Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a bit of an odd location, Church Street is good, many other luxury brands around (Ferrari, Maserati and Lamborghini are nearby in Swan St) and close enough to the city for people to stop by on the way home if needed. Right near citylink too.

Quite close to South Yarra, Toorak and the leafy/afluent (south)eastern suburbs.

The atmosphere here seems quite similar to what in Hong Kong, at the beginning of July.

Cars were produced, on the way for sure, then we knew some arrived. "Transport Department" were doing their keep-bum-in-seats stalling manoeuvres to show they are important, and so was the customs. OK, it was nothing compared to what happened in China.

Anyway, Tesla Motors HK were either quiet, or slinging around excuses and fairy tales - yet suddenly, there was almost out of the blue, an email on July 15th, about a July 23rd Signature "first delivery" event - a mere 8 days notice!

And 8 cars were delivered that day - is it necessary to say that the number 8 is a lucky number in Hong Kong? The more 8s, the better.

If that is a clue at all - well, it might be a happy christmas in Australia as well! I have now had my S85 since September 23rd - 4 months ago was the HK launch event, 2 months ago I got my car, both to the date TODAY. 2400 km later and this being my first car in Hong Kong, I am surprised I have been able to avoid any speeding tickets so far. A colleague of mine from Old Zealand told me your traffic cams are calibrated so precisely they fine you for less than a percent deviation of what's on the signs.

Good luck having a Tesla Model S in Australia under those conditions. Can you have an automatic account transfer agreement so they can take the fines straight out of your account automatically?

Not in Victoria - where you will get a ticket 3km/h over...

Those are for Victoria. That's alleged speed and detected speed. If you're travelling 67kph on on 60 zone, the camera takes a shot. Your infringement will tell you that your detected speed is 67, alleged speed is 63. Victoria is very generous with the speed cameras I suppose, compare to copper nabbing you. Cops don't do thresholds. If a copper sees you in his gun travelling 62, he would ping you especially if he's not in the mood and you driving a Tesla. ☺️

Green light it's a go!!! :biggrin:

Now I just need a model S to plug it into. :crying:
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Related - i was once told by a highway patrolman (a patient) that no cameras or speed traps are located at the bottom of a hill. That could/would be regarded as entrapment by the courts. so, if we are using all that torque climbing out the other side..... you WILL be pinged!!!

He lied. I've seen them at the bottom of hills on the commenara parkway & also link road, etc etc. not forgetting the fixed camera on the spit hill, in Mosman, and halfway down hills in castle hill - too many to list.

He lied. I've seen them at the bottom of hills on the commenara parkway & also link road, etc etc. not forgetting the fixed camera on the spit hill, in Mosman, and halfway down hills in castle hill - too many to list.

I agree, I've seen them at the bottom of hills all over the place. However, just so you're aware, the camera near The Spit isn't active if you're heading towards the beaches (I've confirmed this on accident).

Hi Aussies!

Great to see that delivery of cars down under is getting closer. I follow the build out of supercharges with interest. One day I would like to go to Australia and either rent a model S or do a car swap with an Aussie wanting to explore Norway/Scandinavia in our P85+.

Please start supercharger-spotting!

Pick up rumours? Please try to confirm them towards publicly searchable journals of the building councils or similar bodies that have to be involved. Look for building sites - a sure sign in Europe is digging activity at the corner of a parking lot/highway rest stop with big wooden creates marked "Tesla"...

The usual placement is along the main routes between the cities and in rarer cases inside the cities.

Sometimes Tesla uses the simpler solution - this is to place a small 2-stander charger on a pallet - just dump it in the middle of 3 parking spots and hook it up to the local electricity feed. This is typically found in UK (due to a clash with another provider of more generic public charging having some kind of exclusivity deal at many highway stops) and in France (due to the French slow moving approval services).

Got any pointers to coming sites? Post them here! And please also PM me or go to supercharge.info and follow instructions under "About".

The difference between the supercharge.info map and the map at Find Us | Tesla Motors is that supercharge.info also indicates sites in the "permit" and "under construction" levels.