Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Already beaten to it by TESSOLAR, but test drive confirmed all that we have read about the car. I just can't believe how smooth the car is - it just seems to flow where you will it to rather than bumping, growling, jerking and waiting for turbos that we are used to with ICE's.

I was was further reminded how great it will be not to drive an ICE on the way home when I filled up my current car and can still smell diesel in my hands!!

Thanks to Stone, Cary and James for putting on this weekends test drives.

Whilst we were waiting for the test drive an older guy carrying his shopping came past and started looking at the MC red car. Our joint assumption that he wouldn't have a clue about the car was rapidly dismissed when he said "is this will-I-ams car?". Stone stepped in and said that it isn't Will-I-Ams car, but yes he does have one. The guy then asked about range and charging time and after having been told the facts commented "that is much better and more useable than my Leaf". He then took Stone's card and continued on his way!

Sounds like you've all had a great weekend! Waiting for the general public non-res holder events then I'll fly down to Syd and have a look.

They are already accepting test drives for the general public so fly on down!

- - - Updated - - -

So what's that make it now - 3 for Syd and 1 for Melb?

I didn't confirm how many were for Sydney and Melbourne so it wouldn't surprise me if 2 were going down to Melbourne tomorrow.

Great work Ascientist, I support that notion.

Can you please elaborate a bit on what you liked most about the car? Perhaps something that was unexpected? Or even if there was something that wasn't as good as you had hoped?

Thwre are many things that I found surprising. Firstly it does not look like it has been designed by a committee no one said NO. Like a show car. I also liked the customisation available, they haven't segmented the market like traditional car companies, if you want sporty, you have it, you want comfort.. Great dial that in also. I love the way it's like a personal item not an appliance. As for driving, it's a huge car, really huge! and I have to say I do like the huge on the outside small on the inside (feel) traditional US design. But it's fun. It is also heavy it feels solid and nippy, the turning circle is surprisingly small. It's a limo and a sports coupe. The regen function is rather good, as a committed hypermiler (hybrid) I estimate it will be possible to get far more range when driving conservatively. I have to summarise by saying that this is the kind of car that a teenage boy would design whilst wasting time at school, long smooth lines, fast acceleration, and all the fantastic things one could dream up to include, self levelling suspension, steering customisation, internet all the time, customisable sound, flashing lights, pop out handles... The list goes on.

Whilst we were waiting for the test drive an older guy carrying his shopping came past and started looking at the MC red car. Our joint assumption that he wouldn't have a clue about the car was rapidly dismissed when he said "is this will-I-ams car?". Stone stepped in and said that it isn't Will-I-Ams car, but yes he does have one.

What time was this? I think I was standing next to you at the time... ;) if I'd have realised I'd have made sure to introduce myself properly. I rode my bike there and was carrying the helmet wearing black leathers.

- - - Updated - - -

So how do you guys feel after the test drives?

More at peace that your have made the right decision, our more anxious than ever to get your own?

Yes, although still agonising over the Pearl White vs MC red decision after seeing the MC red. I'd still like to have driven an S on 19s to get a better feel of the performance and handling rather than the P85+ demo cars. Tech wise it's hard not to be happy since nothing else is even close.

It would have been just before 11 as that was when my test drive was. I was wearing a blue shirt and my mate who had come along for the ride was wearing a red jumper if that helps!

I might make a new rule for myself - if I see someone at a test drive, I'll introduce myself and ask if they're on TMC. If yes, swap aliases and rejoice in the awkwardness. If not, tell them to get the hell on here!