Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. Another week without pricing. What possible "charging issue" can there be that can so materially affect pricing that it has delayed release of prices for a month? OK pricing in Australia is complicated by the ridiculous state system, but not THAT complicated. Even as a non programmer I can see ways to work around that issue. They have already resolved not to give us mobile connectors. The low power wall boxes are specified at 220 v for UK and Hong Kong. So, other than the physical pins of our plugs, which ought not be an issue since the units are meant to be hard wired at owners expense, what is the problem? My frustration meter has gone way beyond red line - it is circling the dial again!!
Are signature reservation holders supposed to get an email ahead of others? Is the email in advance of the website?

yeah it's weird.

But at the end of the day I think pricing will come in very close to what we have predicted so far. Just look at HK pricing for base US cost + freight. Then do currency conversion. Add GST, LCT and stamp duty. I don't think it'll be very far from that.

I am wondering if they are thinking of ditching superchargers in AU altogether for now.

They updated the supercharger map (Supercharger | Tesla Motors) to include Asia, but there is no sign of Australia on the Asia map. Given it includes 'coming soon' chargers, you might think they would create it with Australia in it if they were planning to.

On the plus side, hopefully this would drop the prices a little. We might even be happier enabling them at a future time and not paying LCT on the additional cost.

For those frustrated with waiting, keep in mind there are loads of people who waited years for delivery. A few months is nothing.

As for the Supercharger map, the simple answer to your comment of Australia not being on the Asian map, it is likely they just haven't got around to it. Tesla is a small company and huge resources are going to the US, Europe and China. Australia's 30 or so deliveries will probably have to wait a while.

With that, prices will not drop. You will pay the same as the rest of the world and then the "Australia tax" will add 50-80% to it. That's the reality, the market is just too small to have top priority but it will get serviced eventually.

I've just got my reservation ID through - 197 . I did it via NAB but had to use the Wells Fargo SWIFT id, not the Westpac one.

It's taken me ages to make the decision but the last weeks have been agonisingly slow. I can't even think how it must feel for those who have been waiting for months, years (Dborn). SO every time I feel frustrated I will think of you 'long-term' waiters.

Good to see the number of reservations ramping up.

That makes 72 reservations in the last 6 months, or 12 per month: Tesla in Australia? - Page 34
There were 3 months between my #99 (Aug 2013) and gizmonty's #125 or ~8 per month
and 8 months to go from #49 (Dec 2012) to #99 (6 per month)

That's pretty cool. It will interesting to see what rate they churn out the RHD. I remember reading somewhere that they were only producing 500 in the first batch - I assume this includes UK and Japan :-(
It might take a while for mine.

I've just got my reservation ID through - 197 . I did it via NAB but had to use the Wells Fargo SWIFT id, not the Westpac one.

It's taken me ages to make the decision but the last weeks have been agonisingly slow. I can't even think how it must feel for those who have been waiting for months, years (Dborn). SO every time I feel frustrated I will think of you 'long-term' waiters.

Looks like the Novocastrians got in together! I'm 198. Agree with your comment too Mike, frustrating for us let alone those who have been waiting for years.

Last night while driving home from work...as Precious clicked over 200,000k's... i pondered why i was waiting to put down that deposit...by the end of my drive i'd concluded there was no reason.

As long as the price isn't ridiculously unattainable i'm committed to Tesla.

*waits patiently for reservation#*

I don't think they would one has nothing to do with the other
I wonder if they are worried about announcing the pricing during the "quiet period" before earnings release. Those aren't regulated by law or the SEC - at least not directly. They are all about making sure that you don't release material information about the performance in a manner not complying with SEC rules - so most public companies are rather careful about what they do right before their earnings release...
OK, that's pure speculation as I can't quite see how the Australian sales price would be material here. UNLESS, of course, they will announce that they decided not to sell in Australia. THAT would potentially be material...

UNLESS, of course, they will announce that they decided not to sell in Australia. THAT would potentially be material...

Whilst it always remains as a very remote possibility I think it is exceedingly unlikely that they would not sell in Australia:
1) They have previously sold the roadster here
2) They have appointed two asset lites (Stone in Sydney and Cary? in Melbourne) who have been communicating and meeting with reservation holders
3) They are advertising for service, sales and other staff
4) They are putting a vehicle through the approval processes for Australia
5) Test drives are due to commence in near future
6) Multiple statements have been made including Australia as one of the RHD markets

The charging standards reason being given for the delay in pricing release is supported by changes in charging cables/options in other new markets (see threads for HK, UK etc.). Tesla also need to make a call on whether supercharging will be offered in Australia at all or in the near future and therefore whether supercharger access is included in the pricing. I think it is more likely that whichever department/person is making the final call on what will be rolled out in Australia is busy resolving the details for other new (larger) markets and unfortunately we are being put to one side in the short term.

Well, if supercharger access is not planned for the near foreseeable future, then I, for one, would be pleased to see a price reduction and consequently decreased taxation. However, if they then do decide to give us access, then the price charged to activate it on in the vehicle should be what would have been added in the price for customs purposes. That is, what would have been added in originally, not like the aftermarket price charged in the USA. This would be what i have been advocating - removal of items to make them an aftermarket product and therefore a saving in luxury car tax AND stamp duty. (GST would of course be payable.) So, a $3313 dollar saving in NSW. (USD2000+10%+ 33%+5% at todays exchange rate). (AUD2156.00 converted from USD2000.00)

Tesla haven't announced anything yet, but in every market they have entered, plans have been made for SuperChargers. I can't see why Australia would be any different.

Australia is different. Our population size and density and distances between sizable population centres is substantially different to every other market they've launched in. The only region with a smaller population is Hong Kong and their sales numbers are much higher than what it looks like will happen here.

I know that we have a man-on-the-ground from Tesla, but until pricing and availability is announced I'm going to remain somewhat concerned that these delays are Tesla carefully re-evaluating whether there is a business case for launching the Model S in Australia. The fact they've done as much as they have so far is not reassuring to me. If they make a realisation that they'll lose less money by pulling out now than staying, then that is what they will do.

Too pessimistic?

Australia is different. Our population size and density and distances between sizable population centres is substantially different to every other market they've launched in. The only region with a smaller population is Hong Kong and their sales numbers are much higher than what it looks like will happen here.

I know that we have a man-on-the-ground from Tesla, but until pricing and availability is announced I'm going to remain somewhat concerned that these delays are Tesla carefully re-evaluating whether there is a business case for launching the Model S in Australia. The fact they've done as much as they have so far is not reassuring to me. If they make a realisation that they'll lose less money by pulling out now than staying, then that is what they will do.

Too pessimistic?

Yes, too pessimistic.

There indeed is a business case for launching the Tesla Model S in Australia. Because there is more than only the Tesla Model S. Many more models will follow (and in much higher quantities). First steps are always more difficult and take more time and effort.