Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats to you Australia, good onya!

Just made a comment on this article:

EFTM Tesla is GO in Australia, Showroom Open, Cars delivered and Supercharger Network announced

(Let's see if it stands or they remove it)

I have had a Model S in Hong Kong for almost three months now, over 3000 km. That article mentions 40A charging as something like barely useful. FYI, I got the 13A charger from Tesla, and all I have used so far is either that charger or the superchargers. Although I only get 9 km/h charging, it extends the time until I need to visit the supercharger again - and I can charge from any wall outlet, really. Charging at 13A doesn't draw more than a good sized toaster or water boiler.

13A charging (~230V AC) isn't fast. Isn't the most efficient (charging overhead). But imagine the millions of wall outlets available just about anywhere there is any kind of civilisation.

40A charging, even single phase, is plenty for overnight charging, so don't worry. Just yesterday, when driving to work, I saw a line of ICE cars at a local gas station (Hong Kong), extending out onto the left lane of a dual road, 10 cars piled up on the road, on top of those already inside the station compounds. If you have a charger at home or work, no need to join that line to "recharge" your fossil fuel burner!

Totally expected from the Bible for the blissfully misinformed.

Must say I am extremely underwhelmed by the snail-pace rollout of the Superchargers...especially to QLD by the end of 2016, a whole 2 years from now.
Maybe in Qld they are waiting for 'one-term-Campbell' to follow 'one-term-Dennis' out the electoral door before they get serious about installing infrastructure. I can't imagine that they'd get much support from that State Government.

Maybe in Qld they are waiting for 'one-term-Campbell' to follow 'one-term-Dennis' out the electoral door before they get serious about installing infrastructure. I can't imagine that they'd get much support from that State Government.

Spot on. Don't forget 'one-term Tones'.

Still on the other side of the coin, the benefits of a fast rollout must've eluded management. Superchargers are functional billboards for Tesla...build them and they will come. Convert the doubters & naysayers while delivering on the relatively inexpensive main feature amenity to existing customers.

Please include QLD in the 2015 rollout.

Congrats to you Australia, good onya!

Just made a comment on this article:

EFTM Tesla is GO in Australia, Showroom Open, Cars delivered and Supercharger Network announced

(Let's see if it stands or they remove it)

I have had a Model S in Hong Kong for almost three months now, over 3000 km. That article mentions 40A charging as something like barely useful. FYI, I got the 13A charger from Tesla, and all I have used so far is either that charger or the superchargers. Although I only get 9 km/h charging, it extends the time until I need to visit the supercharger again - and I can charge from any wall outlet, really. Charging at 13A doesn't draw more than a good sized toaster or water boiler.

13A charging (~230V AC) isn't fast. Isn't the most efficient (charging overhead). But imagine the millions of wall outlets available just about anywhere there is any kind of civilisation.

40A charging, even single phase, is plenty for overnight charging, so don't worry. Just yesterday, when driving to work, I saw a line of ICE cars at a local gas station (Hong Kong), extending out onto the left lane of a dual road, 10 cars piled up on the road, on top of those already inside the station compounds. If you have a charger at home or work, no need to join that line to "recharge" your fossil fuel burner!

Can't see you're comment. Must have been removed?

I know that I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I am a little disappointed that on the 2016 map there was nothing about Perth. I want Tesla to explode here, but how many people can afford to both buy the car, and ship it back east if it needs a service? I really hope this changes, or my first electric car may have to be a Leaf. :(

I know that I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I am a little disappointed that on the 2016 map there was nothing about Perth. I want Tesla to explode here, but how many people can afford to both buy the car, and ship it back east if it needs a service? I really hope this changes, or my first electric car may have to be a Leaf. :(
honestly the map makes sense it's where the population is, better be quick you can only get a LEAF in red and black in perth. Nissan is finally running out of the 2012 models.

honestly the map makes sense it's where the population is, better be quick you can only get a LEAF in red and black in perth. Nissan is finally running out of the 2012 models.
I actually want a leaf for my wife. But I'm holding off as it's the old model. Ideally I'll wait for the less ugly (rumoured) revamp, but might not last till the end of next year.

Wish We'd get the e-golf here.

I spotted these two vehicles in the Star taxi/valet area last night. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that these are the Melbourne demonstrator cars! So what's going on in Melbourne now? Interesting...

IMG_2968.JPG
IMG_2969.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Another picture. Just found this on Tesla's website in the supercharging page.

Screen Shot 2014-12-10 at 1.27.28 pm.png

Gives a little more precision to the location of the planned superchargers - at least for 2015.

It would be nice to have some SC's here but of more urgent need is a service centre.

With the South Western Electric Highway going in next year trips to Margaret River are possible with no stress (its only about 300km anyhow). Even Albany/Denmark are possible if there is a charger located in Bridgetown. Hopefully fast DC charger (CHADeMO) which will charge at about 250km/hr. We just need the CHADeMO adapter.

WOO HOO!!!! First drive! Is going to take a bit of getting used to, especially the regen. But, boy does it go smoothly until you put your foot down!! Then the pussycat becomes a very fit young mean leopard!!! Fastest animal in the bush!!! And, whats more, i have an S85, not a P!! Hate to think what a P85D will do on Insane setting!!!! This far more than enough for me, and i like speed!

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the next supercharger will be going in to Goulburn. (my sources). From the map, it like Albury will also get one.

WOO HOO!!!! First drive! Is going to take a bit of getting used to, especially the regen. But, boy does it go smoothly until you put your foot down!! Then the pussycat becomes a very fit young mean leopard!!! Fastest animal in the bush!!! And, whats more, i have an S85, not a P!! Hate to think what a P85D will do on Insane setting!!!! This far more than enough for me, and i like speed!

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the next supercharger will be going in to Goulburn. (my sources). From the map, it like Albury will also get one.

Congrats Dborn!

I know you never would drag anyone off the line - but keep us informed in case you do ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats Dborn, imagine what a D could do!

It would be nice to have some SC's here but of more urgent need is a service centre.

I agree on the service centre, I assumed that service centres would have superchargers present, so therefore would make at least a small blip on the map :p As it is, we look to be all but ignored. Which 'makes sense' but is nevertheless frustrating for those of us who live here. More frustrating for those who have their car on the way though... Or less, since you're actually getting your car soon? Oh well, I'm sure I will be able to join the club eventually. I mean, we just got Krispy Kremes, so surely Tesla can't be far behind :p