Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best part is they could get Youtube and Netflix running if they wanted to, they just chose a lazy option in how to build it. For wanting to be a “tech company” or “software company” they aren’t really acting that way. Very legacy automaker in how they try to steer ppl to upgrade for added features they easily could have given current owners.

Best part is they could get Youtube and Netflix running if they wanted to, they just chose a lazy option in how to build it. For wanting to be a “tech company” or “software company” they aren’t really acting that way. Very legacy automaker in how they try to steer ppl to upgrade for added features they easily could have given current owners.

I would totally be satisfied with having the Theater Mode option without the arcade upgrade. I guess my only other option is to get the backup camera mod for $500. I’m gonna wait though, and see what comes of it as we go to version 10.1.

I love how all of the Model 3 and MCU 2 owners are like, “Sorry bro, but you can’t expect Tesla to keep upgrading hardware in older cars. You need to just go buy a new one and stop complaining.”

I guarantee you if half of the M3’s were in the same position as us MCU1 owners, there would be an uprising. It just sucks because most of the owners going without the games and theater mode are the people that paid the most. I personally don’t think a Jan.-Feb. 2018 Model S or X should be considered outdated and not upgradeable. Those owners barely have had there car for 18 months, and now have no upgrade path while major updates pass them by.

Where is Rich Rebuilds. He needs to get his hands on an MCU2/Wire harness/antennas and make an upgrade tutorial video.

I think there has to be a pretty large group of us that would be interested in that, minus the MCU2/M3 crowd that seem pretty indignant to the rest of us.

have been waiting for MCU2 retrofit for 18 months :-/

Yeah, it's going to be funny when they roll out the MCU2 upgrade, everybody jumps on it, and then 2 months later come out with MCU3. I'll bet $100 that happens.

Honestly the improvement from mcu2 to mcu3 won't be that drastic. Mcu2 is exponentially faster than mcu1. What could they add to mcu3 that mcu2 can't handle. Video? Web browser with video. Only thing i see intense games and 4k video

Think this will be higher priority for owners now that the amount of features missing with MCU1 keeps getting larger, especially in V10, I know that the case for me personally.

I agree, the gap has widened greatly and it’s painfully obvious how truly inferior MCU1 has become. Owners will be pushing for an upgrade path much harder now. Hopefully the pressure will make Tesla finally act, and not just tweet about it.

Reactions: cybergates
Tech companies are plenty versed in the “lazy way” that minimizes technical debt to maintain. Do Netflix or Hulu support IE 6?

Tech companies are plenty versed in the “lazy way” that minimizes technical debt to maintain. Do Netflix or Hulu support IE 6?

Yeah I guess, what they did here though is basically saying that they won’t spend money to offer the same software on 1.5 year old cars. The question then becomes, why should I spend money on a new Tesla if the shelf life can be as low as 1.5 years?

Reactions: outdoors and am_dmd
Yeah I guess, what they did here though is basically saying that they won’t spend money to offer the same software on 1.5 year old cars. The question then becomes, why should I spend money on a new Tesla if the shelf life can be as low as 1.5 years?

1) Welcome to emerging technology.

2) Guess that depends how you define “shelf life”. My car does everything it did 3 years ago and quite a bit more. Do I get all the new features that weren’t even conceived when I bought? No, but that seems to be a somewhat unreasonable expectation to me.

Toyota released a new version of their infotainment system the year after we bought our Highlander that supports Apple CarPlay. I would have REALLY liked that. Do you think Toyota will rip out the radio and install one from the next model year? With other auto makers it’s such an absurd question few if any would even bother asking.

Perfectly said. The “You guys just need to be happy with your old cars and not cause a stink” attitude of all M3 and 2019 S and X owners would change real quick if 2020 software leaves them behind.

Reactions: am_dmd

2) Guess that depends how you define “shelf life”. My car does everything it did 3 years ago and quite a bit more. Do I get all the new features that weren’t even conceived when I bought? No, but that seems to be a somewhat unreasonable expectation to me.

Toyota released a new version of their infotainment system the year after we bought our Highlander that supports Apple CarPlay. I would have REALLY liked that. Do you think Toyota will rip out the radio and install one from the next model year? With other auto makers it’s such an absurd question few if any would even bother asking.

I agree, but we’re talking about a tech company more than an auto company with Tesla, and statements were made that led us to believe there was an upgrade path when we asked. Yes If I bought a Corolla expectations would be a bit less, but I bought a modern marvel of science with cutting edge tech that I want to remain cutting edge for more than 18 months. These things aren’t the price of an iPad, they were 100k +

Well if the software with OTA updates that brings new features is one of the selling points for a Tesla over say an Audi or Porsche EV then I except it to last for a while at least. Basically the whole idea was that the car was to become a tech product, something that Tesla and Elon have been pushing hard. If you remove the ”tech product” thing from the Tesla it does start looking quite poor compared to the competition, I am not buying a Tesla because of their more luxorious interior or more comfortable ride so to say.

And my experience from the german manufacturers are that they most certaintly will install upgrades, they might be expensive as hell but they will install them.

Perfectly said. The “You guys just need to be happy with your old cars and not cause a stink” attitude of all M3 and 2019 S and X owners would change real quick if 2020 software leaves them behind.

I have a 2016 MCU1 / AP 2.0 car - arguably one of the most quickly “left behind” configurations our there, and my opinion is mostly as you describe. Does that make it more or less valid?

Bottom line. All points are valid, but the fact remains that MCU1 performance is sub par at best and there should be an upgrade path for those that it means enough to, to drop more money into these cars. Elon promised there would be. He should be held to that statement and let us have that option.

Reactions: sku100