Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI... I am in Seattle and was able to schedule the MCU upgrade for my AP2 Model S with prepaid FSD. I didn't wait to receive an invite. I just scheduled it via the app and mentioned the website shows now scheduling for AP2 cars with FSD. They confirmed I was eligible and said they are ordering the required parts and sent me the invoice to approve as well. $2500+tax total. No labor charges.

Do you have a copy of the invoice (screenshot), where it showes the part numbers?

Reactions: onthecake
Can anyone please confirm (as a sanity check) for Tesla owner with unlimited premium connectivity on their existing vehicles, will the infotainment upgrade (MCU1->MCU2) maintain their unlimited premium connectivity or will it be changed to paid subscription like on newer purchased Tesla vehicles? TIA.

Can anyone please confirm (as a sanity check) for Tesla owner with unlimited premium connectivity on their existing vehicles, will the infotainment upgrade (MCU1->MCU2) maintain their unlimited premium connectivity or will it be changed to paid subscription like on newer purchased Tesla vehicles? TIA.
I will transfer to MCU2, no need to pay monthly fee

I confirm unlimited premium Connecticut stays.

It has been painfully clear for some time now that they are changing none of those things.

So was the person that received my service ticket just full of crap then? Uninformed? Because here is the back and forth text that specially said they are waiting on a Model S HW2 upgrade package to be made available which includes an exterior camera change.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 113
So was the person that received my service ticket just full of crap then? Uninformed? Because here is the back and forth text that specially said they are waiting on a Model S HW2 upgrade package to be made available which includes an exterior camera change.

It might be true. My service center was more coy and failed to do my MCU2 because they said HW3 was not finalized by Fremont for HW2 but they also offered me MCU2/HW2 until 3 became available. So maybe they're right but so far it seems unnecessary and there is a 2.0 camera option that works fine. They might just not know.

That doesn’t sound right. There is no evidence that Tesla is changing cameras, and it certainly isn’t required for the FSD computer.

I have an email from the manager of my SC (who is quite literally one of the best employees I’ve encountered anywhere and has been with Tesla since before I got my MS in 2014) telling me they already did a 2.0 upgrade this week and the cameras are not changed out (I specifically asked about the cameras). My parts are on order and I’m scheduled for this Wednesday.

It would AWESOME if they are changing the cameras for us AP2.0 people as part of the upgrade as well. But this indeed would be strange if there are already upgrades done without camera swaps. Is there any possible truth to this, that they could revise the MCU upgrade package for AP2 cars to include cameras? If so, I want to wait for the later kit then! How would they deal with people who already had it done, if later upgrades get cameras swapped as well? Seems like it would be a mess with lots of pissed early upgraders.

They aren't changing out cameras. Tesla is cheap and camera swap is a ton of extra cost and labor. Plus it works fine with RCCC and it's already coded. We don't need more speculation about cameras until actual evidence exists otherwise.
Tesla is short sighted - they tend to ignore the hidden long term costs, like having to support (maintain code and test) yet another configuration. Of course, given Tesla history, they'll just test on customers, so if something breaks with AP3 + AP2_cameras, customers will report it and they will fix it few short weeks later (like the recently broken USB playback for example).

• Disagree
Reactions: CreamSoduh
They aren't changing out cameras. Tesla is cheap...

This!!!

Forget about the wiring harness (they can use the same wiring harness they are currently using with all S/X built from March 2018 onwards, since these vehicles have FM and XM radio), they won't even install the $250 Tuner2 with the Infotainment Upgrade because it's labor expensive, I mean intensive, :rolleyes: let alone the whole camera suite; minus the rear view camera.

I don't have the exact amount, but the triple inline front camera assembly seems quite expensive.

Also, they are already covering their backs...
The Infotainment Upgrade website clearly states that: DashCam and Sentry "...recordings may vary in color or tone based on your camera suite".

This!!!

Forget about the wiring harness (they can use the same wiring harness they are currently using with all S/X built from March 2018 onwards, since these vehicles have FM and XM radio), they won't even install the $250 Tuner2 with the Infotainment Upgrade because it's labor expensive, I mean intensive, :rolleyes: let alone the whole camera suite; minus the rear view camera.

I don't have the exact amount, but the triple inline front camera assembly seems quite expensive.

Also, they are already covering their backs...
The Infotainment Upgrade website clearly states that: DashCam and Sentry "...recordings may vary in color or tone based on your camera suite".
I guess they could have given you the option of replacing all the cameras at a much higher cost but decided not to since it doesn't make a difference other than "color or tone". The AP doesn't care about color or tone.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
It would AWESOME if they are changing the cameras for us AP2.0 people as part of the upgrade as well. But this indeed would be strange if there are already upgrades done without camera swaps. Is there any possible truth to this, that they could revise the MCU upgrade package for AP2 cars to include cameras?
yea, it would be nice, but camera replacements aren't going to happen with the upgrade.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I wish they at least had an option to add the FM/SXM Radio back even at extra cost. I would pay $3K for MCU2 with FM/SXM!
I actually want the AM. I’m local to SoCal and it’s hard to watch Dodger games(when the ‘rona isn’t stopping the season) so I listen to a lot of them on AM570, but whatever their contract is with iHeartRadio during games the internet stream is not of the game, it’s some sports talk show, you can only get the game on the over the air channel. That will be the one big downside for me.