Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was joking, Direct Action is just more corporate welfare and not designed for citizens, we are discouraged from taking any action.

You can aggregate emissions reductions to join the auction. Shall we band together all our old cars, aggregate the emissions that would be reduced by buying Model S and put it in the auction? (It would also make a farce of the process which would be grand). I just calculated that replacing my car will reduce emissions by 2.5 tons a year.

- - - Updated - - -

I've put in a 5KwH SMA inverter with 6KwH worth of panels specifically in anticipation of my Tesla. So far have managed to achieve circa 45kw per day in peak of summer which should be enough to charge the car over the weekend (Sat/Sun) from 50% flat, based on 220km per working week use.

I'm jealous of all you guys with panels on your roof. As I'm renting an apartment it simply isn't an option for me so I have to buy 100% GreenPower at quite a steep price!

Last edited:
I've put in a 5KwH SMA inverter with 6KwH worth of panels specifically in anticipation of my Tesla. So far have managed to achieve circa 45kw per day in peak of summer which should be enough to charge the car over the weekend (Sat/Sun) from 50% flat, based on 220km per working week use.

45kWh per day is a lot of energy, that's great. Should be more than enough assuming you aren't driving long distances each day!

45kWh per day is a lot of energy, that's great. Should be more than enough assuming you aren't driving long distances each day!

The problem is that it's only generated during the day - when, in my case, the car isn't plugged in. My 2kW system generates up to 14 kWh on a good day. On a cloudy or winter day though the number is dramatically different. I have a tree that the council won't let me cut down that gets in the way when the sun is lower during winter - cutting the output to 4KWh. :(

Over 5kW is treated as a small scale generator that has seperate requirements with the distributor in regards to power quality. At least that's how it is in my area.

Alexiw23 and others, these are the Ausgrid rules for connection for NSW.

http://www.ausgrid.com.au/Common/Our-network/Standards-and-Guidelines/Customer-installation-advice/~/media/Files/Network/Documents/CIA/CIA1381.pdf

and

Solar bonus scheme - NSW Resources and Energy

It seems you can run two subsystems, the former gross metered FIT plus a new net metered system. I will be doing this soon, prob July.

A small storage unit (5 kWh) can offset peak power usage at 50-57 cents per kWh all year, charged by solar or off-peak. An electric car can be used to take up daytime some of the excess PV power in summer as a house solar system load, and import night off-peak in winter when the available PV power is lower. The ideal would be two evs so that one of them is usually connected, plus the ability to feed electricity back into the house from the car batteries. Someone wrote somewhere that the Roadster could do this but the S hasn't the software.

The other problem is that its only the peak generating capacity that you achieve for a short time around the solstice, and it'll only be available for your car if you don't use any in your house:frown:

Yes, but for regular Mon/Fri commuters who are prepared to plug-in for the w/e and use a second vehicle then winter sun will generate 17-20Kw per day (off 6KwH system here in WA) and largely charge the car for next week's use (circa 220kms). Weekend home power use is generally down on weekday use for our household due to us being away from the home for hobbies/activities.

The desire to store and use the power we generate will ultimately drive the battery supported system, allowing disconnection from the grid. Prices aren't there yet, but its coming. I can't wait.

The way things are going though, until you can disconnect from the grid you will still have fixed charges that will go up and more added so the energy providers don't loose out from people using solar. And power usage prices will probably go down, anything in surplus usually drops in value.

It's like my water bill; last one was about $200 and $180 was fixed charges.
However there are some funny clauses to water rates. My friend has a vacant block and still has to pay a water connection fee just because it runs in front of his block.

Hopefully nothing like that comes to the power providers.

Yes, it isn't of no use, it'll just rarely provide all the power we use. Of course anything is better than nothing and no PV is still better than petrol

Agree it'll rarely produce a full recharge and yes some solar production is better than none. Sadly the state power generators prevent you from going big with your domestic PV systems - I had an 11KwH system knocked back, which I'd worked out would fully cover the car and house for most of the year. The energy retailers have to be concerned over future margin as PV really takes hold, we're at approx 9% contribution of total demand now, and overnight storage would just about cut the apron strings for many.

Last edited:
Most people buying EV's would also buy a PV system. I think it's a no brainer.

In my situation I want to be independent from the "system" not only for electricity and petrol but also water and most of my food. Next year I am moving to a 7 acre property in the Perth hills.

It will cost about $30k for Western Power to run their line to the house and then another $8k for me install a grid connect PV compared to a 12 kW off grid system for around $45k

http://www.apolloenergy.com.au/products/saps-kits/SAPS-kit-12-kWh-day_2

My lifestyle allows me to charge during the day and my work commute from the hills would be about 50km

A state in the USA has passed a bill which allows electricity retailers to charge PV owners connected to the grid a fee of $5 per month. The justification for the fee is that it covers maintenance of the power grid. So it's only a matter of time before it happens here.

I have a 15kW grid connect system that I receive a healthy Feed In Tariff for every kWh exports. I will be adding an extra 10kW system but this will run a solar UPS http://www.lifepo.com.au totally separate from the grid so no need for any approval from the energy companies. There's nothing stopping you from using off peak power to charge the battery system whe the PV isn't enough to handle the demands .. The main thing the energy companies are worried about is power going back into the grid no issues with this system.

The desire to store and use the power we generate will ultimately drive the battery supported system, allowing disconnection from the grid. Prices aren't there yet, but its coming. I can't wait.

Cheap energy storage is the key - once we have that sorted the game changes dramatically - not just for off grid, but for the traditional generators as well. They also will be able to better manage their generation and distribution costs, and the pricing models will need to change. Of course PV is only one component here, geo and wind farm generation also can play a significant part, but one of the most stunning missed opportunities are all of the relatively empty and unshaded rooftops on so many industrial buildings.

I'll be expanding my system when the economics of the storage or the output per $ changes. A used 85kWh battery with 60kWh of life in it would be interesting & would power my house for several days in bad weather.

I am moving to a 7 acre property in the Perth hills next year. I will cost me about $30k for Western Power to run their line to my house. An off grid system 12 kW system is about $45K. Less than half the price of the car!

http://www.apolloenergy.com.au/products/saps-kits/SAPS-kit-12-kWh-day_2

My work commute will be 50km and my lifestyle allows me to charge during the day.

In the USA one state has passed a bill that allows retail power companies to charge grid connect PV a monthly fee. It's only a matter of time before it happens here.

Here's something totally off topic that you guys might find interesting. The old man's yacht with the 3cl cylinder diesel replaced by a 3 phase motor, runs silently with heaps of pace...
bu8yha5e.jpg

What's the range? I'd think that using batteries in the keel instead of ballast could be interesting - albeit with waterproofing problems of it's own. :)

Not sure on the range, I'll ask. It should be plenty, Its a 40kW motor, which is plenty for a yacht! Lots of tidying to do after the conversion, but it powers beautifully and completely silent!

Edit: there's 20kWh of batteries, which are under the floor, should be about 5 hours of normal motoring, which would be rare. There's 800W of panels on top, and capability for a gen-set when you're planning to be doing longer than a day trip. In a 36'.

Last edited: