Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone that has a classic P85 that uses a MCU1 and a model 3 that uses a MCU2, I can say that I have never had a desire to have (use) camper mode, dog mode, basic Atari games, Spotify streaming, or improved voice controls in the Classic P85. In the model 3, the only feature used from your list is the dash cam, and only because I’m too lazy to install a better standalone dash cam. All I need voice commands for is for the navigation, which works fine in the MCU1. I have no interest to hear texts while driving, send texts while driving by speaking or using voice command to turn on/off the heat/AC, etc. Nor do I need to stream Netflix, Hulu, etc, which I don’t even have at home.

The browser ran just fine on the MCU1 when the car had version 7 and 8 firmware. The browser didn’t start to not work until version 9 firmware was installed.

All I desire is to have a working browser and the ability to have 3 windows open at the same time, which can be arranged as I desire, which one could do with firmware 7 and 8. Then I can have the Tesla navigation, Waze and the radio/usb/streaming (or rear view camera) on the screen at the same time.

I said they were new features nobody was expecting to get, and were sent out for free, not that they were found to be useful/desireable by 100% of people who own a Tesla.

The rest is venturing too far off topic, so I won’t respond here.

The browser has a significant new bug on MCU1, but does still exist
It loads nothing, not even google, no amount or rebooting fixed it. It takes a real dedicated fanboy to defend Tesla and claim that the feature is still there and Tesla doesn't have any obligation under warranty to fix it (my browser broke while still under warranty, car since went out of warranty). Even if it worked once a week, so what. If the car only drove on Mondays, that would not be considered a working car, even though it still exists.

Having had v8, I don’t find the current software any slower. There have always been similar hesitations and low frame rates while scrolling.
v8 was slower v7. v9 was slower than v8. v10 actually sped up over v9, but still not as fast as v6 for example.

And, of course, even MCU1 performance is far beyond anything on any other currently manufactured car)
Except the other manufacturers don't require multiple clicks on a touchscreen to raise/lower suspension, or turn on headlights, or turn on winter options. Without tactile feedback, you have to keep looking away from the road for a second or two at a time between touches to make sure you got there. With the v10 smaller, monochromatic and simplistic icons, it also takes more attention to find what you need.

Also, having driven a Taycan recently, it's UI is faster than my MCU1 Tesla (and I can turn on headlights much quicker, or lower suspension, though sadly I didn't find the option to auto-lower the suspension, but having the physical button on the steering wheel made up for it).

The visualizations bit is absurd. Nobody was ever promised visualizations beyond what was on the car when they happened to get it. You may, personally, see them as being needed, but your personal belief has no bearing on what was promised.
Not just my personal opinion, I work with a number of companies working on antonymous driving. Some consider the "confidence view" important enough that they mount a screen for rear passengers showing it too (if I'm not mistaken, Waymo did that too, even though the passengers are not required to take over - I've never been in a Waymo car). Their process for test drivers includes a checklist which, as one of the items, verifies that the visualizations are working, if they are not, driver is not allowed to test the car on actual roads.

That level of contortion must require some serious flexibility
You must have something long and rigid immobilizing your spine to a large degree if you see the argument "my browser doesn't load any pages, therefore the feature is broken, but if I pay $2,500 for an upgrade it will load pages again" or "FSD requires HW3, Tesla will not install HW3 with MCU1 today, therefore today MCU2 is required for FSD" as a contortion beyond your flexibility. ;)

Last edited:
it is eye candy TODAY, because visualizations witheld don't affect any actual car functionality (yet).
It's doesn't affect car functionality, it is FSD functionality which affects the driver's ability to monitor and intervene if the car is doing something wrong, so for example you don't freak out when the car crosses to an opposing lane because the visualization is telling you it's attempting to overtake the car in your lane (and maybe that it sees the oncoming car but the path shows FSD will merge back in time).

PS> Not a single FSD feature is released TODAY for anyone with AP2 who paid for FSD (all AP2 FSD were sold using the pre-2019 definition of FSD, where EAP included most of what is today's FSD), even if they upgrade to MCU2 and HW3, However, assuming that they will release at least some even tiny FSD features while still require driver to oversee the system, then visualizations become crucial to help supervise the system. Once FSD reaches what they advertised with AP2 FSD, which is Level 5 autonomy, then visualizations become eye candy. After all, when someone is summoning their car from New York to L.A. (actual example Elon gave) and nobody is in the car, why have the visualizations, right?

Last edited:
MCU1. There’s a relatively recent bug where it comes up with a white screen sometimes until you reboot. I presume that’s what he was talking about.
My browser doesn't load anything since v10, and it was spotty at best on v9. So, I can honestly say, I have never encountered this bug, so it I guess it's fixed then, at least it doesn't affect me (or anyone else whose browser rests in peace).

