Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think Tesla would honor the warranty if you manhandled it. That's a gift wrapped excuse for Tesla to blame the customer for the failure.

I'm just changing my wifi password. I don't really use anything else and I managed to delete my home address but clearly gps logs will give anyone a great idea of where to locate me.
It's not just the logs. Emmc is not like a hard drive, where each block or data lives in a specific physical location/sector. As you overwrite the information, your new information will likely go to a different flash block which has less wear (wear leveling), leaving your old information in place, just marking that region as free to the internal firmware.

Properly erasing flash chips is very hard. Unless the manufacturer provides this capability via the firmware, there really is no guaranteed way to do that. There are some different lesser levels or erasing, for example, if you simply write junk to the entire rated capacity of the chip, your old information probably mostly there, but in order to read it, the attacker would have to dig deeper into the emmc chip firmware. If you just did mkfs (what Tesla does), the files are gone, but your information is still mostly intact and readable via standard block read commands (and recoverable via readily available disk recovery software). The only way someone like Tesla can do it reliably without flash chip firmware support is to use encrypted filesystem, store the key somewhere where they know it can be wiped permanently - then erase is just losing the key, rendering the rest of the data unreadable junk.

As for how personally identifiable information can be used, there are many ways. For example, from GPS logs you can figure out when a person usually not home (good time to pay a house a visit, or steal packages), where they work, who they visit (good information to perform social engineering attacks, call you that your grandma is in a hospital, or call her that you are in Mexico in need of bail money or bribes, call you pretending to be your bank which they know you visit regularly, etc, etc). If someone is having an affair or is hiding some secret life which is exposed by GPS history, there is a blackmail opportunity. Your WiFi password, even if you changed it, may be one you used in other places, and the attacker of course will have your email address as well. Most people when they change their password, only vary by a letter or few, add a number, or similar easy to guess alternatives. Other info that is leaked too, like bluetooth pairing information. Knowing where you live an attacker could try to pair with your phone, use a zero day (or older if you don't patch your phone regularly, or have a phone for which there are no patches released anymore) and get a hold of your email and SMS, at which point they can could reset your website passwords including your bank or brokerage or crypto currency account which the attacker could empty after resetting the password. There is more, I'm just giving a sample of way how personally identifiable information can be used against you. All these example exploits require different amount of effort to execute, some of them might not be worth executing (while unless you are worth some decent money) but they do happen, for example there were some teenagers recently charged with draining people's crypto currency accounts to the tune of millions of dollars, all they did was target individual cell phones.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I just had the MCU upgraded on my 2017 Model X 100D on Monday at the Torrance, CA Service Center, along with the HW3 complimentary upgrade.

They told me that I was that location’s first MCU upgrade that they’ve performed, which kinda surprised me with all the Teslas around here. Other than the hit to my wallet, everything works great and I would highly recommend the upgrade if the cost isn’t too much of an impact for you. It’s just nice having a working, speedy screen for once, & the other features are cool to have.

Also, I never received an invite to come in. I just booked an appointment for about two weeks out requesting the upgrade to the MCU and FSD. A couple days later, they called and said they had the parts saved for me.
Does those upgrades already started in Canada yet ?

I have a Tesla Model S from Dec 2016 and I was requesting the Infotainment and HW3 upgrade via the app. I did Not make much progress with my local SC as they kept saying I was not eligible. I called the Tesla main number and spoke to service and they quickly sorted it out and I now have an end of May appointment as we wait for parts. They said there was considerable confusion around the upgrade at the local level. Wanted to share this approach as it may help others with HW2.0 looking for an upgrade.

They told me that I was that location’s first MCU upgrade that they’ve performed, which kinda surprised me with all the Teslas around here...……

Also, I never received an invite to come in. I just booked an appointment for about two weeks out requesting the upgrade to the MCU and FSD.

Glad you got your update and like it. I got a notification yesterday morning that one of my cars (2017 X100) is ready to be updated to HW3 and infotainment if I want it. Since I don't want to be among the first people to be updated, I told them I will just wait another month before coming down there. I got nowhere to go other than local trips anyway, so not that interested.

