Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our Model S is in the Van Nuys SC right now getting the MCU2 upgrade. Shot a text to the service advisor and even sent him the URL to the post you referred to!! Hasn't replied yet. Worse he can say is no. Figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

This started way back in mid July when a Tesla user named TeslaTap advised the MCU 1's in warrantee and are not working will be $1750. Sooo??

This started way back in mid July when a Tesla user named TeslaTap advised the MCU 1's in warrantee and are not working will be $1750. Sooo??
My car is out of warranty so I was footing the whole bill regardless, until the post today everyone I know that has had their MCU1 upgraded to an MCU2 has paid $2500. The possibility of saving $600 is worth the ask in my opinion.

Its early. Its almost too early for any of us to guess or speculate what Tesla is going to do. Maybe, I hope that we will know more concrete information going forward regarding a new price. Maybe in just a few days we will see more reports from others. (I already know of one other person that paid his bill today in a different city and only paid $1900 versus this quote from a week ago.

I know about that report by Teslatap. That information was accurate. But later in the day - that same day, the Tesla SC source of the info reported to our owner source that it was premature and Tesla rescinded the memo that stated the cost would be $1750. Happily, it looks like Tesla has decided to lower the price. But we will need to see some more reports from other owners for the MCU2 upgrade that confirms the price is stable at $1900. So, if you just got your car back, let us know what you paid. Please.

And for those of us that got the upgrade months ago, if anyone is successful in getting a refund of the difference, it would be nice to know. And what magic words did you use besides "please" ? :)

Its early. Its almost too early for any of us to guess or speculate what Tesla is going to do. Maybe, I hope that we will know more concrete information going forward regarding a new price. Maybe in just a few days we will see more reports from others. (I already know of one other person that paid his bill today in a different city and only paid $1900 versus this quote from a week ago.
I know about that report by Teslatap. That information was accurate. But later in the day - that same day, the Tesla SC source of the info reported to our owner source that it was premature and Tesla rescinded the memo that stated the cost would be $1750. Happily, it looks like Tesla has decided to lower the price. But we will need to see some more reports from other owners for the MCU2 upgrade that confirms the price is stable at $1900. So, if you just got your car back, let us know what you paid. Please.
And for those of us that got the upgrade months ago, if anyone is successful in getting a refund of the difference, it would be nice to know. And what magic words did you use besides "please"? :)

I am scheduled to get the MCU2 upgrade next week. I have the ESA warranty and will report back on the actual price paid.

Reactions: Akikiki
Yes, TeslaWaze does work, but (like other auto-refreshing websites), it will eventually crash the GUI causing a few minutes of frozen screens followed by a reboot. This seems to happen faster when AP is in use. I’m still trying to figure step-by-step instructions to reproduce for an eventual bug report.

This can be readily reproduced by using TeslaWaze while streaming music. After a little while, the music will stutter and the MCU becomes unresponsive. Closing the web browser resolves the issue. Clearly some kind of memory leak in the browser.

Yeah, the power liftgate was just an example of one feature that became standard. It's possible any of the other Tech package features could cause issues. As @Mokuzai pointed out, cars should still have the Open button.

Anyhow, they need to upgrade the firmware so that MCU2 checks for the hardware instead of assuming it already exists as was standard when MCU2 was first released.

I agree with this but I am not so certain there is a good ROI on it. A lot of development time and effort will be needed to check these conditions which really only affect a small portion of the overall fleet.

• Informative
Reactions: bollar
That's exactly my line of thinking. If it's clean it must be new.

I asked them to clean and lube the sunroof too (and paid for it), and it still has leaves and stuff in the rails. So yeah, if they didn't really clean what I paid them to clean I doubt they would bother with the screen.

That said, nothing is broken and everything works really well, with good alignment. So I'm happy there.

I didn't realize how slow my MCU1 was until this.

Also, the upgrade fixed my loss of signal issue entirely. I now get 5 bars where I had 1 before.

That's GREAT news! Did you have 4G LTE or 3G before your infotainment upgrade?

My 2016 AP1 car is ready for pick up at the Lake Forest SC in CA and the price is 2500. We don't have to pay via the app right? Can we do it in person? I wonder if I can still negotiate the lower price at the SC.
These days, they want you to pay via the app. Your work order text should be active because you have not closed out your work order. I would text the SC and get his attention. Tell him you know the Vegas SC yesterday used a new Tesla authorized price and the cost for the upgrade would now be $1900. Ask them to contact Vegas SC for the source. Let them work it out. If not, sit back and wait until we hear those withing the window being offered a refund. Who knows, maybe you will work it out.

Reactions: FlatSix911
My 2016 AP1 car is ready for pick up at the Lake Forest SC in CA and the price is 2500. We don't have to pay via the app right? Can we do it in person? I wonder if I can still negotiate the lower price at the SC.

I'm in south OC and placed my MCU2 infotainment upgrade request at the Costa Mesa SC 2 weeks ago for my 2015 P85D but haven't heard any response.

When did you order your MCU2 infotainment upgrade?

Did you order it using the Tesla app or contact the Lake Forest SC directly? If the latter, what phone number did you call... or did you just drop in?

How long did they have your Tesla at the SC ?

LOVE hearing the 4G LTE cellular signal strength improvement since my MCU1's 4G LTE (upgrade) signal strength is weak !!! BONUS benefit !!!

I have read this entire thread and am still confused about the changes I can make on my 2017 MS 75, EAP but no FSD. I have MCU1 and AP2.0. The screen works except for the yellow bands. Here are my questions regarding the $2,500 cost:

- can I move from MC1 to MC3? or does it have to be MC2?
- if MC2 what will I gain?
- if MC3 what will I gain?
- what is the most advancement I can make from my current config?
- in moving to MC2 or MC3 are the costs the same?
- will my screen be replaced?
- will the computer chip be replaced?
- after replacement will I be able to use a thumb drive to see my cameras when parked?
- What would be my best features when I do change to whatever I can?

Sorry, but I am confused because of the possibilities discussed and different model cars they are on.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911