Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a March 2018 MS w/AP2.5, MCU1 and FSD. Since I've seen a couple of posts indicating some people have had luck getting the upgrade by scheduling an appointment via the app even tho they haven't received an official invite, I thought I'd give it a try. Within 24 hours of scheduling the appointment, got a text from Tesla canceling the appointment saying I had to wait for the invite. You'd think I'd have learned by now that "Scheduling Now" in Elon speak means in "in the next few months". Just like Charlie Brown thinking Lucky won't move the football this time.

I might see the upgrade as independent of FSD functionality

This is it. YES, the MCU upgrade is independent of the FSD upgrade. It is not required for FSD features except for visualization of stoplights and cones (computer sees them without the MCU upgrade, you just won’t)

If you haven’t experienced the difference between MCU1 and MCU2, the difference is incredible. Imagine if your iPad or phone had the same lag as MCU1, you’d go crazy. MCU2 is immediately responsive. It’s the bees knees, the cats meow. Going from MCU1 to MCU 2 is like
Atari 5200 to PS4
MySpace to Facebook
Nickelback to Van Halen
Charlie Sheen to Martin Sheen
Chicago “pizza” to NY pizza

ok I’m done now. But seriously, MCU2 is a totally different experience, and I’m 100% excited to drop $2500+tax and FM radio to get it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Sorry I got the AP/HW number mixed up in my mind as my vehicle is July 2017 (AP/HW2.0) so one month later was AP/HW2.5 which I was disappointed in and why with the discount on the vehicle I got (service loaner), I just bought FSD upgrade at that time.

Looking forward to my MCU1 -> MCU2 upgrade. As well as my AP/HW2.0 -> FSD/HW3.0 upgrade. All before a couple of summer roadtrips we have planned!!

I'm not sure I agree with the timeline of this hardware release graph? My car was born in March of 2018 and I have MCU1.

IJyxalV.jpg

Via: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

This is it. YES, the MCU upgrade is independent of the FSD upgrade. It is not required for FSD features except for visualization of stoplights and cones (computer sees them without the MCU upgrade, you just won’t)

If you haven’t experienced the difference between MCU1 and MCU2, the difference is incredible. Imagine if your iPad or phone had the same lag as MCU1, you’d go crazy. MCU2 is immediately responsive. It’s the bees knees, the cats meow. Going from MCU1 to MCU 2 is like
Atari 5200 to PS4
MySpace to Facebook
Nickelback to Van Halen

ok I’m done now. But seriously, MCU2 is a totally different experience, and I’m 100% excited to drop $2500+tax and FM radio to get it.

Seriously? Chicago pizza to NY pizza? How metropolitanist!

• Funny
Reactions: captjoemcd
Waiting this one out. The early adopters can pay it forward to enjoy their early access. I am sure this infotainment upgrade is going to either get discounted later or upgraded for free.

In your logic you forgot the most likely scenario. The MCU2 Infotainment upgrade is available for a short time only, so once you miss it, you're stuck on MCU1 and refurbish ones as a $$$ replacement for out of warranty.

Not what you want to hear because you expect it to be cheaper, but let's make sure to list out all possibilities here... with this one being the more reasonable one in my opinion.

Reactions: MP3Mike and drklain
Pretty please - can someone getting the upgrade ask about possibilities for FM tuner replacement?
I asked, and they said no. They don't have any information on it, and I asked if I purchased it would they install it, and they said no. This was the SC that is doing my Infotainment upgrade as we speak. My Model S should be done by Monday.

I've got a March 2018 MS w/AP2.5, MCU1 and FSD. Since I've seen a couple of posts indicating some people have had luck getting the upgrade by scheduling an appointment via the app even tho they haven't received an official invite, I thought I'd give it a try. Within 24 hours of scheduling the appointment, got a text from Tesla canceling the appointment saying I had to wait for the invite. You'd think I'd have learned by now that "Scheduling Now" in Elon speak means in "in the next few months". Just like Charlie Brown thinking Lucky won't move the football this time.

Try gain and include a screen capture of the email that we all got when it was announced.

Atari 5200 to PS4
MySpace to Facebook
Nickelback to Van Halen

Another one to add is

Trying to drive 60 miles distance, but at 10mph vs. 60mph. That's how slow MCU1 is compared to MCU2.

For those who really want to understand how fast it is, go to a SC and ask to play with a Model S or Model X. Then see how fast and responsible MCU2 is to what you have right now. It is lightyears faster, more responsive, quicker, and with instant interaction.