Had an appt for May 14, but:
"Unfortunately we have not received the 3.0 and infotainment upgrade hardware yet for your vehicle configuration. Due to COVID-19 we do not have an ETA, but anticipate seeing them within the next couple of months or so. "

March 2017 Model X.

A couple of months? Noooo...
I got the same message and when I followed up with Tempe, they said it would be ok to try again in June. So a couple days ago I rescheduled for June 1, but this time in Scottsdale. Somehow someone in Tempe intercepted my Scottsdale appointment and cancelled it. They said I could try again in June. So I guess that means I can’t schedule for June until June. Nice.

Also I was again told they don’t have the kits in stock, which of course doesn’t seem to be any different status than the SC’s who are delaying appointments while they order the flipping parts. I guess AZ SC’s can’t order parts.

Those of you in the East Valley who have had Porsches probably have used Jack Doberspike’s shop for service/repairs. (I was a customer for 20 happy years.) Given the nature of Teslas and the newness of the brand, I imagine it will be many years before we will have such customer service-focused mechanics. I am counting the days.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Those of you in the East Valley who have had Porsches probably have used Jack Doberspike’s shop for service/repairs. (I was a customer for 20 happy years.) Given the nature of Teslas and the newness of the brand, I imagine it will be many years before we will have such customer service-focused mechanics. I am counting the days.

Familiar name (Doverspike right?). Which shop did he run? I used Zuffenhausen Motors with Ken Rosegay, who was super.

It seems every time I rent a car, the entertainment system comes pre-populated with contact information and GPS locations from prior renters.
I think most people just don't know or care about leaving their information lying around.
It actually is less of an issue, as the next renter is unlikely to pull out the memory chip to copy all the information out. Pulling it out one address at a time using the UI is possible, but not practical. I'm not saying it's not a problem, just that it's much less of a problem than all your PII from your car being available for sale on the internet.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
Glad you got your update and like it. I got a notification yesterday morning that one of my cars (2017 X100) is ready to be updated to HW3 and infotainment if I want it. Since I don't want to be among the first people to be updated, I told them I will just wait another month before coming down there. I got nowhere to go other than local trips anyway, so not that interested.

Totally understand. I’m somewhat in the same boat travel-wise at the moment... Other than short trips for groceries, or a drive for my kids nap-time, the car sits in the driveway.

It was somewhat of a test to see if they would do it, & I was really get sick of super slow responses to nearly every command I tried. It really does feel like a different vehicle afterwards. My wife and I often just sit in the car while the kids sleep, so having Netflix and whatnot doesn’t hurt for our own entertainment.

If and when you decide to make the plunge, I think you’ll enjoy it. I wasn’t worried about their ability to install it... even if it took them an extra day to correct, I’m not going anywhere. :)

For what it’s worth, I just had the MCU upgraded on my 2017 Model X 100D on Monday at the Torrance, CA Service Center, along with the HW3 complimentary upgrade.

They told me that I was that location’s first MCU upgrade that they’ve performed, which kinda surprised me with all the Teslas around here. Other than the hit to my wallet, everything works great and I would highly recommend the upgrade if the cost isn’t too much of an impact for you. It’s just nice having a working, speedy screen for once, & the other features are cool to have.

Also, I never received an invite to come in. I just booked an appointment for about two weeks out requesting the upgrade to the MCU and FSD. A couple days later, they called and said they had the parts saved for me.

How long did the upgrade take? Did you have to leave the car overnight? Or even longer?

How long did the upgrade take? Did you have to leave the car overnight? Or even longer?

I had a 9AM appointment, and I got notified it was done at 4PM the same day. They warned me it might slip to the next day as they hadn’t done it before, but it obviously didn’t happen.

I started getting notifications on my phone that the software was updated probably around 1PM or 2PM (don’t quite remember when exactly), so the actual install probably only took them a couple hours, & the verification to make sure everything worked took them a little time after that.