Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But until it takes less than several weeks to get an appointment for 'real stuff', this is gonna be a pipe dream. And they need to develop and test whatever wiring harness and process (and cost) is needed to actually do this.

How long will that take? How much will that take?

THEN they need to cost it out to see if anyone wants it. What if it takes 10 hours per upgrade? That's maybe $5000 USD with parts. (All made up, but just sayin'....). New MCU, and custom wiring harness....

How much are they willing to invest in this just to make us happy? Ugh.....

What would you pay? What would you NOT pay?

I might pay 3 or 4K... after that, maybe I'll get a Y next year, anyway.....

Reactions: HankLloydRight
But until it takes less than several weeks to get an appointment for 'real stuff', this is gonna be a pipe dream. And they need to develop and test whatever wiring harness and process (and cost) is needed to actually do this.

THEN they need to cost it out to see if anyone wants it. What if it takes 10 hours per upgrade? That's maybe $5000 USD with parts. (All made up, but just sayin'....). New MCU, and custom wiring harness....

I would be willing to pay 3 - 5K for the MCU2 upgrade. That would be a lot cheaper than when I spent over $46,000 to trade in my S85D for a S90D with AP2/MCU1.

I think you've touched on the real issue. Tesla service in many areas is overwhelmed by the sheer number of vehicles on the road now. They have to give priority to their warranty customers. We already know the MCU replacement is about $2,500, add the IC and wiring for another $1,000+, plus a conservative 5 hours of labor and you're looking at least $4-4.5k assuming no profit margin. Considering Bioweapon Mode has been sold for $750 and $500 despite only requiring a quick software change, a $170 filter and under 30 minutes of labor, I suspect an MCU upgrade is going to be more than people expect and won't be offered until Tesla has their service issues under control.

Ok, to sum up:

1. It appears to be physically possible to do such a retrofit
2. Tesla has, in the past, introduced such retrofits for some items(Bioweapon defense, center console, even, from what I’ve heard, seats) but not for others(90->100 battery, power hatch lift)
3. Tesla is not currently offering this upgrade, though Elon has mentioned that they would in the past(which has proven to be an imperfect predictor)

Will they offer it at some point in the future? Nobody here knows. And nobody here will know until/unless Tesla announces something on the matter.

According to verygreen you'd just need to swap the MCU and the IC and then do some software configuration on the MCU. Seems very simple, something could be done in 1-2 hours by a trained professional.
But,,,
doesn't this effect any future firmware upgrades?
Tesla would assume your car still has MCU1 and therefore will send corresponding updates?
What determines what packets are meant for your car's OS?

Ok, to sum up:

1. It appears to be physically possible to do such a retrofit
2. Tesla has, in the past, introduced such retrofits for some items(Bioweapon defense, center console, even, from what I’ve heard, seats) but not for others(90->100 battery, power hatch lift)
3. Tesla is not currently offering this upgrade, though Elon has mentioned that they would in the past(which has proven to be an imperfect predictor)

Will they offer it at some point in the future? Nobody here knows. And nobody here will know until/unless Tesla announces something on the matter.
Tesla has announced numerous things that have yet seen the light of day. Well know when they actually start doing it on request.

Tesla has announced numerous things that have yet seen the light of day. Well know when they actually start doing it on request.

Well, if it shows up in the “Shop” section, it’s probably safe to assume they’ll offer it. Regardless, I wouldn’t expect this to be something where Tesla(the company, not Elon on Twitter) is going to announce they’ll do it in a year. In fact, I doubt there’ll be any explicit announcement at all. If it happens, it’ll just show up on the Shop one day a la BWDM.

But what else wasn't a plug and play upgrade. BWDM is drop in the filter, and add the option to the car, for example. Really, it's $50 plus what they want to charge.

I've seen posts where people still think the MCU replacement is a drop in replacement. Others have posted that it's a much more complicated process and needs a new custom retro-fit wiring harness that doesn't exist. If that's the case, no one knows what it will cost, as the parts need to be designed and created and manufactured (how many?!) (Amortization of that R&D is what I was talking about above.)

And the longer we wait, the more people have moved on to MCU 2 S and X's or even 3s or Ys.....