Another one to add is

Trying to drive 60 miles distance, but at 10mph vs. 60mph. That's how slow MCU1 is compared to MCU2.

For those who really want to understand how fast it is, go to a SC and ask to play with a Model S or Model X. Then see how fast and responsible MCU2 is to what you have right now. It is lightyears faster, more responsive, quicker, and with instant interaction.

So a trip from LA to San Francisco will speed up significantly? /s

Is this use case faster? MCU1/ap2. I note that oncoming traffic display on the IC is delayed. There is a quarter second latency. Car goes by, then image of car goes by. Kinda distracting like hearing dialog on a movie before lips move when out of sync. So, is this latency improved? Is this an unimportant visual thing (mcu/ic)? Or is this latency part of the AP system (AP hw).

100% not the most likely scenario. This will be available for all MCU1’s going forward.

Let's hope so, but plan for the worse.

The Infotainment upgrade with HW3 for current AP2.5 owners has it's own part number.
The Infotainment upgrade with HW3 for current AP2.0 owners will also have it's own part number.
The Infotainment upgrade for current AP1 owners will also have it's own part number
The Infotainment upgrade for current Non-AP owners will also have it's owns part number.

I highly doubt they will offer these indefinitely, and I they do, don't expect the price to go down. I don't think the 3G to LTE upgrade went down in price since it was first offered, right?

Is this use case faster? MCU1/ap2. I note that oncoming traffic display on the IC is delayed. There is a quarter second latency. Car goes by, then image of car goes by. Kinda distracting like hearing dialog on a movie before lips move when out of sync. So, is this latency improved? Is this an unimportant visual thing (mcu/ic)? Or is this latency part of the AP system (AP hw).

I'll know more on Monday, but:

(1) Speed, responsiveness and the immediate interactions of MCU2 vs. MCU1 is night and day.
(2) I think IC2 will also be quicker than IC1, but I don't know for sure. I too see the delays, but I'm guessing that's because the AP2.5 that I have right now takes longer to interpret video feeds before it can update the visuals on IC1... Hopefully HW3 that can process many more higher resolution frames (once the re-write occurs), will then update IC2 quicker.

Just a guess.

I'll know more on Monday, but:

(1) Speed, responsiveness and the immediate interactions of MCU2 vs. MCU1 is night and day.
(2) I think IC2 will also be quicker than IC1, but I don't know for sure. I too see the delays, but I'm guessing that's because the AP2.5 that I have right now takes longer to interpret video feeds before it can update the visuals on IC1... Hopefully HW3 that can process many more higher resolution frames (once the re-write occurs), will then update IC2 quicker.

Just a guess.

Fabulous that you see the delay too. We may not know where it is since we’re changing lots of parts (mcu/ic/AP), but I look forward to reading your opinion on overall effect once you get some drive time. Thanks.

I think IC2 will also be quicker than IC1
IC2 is just a dumb screen driven by MCU. So yes you'll see improvements there.

I'm guessing that's because the AP2.5 that I have right now takes longer to interpret video feeds before it can update the visuals on IC1
nope. I see no measurable latency improvements switching between hw2.5 to hw3.
ic1->ic2 - there is.

IC2 is just a dumb screen driven by MCU. So yes you'll see improvements there.

nope. I see no measurable latency improvements switching between hw2.5 to hw3.
ic1->ic2 - there is.

That's because the HW3 re-write hasn't occurred as of yet (according to Elon's January/February tweet), right? I assume once the code is optimized for HW3, wouldn't it interpret the video stream quicker and update IC2 as well?

I'm not sure I agree with the timeline of this hardware release graph? My car was born in March of 2018 and I have MCU1.
Obviously all this can be in precise since there are many days in the month. Was your car 'born' on March 1st or March 31st? MCU2 could have come at the very end of Feb I suppose to.
Maybe they switched over March 20th or any other day of the month between the 1st and 31st. Hope that makes sense.

That's because the HW3 re-write hasn't occurred as of yet (according to Elon's January/February tweet), right? I assume once the code is optimized for HW3, wouldn't it interpret the video stream quicker and update IC2 as well?
no. HW3 is already many times faster than hw25 so it does not need any special optimization to run current code faster BUT the cameras are only working at 36fps.
Even taking into account that on hw2.5 only every other frame is interpreted, are you sure you can tell 1/18th second of latency removal on IC screen? ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert