Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW not sure if anyone was tracking what 'careers' were listed on tesla's website (Careers | Tesla Motors) but of the 2 sydney sales sites, the melbourne sales and service locations for each there is now only a field technician job posting for Sydney left.
Did anyone check that they were advertising for all of the other positions?
If yes then its a good sign that they've been fulfilled.

Zero chance of car production in Australia. Folks who think that could be reality just don't understand globalisation and cost structures.

I have been semi - regularly following the Teslamotors jobs page and have only ever seen service technician jobs.
I think the Sydney and Melbourne stores are just place holders for when they start to recruit for sales reps.
I think Jay may now or may soon be back at Tesla and wold probably be involved in store development.
If the recent Drive article is accurate we may have a store by mid year and I doubt they will recruit for these until just before they open. Tesla-to-return-to-Australia

I don't think its a "placeholder" as you can look back in waybackmachine at the careers page and see that there was positions advertised and no longer are.
I've worked with enough high-tech companies that have 'careers' pages driven by automated requisition stuff and its not likely they aren't yet / haven't yet started recruiting given they would need to train someone up.

The bigger question is where the stores are. :)

Zero chance of car production in Australia. Folks who think that could be reality just don't understand globalisation and cost structures.

Slow down there fella. Don't confuse faint hope with a lack of any sort of grasp on reality or understanding of macroeconomics and cost structures. I could go into how much I actually do understand of those topics, but then I'd probably sound like a douche. Nobody wants to sound like a douche.

Would be good if we could do something about the current cost structure of Model S purchases by getting rid of the LCT for ZEVs and possibly lobbying for the addition of other ZEV incentives though (see what I did there). At least that is definitely something that is not in the realm of zero chance. Although, maybe this is also just faint hope and I have no grasp of politics and taxes. May as well just give up if there's zero chance of making any difference I guess... /sarcasm and doucheness

(apologies for any doucheness in the above) :cool:

Anyway, yes, I am also excited to find out where the stores will be and hopefully we'll get to see the Model S in Australia in a few months. :biggrin: Hopefully it doesn't turn out that I'm too optimistic for my own good. :wink:

Welcome back, JMAC. Presume the signature colours still available given the fact they are still offering Signature reservations on the Aussie website. Back at Tesla? Hope so. Take care.

Finally tesla shares are higher than what I bought them for!

Come on Tesla, time to release Aussie pricing and the confirmed delivery first models will hit our shores!

That Hong Kong pricing is looking pretty good! Also, the treasurer suggested today that as a result of Toyota's decision to shut up shop in Australia, there may be a reduction in tariffs for imported cars... could only be good news for Tesla purchasers.

Joe Hockey, Toyota at odds whether union to blame for car maker's closure

In a more positive consequence of Toyota's decision, Australians could be saving between $1000 and $2000 on each imported cars before the next election, with Mr Hockey giving his strongest indication yet that he will abolish tariffs on luxury and imported cars.

Now Toyota is stopping building cars in Australia in 2017, heralding the end of car manufacturing in this country, Mr Hockey admitted there was no longer a local industry to protect with 5 per cent tariffs.

“There's a legitimate case put forward to remove tariffs where there is no local motor vehicle manufacturing industry,” Mr Hockey told Fairfax Radio on Wednesday.

“This is something that will certainly be considered by our review of taxation, which will occur in the next 18 months or so, and certainly before the next election,” he added.

Good to be back IB - not long now with pricing only us left ;-).....pretty soon we will be talking about the weeks leading up to drop day and not months (or the years) - big shout to everyone that has stayed in there - as IsBrown and Dborn and others will agree - so so so worth the wait!

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are right Dborn - and an assett lite position has been posted for AU in the last week - so focus toward Q2 - June for drop....

- - - Updated - - -

hmmmm....i think this will take some time to trickle down.....but welcomed....call me the skeptic after 20 years with cars.....but unravelling a government income stream wont be an over night thing....

- - - Updated - - -

I think HK prices are a fairly good indicator - not giving too much away - but inline with previous thoughts and planning.....as i think i may have mentioned before, TM approach to markets globally with Model S has been to take the US price point - uplift a small % for marketing and local infrastructure plus shipping - then the AU impost from there -

Good to be back IB - not long now with pricing only us left ;-).....pretty soon we will be talking about the weeks leading up to drop day and not months (or the years) - big shout to everyone that has stayed in there - as IsBrown and Dborn and others will agree - so so so worth the wait!

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are right Dborn - and an assett lite position has been posted for AU in the last week - so focus toward Q2 - June for drop....

- - - Updated - - -

hmmmm....i think this will take some time to trickle down.....but welcomed....call me the skeptic after 20 years with cars.....but unravelling a government income stream wont be an over night thing....

- - - Updated - - -

I think HK prices are a fairly good indicator - not giving too much away - but inline with previous thoughts and planning.....as i think i may have mentioned before, TM approach to markets globally with Model S has been to take the US price point - uplift a small % for marketing and local infrastructure plus shipping - then the AU impost from there -
hi iMac, just one question though, what do you mean by " an asset position has been posted in the last week"? Sorry, not understanding the English!

