Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that - my point is that they could have played that situation differently to force future car sales. But they promised the hardware upgrade as part of the pre-purchase. Which means that they weren't concerned with cannibalizing future sales opportunities. It is just an inconsistent approach.

No, they promised features, not a hardware upgrade. They've been promising those features since late 2016. The only reason the hardware upgrade is happening at all is because they sold people features they couldn't deliver on existing hardware. There was no other way out of this without another big class action lawsuit - future sales opportunities be damned.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Two interesting facts.
1. People want this new, faster, chip, even though Elon has mentioned that currently it will give little or no immediate value. People are elbowing themselves into the front of the line, with little benefit.
2. Elon has already mentioned that this is only their first chip, and they have another, far more capable chip coming along in the pipeline.

These aren't interesting, most aren't facts, and none of it is relevant to the subject of this thread (the MCU).

I understand that - my point is that they could have played that situation differently to force future car sales. But they promised the hardware upgrade as part of the pre-purchase. Which means that they weren't concerned with cannibalizing future sales opportunities. It is just an inconsistent approach.

Perhaps a better example would be the Bioweapon Defense Mode upgrade. Never promised and I waited years for it and then it suddenly just showed up one day.

What's there to be unhappy about? You bought/own an older car. Tesla never promised to upgrade anyone to newer technology. You want an MCU2 that badly, buy a different car.

If you have an iPhone 6, but want the new iPhone 11 Super Max Pro Plus, you don't upgrade your iPhone 6, you just buy a new phone!
From where I stand, upgrading the entire car to replace the "car stereo" is not something anyone should EVER be asked to do. And from a tech standpoint, if the "carputer" gets upgraded, every good nerd should want it.. without replacing the whole car. I'm not even sure why this is something people are saying, but let's delve into it a bit deeper.

Changing vehicle ownership is not a simple process. It's not only a procedural ordeal, but it's also unobtainable for some of us for "strictly" those pesky financial reasons. My "investment" in Model S was a 5 to 10 year calculation so I'm not prepared to replace the car today, and frankly due to the way Tesla is now positioning the models and options I'm not sure they have the right EV in my price range right now. If you expect me to buy another whole car to replace my carputer, then you might just lose me as a customer totally. This situation has made me wary. If they'd make the browser work again without having to reformat my hard drive, it would put me back at ease, with or without an MCU2 upgrade. But they're not.

Don't think this can't happen again in the future.. instead of tens of thousands of ignored customers it might be hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions affected. If I was a stockholder I'd frankly be quite concerned about this sort of thing...

From where I stand, upgrading the entire car to replace the "car stereo" is not something anyone should EVER be asked to do. And from a tech standpoint, if the "carputer" gets upgraded, every good nerd should want it.. without replacing the whole car. I'm not even sure why this is something people are saying, but let's delve into it a bit deeper.

Changing vehicle ownership is not a simple process. It's not only a procedural ordeal, but it's also unobtainable for some of us for "strictly" those pesky financial reasons. My "investment" in Model S was a 5 to 10 year calculation so I'm not prepared to replace the car today, and frankly due to the way Tesla is now positioning the models and options I'm not sure they have the right EV in my price range right now. If you expect me to buy another whole car to replace my carputer, then you might just lose me as a customer totally. This situation has made me wary. If they'd make the browser work again without having to reformat my hard drive, it would put me back at ease, with or without an MCU2 upgrade. But they're not.

Don't think this can't happen again in the future.. instead of tens of thousands of ignored customers it might be hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions affected. If I was a stockholder I'd frankly be quite concerned about this sort of thing...
I agree. It's more analogous to asking you to replace your whole office when your PC becomes obsolete. I'm more concerned as a customer than a stockholder. I could see swearing off Tesla ownership, but continuing to invest in the company. You have to be a little bit ruthless to survive.

Reactions: Lex
Using Chrome over Chromium in a car would make no sense from a developers perspective. Don't take everything Elon says literally.
*shrug* OTOH literal Chrome or Chromium implies the whole ecosystem like Google account sync, extensions, etc.

Not taking Elon literally is how he gets away with saying stuff like “we already have Highway full self driving” and somehow we are supposed to be happy with that interpretation.

I think the takeaway is don’t trust anything Elon says is coming until it actually comes....

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: Lex and croman
I remember when the changeover to MCU2 first happened. People that had placed orders days prior were trying to cancel their orders and reorder. But Teslas official statement was they always make slight improvements. But this upgrade was minor and wouldn't effect anything in the future
That’s also what they said for AP2.0 to 2.5. Funny how those statements don’t hold up.

That’s also what they said for AP2.0 to 2.5. Funny how those statements don’t hold up.
And one of the biggest lies was that MX and MS would have the latest and greatest tech before M3. It’s *sugar* like that that makes me wonder why we still have faith in the company. Elon is kind of a dick now that I think about it.

I remember when the changeover to MCU2 first happened. People that had placed orders days prior were trying to cancel their orders and reorder. But Teslas official statement was they always make slight improvements. But this upgrade was minor and wouldn't effect anything in the future
Count me in this bunch. They wouldn't let me transfer my 2k deposit over to a new order. Mine was the last off the line on 2/28.

I didn't expect to be d1cked around for this long though.

Elon Musk on Twitter

whZTMaE.png
"upgrade for the newer MCU"

That means upgrade for the newer MCU.

That means the newer MCU can be upgraded.

So that means newer MCU ----upgradeable-to----> even better, probably even newer MCU.

It says nothing about old MCU.

It did not talk about which MCU# that was in any of the screenshotted tweets.

I just wanted to be clear about the English.

Therefore, if "the newer MCU" is not MCU1, then this is definitely not talking about upgrading MCU1. If "the newer MCU" is MCU1, then this is talking about upgrading MCU1.

Why are so many people so bad at basic English these days?

Last edited:
"upgrade for the newer MCU"

That means upgrade for the newer MCU.

That means the newer MCU can be upgraded.

So that means newer MCU ----upgradeable-to----> even better, probably even newer MCU.

It says nothing about old MCU.

It did not talk about which MCU# that was in any of the screenshotted tweets.

I just wanted to be clear about the English.

Therefore, if "the newer MCU" is not MCU1, then this is definitely not talking about upgrading MCU1. If "the newer MCU" is MCU1, then this is talking about upgrading MCU1.

Why are so many people so bad at basic English these days?

tenor.gif

Not taking Elon literally is how he gets away with saying stuff like “we already have Highway full self driving” and somehow we are supposed to be happy with that interpretation.

A: Not what he said.
B: What he did say was pretty correct. I use NoA(with confirmation turned off) every day to and from work. Most days, on the freeway, I don’t have to do anything but leave my hand passively on the wheel.

A: Not what he said.
B: What he did say was pretty correct. I use NoA(with confirmation turned off) every day to and from work. Most days, on the freeway, I don’t have to do anything but leave my hand passively on the wheel.

I did the homework for you-

C: Yes IT IS WHAT HE SAID!!!!!! FROM THE Q4 2018 EARNINGS CALL: “Well, we already have Full Self-Driving capability on highways. So from highway on-ramp to highway exiting, including passing cars and going from one highway interchange to another, Full Self-Driving capability is there...."

Reactions: chillaban
My "investment" in Model S was a 5 to 10 year calculation so I'm not prepared to replace the car today <snip> you might just lose me as a customer totally

You've explained why a company focused on profits to stay alive wouldn't focus on you as a primary driver of product plans.

10 years between product replacements (in your case) means you aren't the target market, they need to sell to new people, clearly, as you are an existing customer (and logically a drain on profits if your vehicle has a major warranty item that they need to attend to) and that profit was used to fund development of offerings that can be sold to many others.

I got dislikes to stating that it's not in Tesla's best interests from a profit perspective, and yet I'll surely get more, but I like you have an older Model S, but unlike you have the opposite expectation, I want Tesla to focus on keeping my product running well on the hardware shipped with my car, but focus energy on products that will sustain Tesla long term, as I care more about the long term prospects than my own little one Tesla garage.

They wouldn't let me transfer my 2k deposit over to a new order. Mine was the last off the line on 2/28

Ok, so you had a $2K option to move from MCU1 to MCU2 that you didn't take.
If you were offered a $2K option TODAY to move from MCU1 to MCU2 would you take it today?
If so, you made a poor choice considering your current dissatisfaction, sorry about that, but it's not Tesla's fault is it?

Ok, so you had a $2K option to move from MCU1 to MCU2 that you didn't take.
If you were offered a $2K option TODAY to move from MCU1 to MCU2 would you take it today?
If so, you made a poor choice considering your current dissatisfaction, sorry about that, but it's not Tesla's fault is it?

1: No, I didn't have the option to move. I would have lost the 2k.
2: Yes, I'd take it today, mobile service could probably do it. hell, i'd gladly give up root for the increased performance.

3: Considering i drove 3 hours with the fam to get the car and had waited 3 months for the car, I made the decision to not walk away. You're right. I could have lost 2 grand, 12 hours of driving, pissed of my family, and an additional 3 months of waiting. I chose not to. Doesn't mean I can't be upset about the changeover. I found out less than a week before, while the car was already at the SC waiting to delivered. in my case, I had no other option. The train had left the station.

I know I was getting the current MCU offerings when I ordered. But missing it by a day really chaps my underside. Ultimately, this comes down to Tesla sneaking the MCU upgrade in without notification. Had I been told a month or even 2 months after ordering: "hey, there's a new upgraded MCU coming that will significantly improve performance, would you like to transfer your deposit to a new build?", of course I would have taken it.

But Tesla didn't, because Tesla didn't and doesn't care. They're in the business of selling cars, not making people happy. This is why they won't offer an upgrade. They're looking toward the future, not the past. Any car produced before 3/1/18 has already been deemed legacy and EOL. They've got a track record of leaving autos behind in the dust (AP1, AP2).

I'm unfortunate that I missed the cutoff. The person after me is fortunate, since they were the first in line for the upgrade. C'est la vie.

Last edited: