Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can bet the 2.5–3.0 upgrade kit for a 2019 doesn’t include a new MCU2, for example. Although, yes, I understand there is a pricing difference, but the concept is similar.

I had the 2.5 -> 3.0 upgrade done on my 2019. The only thing they change is the AP CPU and the firmware. Cameras, MCU, etc... are not touched. There is definitely a difference in the software between 2.5 and 3.0.

I would think the process for 2.0 -> 3.0 would be MCU swap and AP CPU. I don't think they would replace the cameras.

Did you read the link above? Looks like the 2.0 upgrade is the same as 2.5 with a different wiring harness.
I am following the thread. The MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for AP(HW)2.0 is the same as the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for AP(HW)2.5 except for a different MCU wiring harness. Meaning no change in cameras.

Last edited:
I am following the thread. The MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for AP(HW)2.0 is the same as the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for AP(HW)2.5 except for the MCU wiring harness. Meaning no change in cameras.
You said above they won't swap the MCU 2 for 2.0 to 3.0. What does that mean? 'Swap the MCU 2?' As you just said, it's exactly the same as 2.5 with a different wire harness.

Your text was :

It is looking less likely that they will swap the MCU2 for the HW2.0 to 3.0 FSD upgrade. Might be just the AP CPU.

Just because the MCU upgrade includes the FSD upgrade that doesn't mean that the converse is true, that the FSD upgrade will include the MCU upgrade.
Ah, gotcha, yeah, for the FSD alone, no one knows what they are doing, since no one has gotten just the AP 3.0 upgrade. For MCU 1 with 2.0 or 2.5 (for S and X) that I'm aware of. Especially 2.0, as you say. Good point.

It was stated that somewhere Tesla had gotten this worked out but may be a while until we see it with the current situation.

Sorry for any confusion. Do we know what the difference is in the harness?
Who knows in detail what changed from 2.0 to 2.5? I recall talk of added redundancy right when I was ordering my car (one of the first AP2.5, Labor Day 2017...). Not sure how much of that would deal with connections to the MCU. The only example of upgraded AP2.0 is probably the one in Hawaii so, hard, to compare the hardnesses. :D

Gotcha. Got a source? There were reports on Twitter Tesla had it working with MCU 1. But who knows at this point their final answer

I didn't ask the SC when I went in for my upgrade. They just asked me if I was SURE I wanted the infotainment upgrade ALONG WITH the HW3 upgrade as THAT was not free. From that question you might infer that MCU1 will work with HW3? However, I didn't ask as I DID want the MCU2 because the MCU1 was virtually unusable as a browser. You could pull into a supercharger bay at 20% soc, plug in, get back in the car, fire up the browser, navigate to Google, and by the time that page loaded, you were at 90% soc.

I didn't ask the SC when I went in for my upgrade. They just asked me if I was SURE I wanted the infotainment upgrade ALONG WITH the HW3 upgrade as THAT was not free. From that question you might infer that MCU1 will work with HW3? However, I didn't ask as I DID want the MCU2 because the MCU1 was virtually unusable as a browser. You could pull into a supercharger bay at 20% soc, plug in, get back in the car, fire up the browser, navigate to Google, and by the time that page loaded, you were at 90% soc.
I have to say it’s not a hard choice but would be nice to know if it actually IS a choice or not!

Who knows in detail what changed from 2.0 to 2.5? I recall talk of added redundancy right when I was ordering my car (one of the first AP2.5, Labor Day 2017...). Not sure how much of that would deal with connections to the MCU. The only example of upgraded AP2.0 is probably the one in Hawaii so, hard, to compare the hardnesses. :D

I believe it was redundant harness for steering control, new better forward facing radar, and different filter on the cameras.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva