Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@viper2ko, Might be a good idea. I picked my car up on 1 April with MCU2. Yeah, I wasn't sure it was really MCU2 until I got in it, because it was 1 April. And gladly paid $2500 for it. Even if the price goes down and I don't get a refund for part, I am not sad. I think MCU2 is worth more than the $2500. Its like a new car, but its better than it was in 2017.

Yup same here, I sent the screenshot of that $1900 invoice via the work order text. And this was the response :

that is a $600 discount. I do not know why that was given. but i can not honor it, given their might have been mitigating circumstances unrelated to you.

Oh well. Even tried in person but the guy wouldn't budge and refused to call the Las Vegas SC. Still worth it anyway.
Just got a call back from the Service Advisor at Van Nuys SC, they stated that according to their systems the price is still $2500 and not $1900. I even sent a screenshot of the invoice of the OP who was charged $1900 in Vegas.

Reactions: captjoemcd
Wonder if its only $1900 for cars in warranty with dead mcu
We wonder too. It would make sense that it would only be MCUs failing. And make more sense if the MCU was under warranty failing.

But let me take you back to TJ's first email to me about this. He told me, his SA told him that his price was going to be $1750 for his out of warranty 2013 S. And because of that price, he asked in behalf of his brother-in-law for MCU2. The brother-in-law owns a '16 X still under warranty. TJ's email said the SA said it too would be $1750. Now don't get too excited. Right after than the SA said, oops that was premature, HQ has rescinded the memo that authorized that price. All this was the day TJ dropped off his car. A week later when he picked up the car (yesterday) the invoice was $1900 vice $2500. So it was reduced or as someone wanted to point out "adjusted" down $600.

Bottom line: @viper2ko, We don't know yet if in or out of warranty or failed or working MCU. Seems so far from reports from others, it does not matter.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
It happened, our 2016 Model X with 55k miles just had its MCU1 die....it’s last hurray was an auto reboot while I was driving. It came up for the last time and was dead the next time we wanted to drive it again. There was an error message that there was an issue with the media unit and to reboot. We didn’t even try but drove the car to Tesla service a few days later (after booking an appointment. They checked it out and it is officially dead. We have an extended warranty and they will replace it with a “new” mcu1. I asked to pay for the difference ($1k) to upgrade to mcu2 instead but that was a no go. Now waiting two weeks for the parts to come in. Estimate is about$1500 but should cost us $200, hopefully....

in the meanwhile, we hit a tire piece on the freeway which ripped a while in the front cover under the car. Roadside is coming out tomorrow to fix that.

Reactions: Akikiki
Got my car back today with the upgrade. What a difference. Everything so much smoother. And the visualizations seem more on point...like the pictures of the car were more in line to where the actual car was in relation to me. All my settings transferred including trip meters, profile settings, streaming favorites etc. Spent some time playing some games in the garage and exploring some of the theater options. Game changer for road tripping supercharger stops. And the browser plays Plex!

Didn't bother with seeking the $600 discount thing...if that becomes a thing and we get refunded so be it but this is still worth it to me and I'll support the mission.

I never used FM/AM and didn't have XM so to me...totally worth it.

I am curious. Any of you that got the MCU2 Upgrade. Its is actually more or better than you thought it would be?
I wonder the same thing. I feel many of the comments it is better are over hyped. It’s like replacing the laptop that had a cpu and memory from 8 years ago to one that is 3 years ago. Still running the same OS. You’ll get Netflix, which I don’t use too often. Games, even much less. The only thing I am looking forward to is hopefully better LTE signal. My current sucks.

the only reason I upgrading because the current mcu might die again and it’ll take forever for mcu1 replacement.

I didn't mind the slow speed of MCU1, though simply typing anything was peck-and-wait and the browser only sort of worked a little bit. I actually used it to report a Quartzite Supercharger outage in a TMC post, but that was just torture.

The X is our road trip car. Netflix will be useful as a last resort when Supercharging. I've entered a bunch of favorites into the browser and they all came up painlessly, other than signing into Google. Which is possible at least. That'll be handy when I'm the passenger. I have Sentry mode and TeslaCam now (with paid FSD and HW3 installed) which will be handy when parking at hotels overnight with the car still packed. And now I don't have to worry about my MCU eMMC crapping out. Hopefully the Autopilot display will also be snappier and closer to real-time. Trip routing should be faster. I should be able to receive new software features that are MCU2/HW3 only for the foreseeable future (next couple of years?). I like the 5 GHz Wi-Fi and hopefully better LTE reception.

If it was just a speed issue I could put up with MCU1. How much speed do you need for changing settings? But there's much more than that that makes it worth my $2500.

Since getting the hw3 upgrade my mcu1 seems to be having issues. Music steaming is freezing up, sometimes takes a minute for the instrument cluster display to come to life and my pin pad is not working properly. Is this a coincidence, I’m not sure. Now I’m thinking of upgrading to mcu2.

Since getting the hw3 upgrade my mcu1 seems to be having issues. Music steaming is freezing up, sometimes takes a minute for the instrument cluster display to come to life and my pin pad is not working properly. Is this a coincidence, I’m not sure. Now I’m thinking of upgrading to mcu2.

Replace the consumer-grade eMMC to a higher spec (speed and endurance) version

I'm having the same issues. Def hw3 related. Heard multiple people say this.