Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The basic conceit of the article is true though, and something that us Tesla lovers have known for some time. Tesla is disruptive in that in all its world markets so far, it's charging just the cost of the vehicle in the US, plus any applicable local taxes and the cost of importation. This is why when detractors were suggesting the base model would cost towards $200k in Australia (eg. that Gizmodo article a while back), those of us in the know were quietly sure they were wrong and that the base would be around $100k or less - and we were right.

This Tesla blog post captures their fresh attitude convincingly:
A Fair Price | Blog | Tesla Motors

Order Confirmed!

P85
Red Multicoat
Pano
Air
Dual Chargers
Tech
Grey Leather
Parking Sensors

Woohoo! My heart is racing - not sure if it is excitement or the fun/fear of spending that much money online.

Congrats! and I know the feeling, although every time I think about the car it makes me smile, no regrets here.
And you can add me the the list of people that is paying more for this car than I paid for my house, and double what I paid for my current car.

So if I have a single charger on my Model S, and we get given a 40amp wall unit, and I only reall yhave normal 10A 240V power points - what should I ask my electrician to install to get maximum charge possible for my Model S?

The question can only be answered by first knowing if you have single phase or three phase power in your house.
If you don't know the answer to this then go look at your switchboard / meter and see if you have breakers in gangs of 3 or just single ones and that answers this question.

For Melbourne single-phase, its typical that you have an 80A power feed into your house. (that is, the power cable from street to house is capable of at most 80A @ 230V and that is the typical size of the "service fuse" on the connection of your premises to the 'LV' network.)
There is significant derating that goes on and its common for you to have a 20% derating from this on the main circuit breaker, i.e. typical a 63A breaker in your fuse box.

This means that the total combination of everything electrical in your house cannot exceed 63A @ 230V = 14.4KW but reality is that a single 'breaker' will be less than that.

I don't know what is actually possible as "continual current" but making the assumption that its realistic to have a single breaker at 40A on your switchboard then with 20% derating on that it would mean an EVSE home charger could deliver 230A @ 32A = 7360W instantaneous. If we make an assumption that its 95% efficiency then that means for every hour plugged in it could provide around 7kWh/hr (230x32x0.95) of charge.
If you were connected to TOU metering (we are, NMI starts with 64) and you get off-peak electricity midnight-7am Mon-Fri then in the 8 hours offpeak you could 'add' approx 56kWh of energy into the battery.

If it would be possible for the EVSE to be wired up to continuously draw 40A (not sure yet, have to ask a sparky about that) then it would be closer to 70kWh and pretty much enough to go from the 'empty' to 'full' when on normal charging [rather than 'range' charging].

I'm very excited to see prices at last, and very jealous of those that have already ordered.

My dream configuration is probably out of my reach, but a nicely specced S85 looks achievable (and I need to keep reminding myself I can subtract $6k from any price the website spits out - that means the suspension and sound are free, right?). I'm trying to get my accountant to respond to my emails at the moment to work out how best to finance it (mortgage, novated lease, sell shares? - get back to me Simon!). Once that is sorted, I just need to convince my wife (I think I'm there) and pull the trigger.

Once you do hit go on the website, what is the process for payment?

My order is confirmed.
S85
White
Black Leather
Piano Black
Dual Chargers

Now I need to tell the finance department.
I feel a divorce in the making!

Congrats! I (fortunately) showed my wife before the prices were up on the site to get colour approval, etc (long story but her last car when I ordered I got the wrong colour and have been reminded many times since).

Maybe show her the US site - the pricing looks much more appealing :) Also, you will be saving SOOOOO much money throughout every year you own the Tesla.

Has anyone in Sydney priced getting 3 phase connected? If so, what did it cost you and is there an additional charge each month for having it?
It was installed when i built. Cannot remember pricing. However, there is no additional monthly charge for having it. You might need a new meter tho'. Another cost to consider, beyond the cables from the street. Also, you need a more qualified sparky to do the job. ?level2 or level 3 certificate? Then, you may also need to load balance, that is, rewire your switchboard to spread the draw more equally across the 3 phases in your home, such as say kitchen on 1 phase, air con on a different phase and so on.

If your demands for range are not that great, have your electrician install a 15amp power point, or even a 20, and that would probably do you. Otherwise you are going to have to go to the expense of bringing in a larger supply off the street./QUOTE]

The cable and circuit breaker size that supplies 10amp, 15amp and 20amp outlets is exactly the same.
If you don't plan on moving the charger, definitely Hardwire it.

Has anyone in Sydney priced getting 3 phase connected? If so, what did it cost you and is there an additional charge each month for having it?

What makes you think you may need three phase? I'm led to believe its technically feasible to get 40A single phase which (assuming 95% efficiency) which is 8.7kWh/hr.
Ok its not supercharger territory (200+A/~350-390V DC) but its likely 'good enough' for majority of cases.

The only way three phase power will provide an advantage is if you spec'd the "dual chargers" AU$1800 option which enables up to 80A HPWC.

Likely cost of getting 3 phase is pretty similar wherever you are in Australia. There will be costs associated with connection to street / service fuses, meter changeover and main switchboard changes. Whether your power is overhead or underground, distances and so on will be a big factor, likely $5K 'typical' but maybe $3K to $8K range.

What makes you think you may need three phase? I'm led to believe its technically feasible to get 40A single phase which (assuming 95% efficiency) which is 8.7kWh/hr.
Ok its not supercharger territory (200+A/~350-390V DC) but its likely 'good enough' for majority of cases.

The only way three phase power will provide an advantage is if you spec'd the "dual chargers" AU$1800 option which enables up to 80A HPWC.

Likely cost of getting 3 phase is pretty similar wherever you are in Australia. There will be costs associated with connection to street / service fuses, meter changeover and main switchboard changes. Whether your power is overhead or underground, distances and so on will be a big factor, likely $5K 'typical' but maybe $3K to $8K range.

I have optioned dual chargers for future proofing but have not confirmed the config yet. My concern is that there aren't too many >7kW chargers around Australia, and that the only way to get any benefit is to have 3 phase at home. Additionally, if I add up everything in the house I'm coming pretty close to the 80/100A service limit right now and so getting a 20 or 32A circuit could be an issue.

There are 2x10A circuits (with 16A breakers)
10A for lights
20A off peak hot water
20A oven
32A air-co
-----
92A......

Tesla in Australia?

There are 2x10A circuits (with 16A breakers)
10A for lights
20A off peak hot water
20A oven
32A air-co
-----
92A......

It doesn't quite work like that.
You really need to find out the size of your cable coming from your suppliers connection point to your house and how the cable is installed. This will let you know how much current you can draw from your energy provider.

The other thing to do is a maximum demand. It's the Australian standards way of tallying up everything electrical in your house(different from adding up circuit breakers).
And you need a licensed electrician to do this for you.
I'm in Launceston so sorry but I can't come round and help you ;) happy to give some tips if you need it though.