Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla not even doing a good job installing spoilers for 3P+ Cars that are over a year old and people talking MCU retrofits for 36 pages?

LOL

This!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

The MCU1->MCU2 upgrade is so low on the priority list that's it's (IMHO) likely never to actually happen. The R&D and engineering costs to roll out such an upgrade to a very small subset of owners is not going to have a positive ROI. So they're just not going to do it.

Here's my angle, I now have a car that can operate for potentially 400k miles unlike any other ICE I have ever owned. I wish I could keep it reasonably current with features and would be willing to pay for some upgrades. In my case I bought at the peak of pricing for a p100D and have watched the resale market value of my car plummet and have a Feb production vehicle on top of all of that. Don't get me wrong I love my car.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Here's my angle, I now have a car that can operate for potentially 400k miles unlike any other ICE I have ever owned. I wish I could keep it reasonably current with features and would be willing to pay for some upgrades. In my case I bought at the peak of pricing for a p100D and have watched the resale market value of my car plummet and have a Feb production vehicle on top of all of that. Don't get me wrong I love my car.
The sad truth is that the MCU and IC upgrades are virtually plug-n-play but Tesla refuses to let customers or independent shops have access to Toolbox to do so. Tesla doesn't need to offer MCU upgrades at all. Just let us have Toolbox (or authorized service shops / independent repair shops) and this and many other repair/retrofit/maintenance problems resolve themselves.

The sad truth is that the MCU and IC upgrades are virtually plug-n-play but Tesla refuses to let customers or independent shops have access to Toolbox to do so. Tesla doesn't need to offer MCU upgrades at all. Just let us have Toolbox (or authorized service shops / independent repair shops) and this and many other repair/retrofit/maintenance problems resolve themselves.

I think they're afraid of giving toolbox access because you can unlock all paid features for free using it.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
1: No, I didn't have the option to move. I would have lost the 2k.
2: Yes, I'd take it today, mobile service could probably do it. hell, i'd gladly give up root for the increased performance.

3: Considering i drove 3 hours with the fam to get the car and had waited 3 months for the car, I made the decision to not walk away. You're right. I could have lost 2 grand, 12 hours of driving, pissed of my family, and an additional 3 months of waiting. I chose not to. Doesn't mean I can't be upset about the changeover. I found out less than a week before, while the car was already at the SC waiting to delivered. in my case, I had no other option. The train had left the station.

I know I was getting the current MCU offerings when I ordered. But missing it by a day really chaps my underside. Ultimately, this comes down to Tesla sneaking the MCU upgrade in without notification. Had I been told a month or even 2 months after ordering: "hey, there's a new upgraded MCU coming that will significantly improve performance, would you like to transfer your deposit to a new build?", of course I would have taken it.

But Tesla didn't, because Tesla didn't and doesn't care. They're in the business of selling cars, not making people happy. This is why they won't offer an upgrade. They're looking toward the future, not the past. Any car produced before 3/1/18 has already been deemed legacy and EOL. They've got a track record of leaving autos behind in the dust (AP1, AP2).

I'm unfortunate that I missed the cutoff. The person after me is fortunate, since they were the first in line for the upgrade. C'est la vie.
Yeah that sucks. Did they indicate at the time that you would be able to upgrade to the newer MCU in the future, at a price, if you wanted?

Elon indicated previously that they would allow and support independent mechanics eventually, but maybe he changed his mind and decided it would be a better business move not to. I'm still not giving up hope that Tesla will start to support their aging fleet properly. It's just not a priority yet. Their oldest mass produced cars are only seven years old. That's not very old. My car is almost three years old and it feels brand new. I bought a brand new eGolf on Monday. Great car. It has a lot of cool features my Tesla doesn't have, but it is so obviously inferior to a seven year old Tesla. Even with their old crappy MCU's

Last edited:
Reactions: TK16688
Elon indicated previously that they would allow and support independent mechanics eventually, but maybe he changed his mind and decided it would be a better business move not to. I'm still not giving up hope that Tesla will start to support their aging fleet properly. It's just not a priority yet. Their oldest mass produced cars are only seven years old. That's not very old. My car is almost three years old and it feels brand new. I bought a brand new eGolf on Monday. Great car. It has a lot of cool features my Tesla doesn't have, but it is so obviously inferior to a seven year old Tesla. Even with their old crappy MCU's

@Electroman, not to get off topic for more than one quick question: Why did you buy a brand new eGolf? Were they basically giving them away?

@Electroman, not to get off topic for more than one quick question: Why did you buy a brand new eGolf? Were they basically giving them away?
Yes. I was looking for a used LEAF for my daughter and found out about the deals that VW was having on the eGolf. I thought it was a no brainer to pay a little more for a new car with more features and range. $24,304 out the door. $14,304 after next tax season. Thinking about getting a second one for my wife.

Sure, he's not concerned about making Wall Street happy, that's well known. But he still must, every single quarter.

I'm confused as to why you think it's a myth? Public companies have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize shareholder value. If any company places some other mission above that, they'll be pummeled to death in the public markets. That but doesn't preclude other secondary environmental or humanitarian missions, as long as they are secondary.

I saw other people comment on it, but I do think it's really a myth (yet of course with much prevalence of followers in reality). Example

Corporations Don't Have to Maximize Profits - NYTimes.com

I saw other people comment on it, but I do think it's really a myth (yet of course with much prevalence of followers in reality). Example

Corporations Don't Have to Maximize Profits - NYTimes.com

That was an interesting article, thanks. But I think the last paragraph sums it up:

In other words, it is activist hedge funds and modern executive compensation practices — not corporate law — that drive so many of today’s public companies to myopically focus on short-term earnings; cut back on investment and innovation; mistreat their employees, customers and communities; and indulge in reckless, irresponsible and environmentally destructive behaviors.

So while maybe it is a technically a myth, in reality, it's still what drives these companies to focus on earning and not other more lofty (primary) missions. If Tesla decided to not focus on quarterly earnings and instead focus on the environment or renewable energy or climate change, their stock value would be destroyed, as well as the net-worth of most of the executives and all the shareholders. If that's what they want to focus on, take the company private, like SpaceX is.

I love how all of the Model 3 and MCU 2 owners are like, “Sorry bro, but you can’t expect Tesla to keep upgrading hardware in older cars. You need to just go buy a new one and stop complaining.”

I guarantee you if half of the M3’s were in the same position as us MCU1 owners, there would be an uprising. It just sucks because most of the owners going without the games and theater mode are the people that paid the most. I personally don’t think a Jan.-Feb. 2018 Model S or X should be considered outdated and not upgradeable. Those owners barely have had there car for 18 months, and now have no upgrade path while major updates pass them by.

Where is Rich Rebuilds. He needs to get his hands on an MCU2/Wire harness/antennas and make an upgrade tutorial video.

I think there has to be a pretty large group of us that would be interested in that, minus the MCU2/M3 crowd that seem pretty indignant to the rest of us.