Tesla are recruiting/advertising on their website a sales position in Sydney called "Asset Lite"
AHHH....thanks, found it. It was hiding!! So my understanding from the job description is that there should be at least a single vehicle here for test drives operating out of the service centre.? And colour samples?
Hmmm... Thursday morning should be interesting for us then. Could it really be that the long wait is finally coming to an end? Hopefully the vehicles will have all the improvements in US service bulletins and upgraded seats as has been mooted in the forums? Latest software I would expect as a given.

Hmmm... Thursday morning should be interesting for us then. Could it really be that the long wait is finally coming to an end? Hopefully the vehicles will have all the improvements in US service bulletins and upgraded seats as has been mooted in the forums? Latest software I would expect as a given.

Where do you see mentions of upgraded seats? I'd love to see better seats, even the i3 seats are more comfortable and that car is a third of the price!

I believe that Elon may have made mention of it in passing during his recent Europe tour, but if not, then someone in one of the forums mentioned it. So, overall, not a confirmed event, but it would be nice. The interior is one of the most complained about features of the car. i am planning to manufacture my own new timber trim using Tasmanian Myrtle and to make my own centre console using the same timber and having it locally upholstered. Lack of grab handles is not so easily overcome, and in my view, essential for us arthritically challenged people.
Getting excited this week, I hope not unrealistically......

I believe that Elon may have made mention of it in passing during his recent Europe tour, but if not, then someone in one of the forums mentioned it. So, overall, not a confirmed event, but it would be nice. The interior is one of the most complained about features of the car. i am planning to manufacture my own new timber trim using Tasmanian Myrtle and to make my own centre console using the same timber and having it locally upholstered. Lack of grab handles is not so easily overcome, and in my view, essential for us arthritically challenged people.
Getting excited this week, I hope not unrealistically......

That's quite the job you're undertaking there! After having driven the i3, I'm of the opinion that it's a far better car due to the interior, just limited by range.

You mentioned Thursday earlier, is there an event happening that I'm not aware of?

The quarterly earnings report happens this Wednesday, California time - our Thursday morning..... hanging out for that. They usually provide market guidance and sometimes that involves announcements....
They DID announce Hong Kong pricing last week, so, there may even be a slight possibility of us all getting THE e-mail before Thursday. (gee, 3 years on the reservation list is a looooong time!!)
i have sat in the i3 but it was not available to test drive in Sydney. Also, this was a preproduction car and there were fit and finish issues, which the dealer claimed would be sorted by delivery time. However, i agree, the interior was quite nice with some quirky issues such as the control stalk and, of course the overall appearance. Probably a good commuter car, not suited for distance driving, but lets face it, how often do we go on long drives? As a second family car, a moms taxi, very suitable. My concern is with the cost of the tyres fitted to it. I suspect that they are very expensive (they are a lot narrower than most standard tyres), and the cost of any panel repair work - I was told that at present, the car might have to go to Melbourne for any repairs.....

The quarterly earnings report happens this Wednesday, California time - our Thursday morning..... hanging out for that. They usually provide market guidance and sometimes that involves announcements....
They DID announce Hong Kong pricing last week, so, there may even be a slight possibility of us all getting THE e-mail before Thursday. (gee, 3 years on the reservation list is a looooong time!!)
i have sat in the i3 but it was not available to test drive in Sydney. Also, this was a preproduction car and there were fit and finish issues, which the dealer claimed would be sorted by delivery time. However, i agree, the interior was quite nice with some quirky issues such as the control stalk and, of course the overall appearance. Probably a good commuter car, not suited for distance driving, but lets face it, how often do we go on long drives? As a second family car, a moms taxi, very suitable. My concern is with the cost of the tyres fitted to it. I suspect that they are very expensive (they are a lot narrower than most standard tyres), and the cost of any panel repair work - I was told that at present, the car might have to go to Melbourne for any repairs.....

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the panel repair issues but BMW in the US assured me that the tires would cost less than regular tires over the life of the car.

When you get a chance to drive one you should definitely take advantage of it. The accelerator/regenerative braking was Model S like but everything else was truly European. Even the doors, which are lighter than the Model S, closed with a far more reassuring thunk. I'll probably end up with both cars. :)

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the panel repair issues but BMW in the US assured me that the tires would cost less than regular tires over the life of the car.

When you get a chance to drive one you should definitely take advantage of it. The accelerator/regenerative braking was Model S like but everything else was truly European. Even the doors, which are lighter than the Model S, closed with a far more reassuring thunk. I'll probably end up with both cars. :)

Lol

I've owned my model s for about 2 weeks now, and holy chit would never buy any other car.

I've owned an 04 745i, and countless 300Cs and Jeep Grand Cherokees, so I haven't found the interior quality lacking, things I miss the most are adaptive cruise and vented seats.

Even though I came from a Jeep srt8, this acceleration is ridiculous haha (P85)

hi iMac, just one question though, what do you mean by " an asset position has been posted in the last week"? Sorry, not understanding the English!

Asset Lite is a role within Tesla that typically prepares the market for launch - in the old days an asset lite would arrive in a market and connect with customer and prospective customers....

- - - Updated - - -

Correct - There should be a car with Huw and the Asset Lite to commence TD's - will begin in Syd but they should work on plans for a roadshow - syd, mel, sa, wa then qld and back to syd