Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, what would you recommend we (mere mortals) do before taking the car to the SC?
Is there anything we can do other than changing the passwords afterwards?
Obviously change the spotify password if you can, also change the wifi password. Of course if you can time-travel back into the past and when you paired the phone do not allow the car to get both the contact/call list and calendar - that would be great too

Other than that you can do firmware reset and then drive around for a couple of months, or install a few firmware updates to cycle through the free space.

• Helpful
Reactions: DriveMe
indeed, if you value your phone contact list and recent call info at $1k+ - paying the core charge is a nobrainer. BUT it's only applicable if doing mcu2 upgrade.

If on the other hand you are getting mcu replacement because emmc got flaky - I think that's not an option (esp. in warranty)?

I was not given the choice when that happened to me. They did say my old MCU was being sent to Fremont and I took that to mean remanufactured and hopefully properly wiped. I have no idea.

Since my emmc was burned I couldn't really wipe anything since wifi Bluetooth and other things didn't work.

My new MCU1 has no setting but I was finally able to do the homelink and it had the code stored somewhere in the homelink module.

Or cut the emmc out before replacement. Maybe not a mere mortal job but at least u don’t have to worry about breaking it.

I don't think Tesla would honor the warranty if you manhandled it. That's a gift wrapped excuse for Tesla to blame the customer for the failure.

I'm just changing my wifi password. I don't really use anything else and I managed to delete my home address but clearly gps logs will give anyone a great idea of where to locate me.

Just FYI... I am in Seattle and was able to schedule the MCU upgrade for my AP2 Model S with prepaid FSD. I didn't wait to receive an invite. I just scheduled it via the app and mentioned the website shows now scheduling for AP2 cars with FSD. They confirmed I was eligible and said they are ordering the required parts and sent me the invoice to approve as well. $2500+tax total. No labor charges.

Just FYI... I am in Seattle and was able to schedule the MCU upgrade for my AP2 Model S with prepaid FSD. I didn't wait to receive an invite. I just scheduled it via the app and mentioned the website shows now scheduling for AP2 cars with FSD. They confirmed I was eligible and said they are ordering the required parts and sent me the invoice to approve as well. $2500+tax total. No labor charges.

Same here in Seattle using the Bellevue SC. Parts ordered for my MCU1/AP2.0 Model X to go MCU2/FSD. They claimed to have done a 2.0 upgrade yesterday with no issues.

indeed, if you value your phone contact list and recent call info at $1k+ - paying the core charge is a nobrainer. BUT it's only applicable if doing mcu2 upgrade.

If on the other hand you are getting mcu replacement because emmc got flaky - I think that's not an option (esp. in warranty)?
Not knowing how this stuff is stored on the "disk", would it work to change to an invalid WiFi password, invalid Spotify password, enter a fake home address, make a ton of bogus phone calls to the same bogus number, etc. on the car BEFORE taking the car in? Would this overwrite the data stored in there with the bogus data or is the address space where this stuff is stored too large that it would take far too long?

if you can time-travel back into the past and when you paired the phone do not allow the car to get both the contact/call list and calendar - that would be great too
You know, if I could time travel back in time, not allowing the car to sync contacts would not make it even to the very bottom of my priorities list. I would be easily able to afford to incinerate any car I no longer want to drive to ensure no personally identifiable information leaks. :p

So now that they are starting to do the AP2.0 to HW3 upgrades I’ll be very curious to see if they change any cameras, radars, steering etc.

In my case I’ll probably wait and do MCU1 with HW3 since I don’t find maps loading faster or Netflix to be worth $2,500 for me.

Same here in Seattle using the Bellevue SC. Parts ordered for my MCU1/AP2.0 Model X to go MCU2/FSD. They claimed to have done a 2.0 upgrade yesterday with no issues.

I'm hoping they do more than a few before they get to my car so that they know what they are doing when they get to mine. I don't want any broken, scratched, messed up dash pieces or rattles when they are done. When is your appt? Mine is on Thursday.

For what it’s worth, I just had the MCU upgraded on my 2017 Model X 100D on Monday at the Torrance, CA Service Center, along with the HW3 complimentary upgrade.

They told me that I was that location’s first MCU upgrade that they’ve performed, which kinda surprised me with all the Teslas around here. Other than the hit to my wallet, everything works great and I would highly recommend the upgrade if the cost isn’t too much of an impact for you. It’s just nice having a working, speedy screen for once, & the other features are cool to have.

Also, I never received an invite to come in. I just booked an appointment for about two weeks out requesting the upgrade to the MCU and FSD. A couple days later, they called and said they had the parts saved for me.

Not knowing how this stuff is stored on the "disk", would it work to change to an invalid WiFi password, invalid Spotify password, enter a fake home address, make a ton of bogus phone calls to the same bogus number, etc. on the car BEFORE taking the car in? Would this overwrite the data stored in there with the bogus data or is the address space where this stuff is stored too large that it would take far too long?
that won't help any better than the factory reset, the data is not overwritten so it's possible to extract various versions of changed values going back quite some time.