Ugh.

Just to add, if we could get this, I may hold on to my X a lot longer. But without it, an upgrade to a Y is definitely something to think about. And down the road, an upgraded MCU sure makes resale much better, also.

Reactions: StarLog
But,,,
doesn't this effect any future firmware upgrades?
Tesla would assume your car still has MCU1 and therefore will send corresponding updates?
What determines what packets are meant for your car's OS?
I don't think Tesla sends you an update. I think Tesla allows your car to request an update and the car requests the right one. Can anyone confirm?
Krash is correct, Tesla just sends the update as requested and the car unpacks it and applies the parts that it can use per local configuration files. Base Model 3 SR cars have the same ludicrous code in them as a Raven Model S - they just can't use it. Green mentions he'd haev to configure the MCU - I assume to make it ID his vehicle.

I think most used Tesla buyers aren’t going to know two sugars about MCU1 vs MCU2. The TMC and reddit communities are minuscule compared to the actual number of Tesla owners and potential buyers. Outside of elektrek or teslarati the public never hears about MCU versions.

They hear about Tesla car fires and cop cars running out of charge. :rolleyes:

I put in for a service appointment last week to see if I could get the FSD computer upgrade yet on my AP 2.0 car. I also asked about upgrading from MCU 1 to 2 so I could get full Sentry Mode and the new games and toys.

When someone finally called me back, first he said the FSD computer upgrade has not yet available in the Mountain Region (I’m in Colorado). Then, I had to explain to him why I would want to upgrade from MCU 1 to 2 and what the differences are. After that, he put me on hold for several minutes. When he came back, it was apparent that he had gone to ask somebody or Google it or whatever, because then he told me that the MCU upgrade was available for about $3,000 and that it's probably not worth it because there's no guarantee that I could get the new features even if I got the MCU upgrade.

I love my car, but damn it they need to hire some people who actually are interested in Tesla and know more than the average enthusiast (or at least teach them how to handle prominent questions). This discussion didn't give me a lot of faith.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: ChrML
I put in for a service appointment last week to see if I could get the FSD computer upgrade yet on my AP 2.0 car. I also asked about upgrading from MCU 1 to 2 so I could get full Sentry Mode and the new games and toys.

When someone finally called me back, first he said the FSD computer upgrade has not yet available in the Mountain Region (I’m in Colorado). Then, I had to explain to him why I would want to upgrade from MCU 1 to 2 and what the differences are. After that, he put me on hold for several minutes. When he came back, it was apparent that he had gone to ask somebody or Google it or whatever, because then he told me that the MCU upgrade was available for about $3,000 and that it's probably not worth it because there's no guarantee that I could get the new features even if I got the MCU upgrade.

I love my car, but damn it they need to hire some people who actually are interested in Tesla and know more than the average enthusiast (or at least teach them how to handle prominent questions). This discussion didn't give me a lot of faith.

Safe bet the MCU upgrade he was referring to was to the 2nd generation of the MCU1 unit not to MCU2. Essentially the out of warranty replacement cost for the MCU.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva

Has anyone gotten the upgraded MCU1 to MCU2 and what works and doesn't.

I am willing to throw down some cash for an upgrade but looking for confirmation that I will get You Tube ect.

I love how all of the Model 3 and MCU 2 owners are like, “Sorry bro, but you can’t expect Tesla to keep upgrading hardware in older cars. You need to just go buy a new one and stop complaining.”

I guarantee you if half of the M3’s were in the same position as us MCU1 owners, there would be an uprising. It just sucks because most of the owners going without the games and theater mode are the people that paid the most. I personally don’t think a Jan.-Feb. 2018 Model S or X should be considered outdated and not upgradeable. Those owners barely have had there car for 18 months, and now have no upgrade path while major updates pass them by.

They started announcing MCU2-only features last August. Some of us got abandoned by Tesla when our cars were significantly less than a year old.

Anyone that has a clue isn’t in a service center, they are inside Tesla corporate.

I sat in a service center and heard an employee say (word for word) to another customer that their (service center’s) biggest problem was the forums. So, obviously not a source of data. :D

Too many people ‘knowing‘ too much, I guess.