Realistically, there's a strong possibility many MCU1/FSD vehicles will be sold or traded-in before Tesla gets approval to operate those vehicles without a driver. As Tesla rolls out the FSD software, it will initially be running in "driver assistance" mode, requiring a driver who is monitoring the system and taking responsibility for any mistakes the software makes. That's what we expected when purchasing FSD for our 2017 S and 2018 X.

The visualizations are mostly eye candy today, except for detection of traffic cones on highways when operating under NOAP. In that case, it is useful to verify the software is detecting the traffic cones as the vehicle is approaching the area - and if the display doesn't show the cones, then the driver should be prepared to take over.

Once NOAP operates on surface streets, the visualization will be more useful - when approaching an intersection at full speed, if the driver doesn't see the stop lights or stop signs displayed on the dashboard, that likely indicates the software failed to detect them (perhaps because they were blocked by surrounding vehicles) - and when that happens, the driver can detect that and provide a little time to take over control.

While the improved visualizations aren't required for full self driving (and never promised as part of FSD), they could be very helpful when using NOAP in driver assistance mode...

Reactions: ironwaffle
Memory and perception are subjective (*).

My recollection of the v6, v7 and v8 speeds was that they all were darn slow. Between touching the screen and getting a menu open, that could take a second or two, which is an eternity, compared to the instantaneous reactivity of my smartphone back in 2015.

Here's my take on the browser.
When I got our car, mid 2015, in v6, the browser was very much limited and the supported features as per html5test were far below the 320 score (176?) we get today.
It would allow gps position data refresh only every few minutes or so. Waze, although a great site already, was throttled to a refresh every 2 or 3 minutes and so was not very timely when it came to alerting "risky" zones.
Yes, Waze was stable and did not crash the browser... but alerting was mostly a miss.

In that young small community of customers, complains about kernel and browser rose already and asked about upgrading the kernel core and browser performance. And Tesla worked on that and upgraded both.

Besides that, Tesla also improved the bandwidth and speed of the mobile connectivity. That was also an improvement that was delivered quietly and resulted in faster web pages load.

Today, I have a browser that loads faster any page, is much more compatible with html5, so rarely fails sites.
I’d argue it’s the best version yet.

But... I agree it’s highly unstable.. and make it basically useless.

But it’s not a hopeless case.

The last few weeks I now witness a change in handling of application crash of the MCU. When there seems to be too much happening (e.g. Spotify playing + nav routing on + Tesla Waze + dictating a message to someone...), I see the cellular connection shuts down, followed by the music stopping (not always!), nav screen refresh also may (or not) stop but.. within a minute or so, all apps come back and resumes (music, nav).

So there is work going on in the foundations to make things better.
Stability is looking to be worked on, so I believe it will come.

(*) But a case can also be made that the different experiences with our cars are not only subjective, but can be rationalized due to the so many different configuration and components versions. That's not visible, but beneath and behind, hidden by that common interface, there are many different parts versions to be managed. I'm not talking about the obvious MCU1 vs MCU2, but parts like interfaces (wifi, mobile, ...). I recall a figure of 200 improvements to the car, but I don't recall the frequency (monthly?). So that is probably also a factor having some weight in the divers experiences.

In all fairness, the new functionality of the MCU2 wasn’t ever promised for MCU1. This is all brand new functionality nobody expected to get until they suddenly did.

yea, that is how I feel about it. There has always been improvements from year to year with other manufacturer cars and they don't even offer the ability to upgrade for a fee. I recall the wife mentioning her Acura having a new hard disk navigation system a couple years after she already bought the same model and really wanted in car navigation. Of course this was many years ago. Acura didn't have a means for her to upgrade. Then she finally got a model of another manufacturer car years later with in-car nav and a hard disk map. Wouldn't you know it.... a year later there was a DVD version, bigger display, and a lot of other things in the car. Nope you can't upgrade.

So to us, I don't expect Tesla would freely upgrade our MCU1 just because newer cars have something better. I understand folks whom seem upset by this. We wish we had the newer display, but I am just glad Tesla offers it as an upgrade option. I just can't think of any other manufacturer that does something like that.

I am a MCU1 AP2.5 owner in the Southeast (Charlotte, NC) and I have yet to receive my invite. May be taking a while to get our SC stocked with the new MCU2 units before they contact anyone.
Personally I am not in any hurry. I never like to be one of the first people that a company experiments installing something that has changed. Even if I get an invite, I'm going to wait a couple weeks or more until my service guy tells me they have done several of them.

Did Tesla contact you for the retrofit? Wondering how quickly they are rolling this out.

I had a service appointment for a unrelated reason and inquired about hw3 and asked for mcu2
Did Tesla contact you for the retrofit? Wondering how quickly they are rolling this out.

My car is AP2.5 MCU1. Had an appointment for unrelated reason and I inquired about hw3 and they said I qualified.