Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FTA: "But it's worth noting a car with all this technology is able to limbo to this price because a large chunk of it has been subsidised by a US government trying to reduce its dependence on oil."

Uh, that's not correct - is it? Tesla paid back that loan, and the only other US Government subsidies apply when you buy it in the States.

Hi Guys - not posted much here but an avid reader! I am getting my car on the 16th Jan - its a fully spec'd 60kW model - I'm keen to find other Tesla owners in Europe that might be interested in a car / house swap - My wife and I are going to Germany in March and want to do a road trip there - be good to swap my Model S and maybe my home for a week or 2. Anyone know of these kind of activity happening and possibly where to start looking?

I am settling in. Took a friend for a spin at 5PM. He loved the minimalism and the speed. This is one very fast point to point car. Lovely discreet Jetsons-style whine sometimes. I really like the big rear camera screen when driving.

Rdio worked the first time I tried it this evening. Looks like Dborn woke the engineers up. The music quality is OK if you use the sliders but larger speakers would help. I thought I would see Michelins but we have Eagles. I have driven Michelins for 40 years without a flat. The software recognises our location to increase the suspension height for the driveway, but takes its time to pump itself up so you have to pull over and wait.

Tess has her ways, but rewards you extravagantly in many others.

David

Given lots of test rides already, and all including me are impressed with the sheer power. Why one would need a P or a D beats me. This one is scary enough without the extra horses.
However, for the first time ever, I have managed to scrape wheels. I am embarrassed to admit this but again tonight getting into my garage, managed to hit a step, did significant sidewall damage to a tyre which will probably need replacing ( ouch). Also broke the tiles on the step. Part of my problem is my drive is tight and the car has a large turning circle. But these are excuses, let's be honest. Quite depressed about it. I was probably over confident, as I feel quite confident now after 6 days with it. Obviously not.
This is a loan car, but I feel like it is my own. I suppose that is a silver lining in that I will getting a second chance and also be far more experienced when I get it.

The maximum range in ideal driving conditions is 500km, and it requires a unique charging adaptor (to handle 40 amps), so you can't top up at home or work without a $1000 installation.

At least he is not saying it requires a $10k installation.

But it's worth noting a car with all this technology is able to limbo to this price because a large chunk of it has been subsidised by a US government trying to reduce its dependence on oil. So the Tesla Model S is not exactly competing on a level playing field just yet.

No mention GM direct subsidies in the last 7 years is 20 times the repaid Tesla loan.

No mention Ford unpaid loan is 12 times that of Tesla's repaid Government loan.

No mention Nissan received a loan almost 3 times as large from the US government.

At least he is not saying it requires a $10k installation.

No mention GM direct subsidies in the last 7 years is 20 times the repaid Tesla loan.

No mention Ford unpaid loan is 12 times that of Tesla's repaid Government loan.

No mention Nissan received a loan almost 3 times as large from the US government.
No mention that local pricing isn't affected by any subsidies at all

Congrats guys - really fun following your thread - brings back a lot of memories.

BTW, the subsidies mentioned are in the form of a $7500 US 'Credit' on your income tax (not specific to Tesla alone - most electric vehicles get the same). There are also several States that kick in various amounts in various forms. Here in California, you get a rebate check of $2500 US.

But if that was all it took to get this ball rolling - well worth it!!

Notes re Victorian registration process.

Most of these comments have been duplicated on Whatapp.

1. As this was the first Tesla registered in Victoria, I had to produce the original import documentation. Fortunately Ben had this to hand and was able to arrange a faxed copy.

2. I also had to produce a signed invoice to prove ownership. Ben faxed this down from Sydney.

3. I had to have an RWC – Tesla are apparently saying that it is no longer required. This may be the case now that the first car has been registered, however the website is unclear and it would be wise to double check this with VicRoads.
If you actually don’t need an RWC then you don’t need an unregistered vehicle permit if you only drive to your registration appointment. If it turns out that you actually do need an RWC then you will need an unregistered vehicle permit to drive to the mechanic’s.

4. VicRoads also require an engine number. I did explain that it didn’t have an engine and then gave them the motor number. They were a little nonplussed that they couldn’t check the engine number without dismantling the car. The motor number is on a label on the inside edge of the back door – it is the ESN the motor number starts with a T.

5. The car could not be registered without nominating the number of cylinders. The field would not accept a zero so the car is registered as a one cylinder car.

6. VicRoads were actually very good and extremely helpful. I took them for a test run much to their delight. They took photos so they could show their managers in Melbourne some of the strange things they have to do at Warragul.

7. Note that making an appointment in the city can take up to a week. If you ask VicRoads they will search for available appointments in the country, which is why I went to Warragul.

8. I did my own registration mainly so I was in control of the process and could take appropriate corrective action. Maybe I am a control freak… but if anything went wrong then it was my problem and I was confident I could sort it out more quickly than the Tesla staff who are unfamiliar with the process. I was prepared to return to Warrigal the following day if required.

9. There were two minor issues when the car was delivered, there was a minor scratch/dent on this footplate on the door sill. This is easily replaced. The other issue is a very minor adjustment that is required to the bonnet to sit this down flush with the fixed panels. Tesla will fix both of these when the Melbourne site is operational or they have a service team in Melbourne.

Cheers Higgy

Last edited:
Vic Roads looking for the engine...

WP_20141215_003.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

what have you done about the EV sticker required for your number plate in Vic ?

Actually forgot about it - no one mentioned this. However my number plate is

WP_20141217_002.jpg

so maybe this counts?

- - - Updated - - -

Also I paid the stamp duty and registration fee with my CC. Tesla will refund this and I get the points :biggrin:

An interesting wrinkle this morning. Went up to the car and handles failed to present. Touched and opened the door. Got set to drive and got told no key detected. Pulled key out of pocket and placed it on centre console as per manual, and no problem. Then, I realised that my iPhone was in the same pocket.
Went past the service centre and spoke to Huw. Indeed, two radio sources close together can interfere with each other. Secondly there are separate antennas with different ranges to detect whether the key is inside the car or outside.