Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even if you are right and they designed a retrofit kit/harness, unless it literally replaces EVERYTHING that has to do with the new MCU2, adds the new antennas, new instrument cluster,etc, bringing it 100% identical to factory MCU2 car, it would still be not be an MCU2 configuration. To illustrate, let me give you an example: MCU1 has single 2.4GHz WiFi band, MCU2 has dual band 2.4/5GHz. If this new retrofited MCU2 doesn't have a matching antenna in the side mirror, but the software doesn't distinguish between actual original MCU2 and retrofited MCU2, then the software will enable both bands, but 5GHz will function horribly it at all without an antenna. So, your car sees an AP, connects 2.4GHz, AP is informed the car has dual band radio, AP has band-steering enabled, it sees a very strong 2.4GHz signal, so it terminates the 2.4GHz connection reasoning that the car will reconnect on 5GHz. The car tries, fails, so it reconnects back on 2.4GHz and the whole cycle repeats - the car is stuck in infinite reconnect loop. If you tell me that the software will somehow know that it's running on a retrofitted MCU2 as opposed to factory MCU2, then you are telling me it's a new configuration, which you'd call "retrofitted MCU2" and I just dubbed "MCU1.9" - a new configuration for software to account for, be tested and maintained. WiFi is not the only difference btw, there is also integrated vs independent instrument cluster, bluetooh, etc.

Then there is training of all service centers how to install such retrofit, and then amend all repair manuals to account for such retrofitted car - yet another configuration to support. Oh, and then yet another part (retrofit kit) to keep for repairs and for sale in the parts supply chain (which we know is already giving Tesla plenty of troubles scaling).

So, we both agree it's not going to happen, I can just think of many more reasons why not. :)
So add a software flag for the network card, add it to the automatic unit tests and forget about it? How hard can it be? Nobody needs to maintain that, I bet nobody even works on that part of the code before they decide to create MCU3.

I'm a software engineer, I think this "too many configurations" problem is vastly exaggerated. Especially these areas of the code that never make it to the UI, such as the MCU2 upgrade. Just build the software right keeping the right code at the right place in your software stack, and you can handle millions of configuration combinations for 10-15 years without almost any effort.

Yeah, so, seems the original thought was right. To *really* do the upgrade (which means you can’t tell the difference) is about impossible. And I mean a car Tesla can’t tell from a factory MCU 2 with all the bells and whistles (antennas, etc.)

Looks like back where we started. :( (Where’s that Y deposit page....)

What features are missing with MCU1? AFAIK there is no difference except speed. Functions are identical.
Perhaps you mean the APU hardware? AP1 cars are indeed missing some functionality. AP2/AP2.5 cars have all features available, regardless of MCU1 / MCU2.

With the yellow screen they no longer replace the MCU. Instead they now only swap the screen.
ICYDK the web browser is COMPLETLY non functional in MCU1

Yeah, so, seems the original thought was right. To *really* do the upgrade (which means you can’t tell the difference) is about impossible. And I mean a car Tesla can’t tell from a factory MCU 2 with all the bells and whistles (antennas, etc.)

If you don't want the 5gtz radio for WiFi or willing to run your own antenna somewhere else, you can get away with not replacing the mirror.

Reactions: KyleDay

You're falling right into Elon's evil genius trap too. I test drove an M3 two days ago because of this. Didn't love it as much as I do my S, though.

So add a software flag for the network card, add it to the automatic unit tests and forget about it? How hard can it be? Nobody needs to maintain that, I bet nobody even works on that part of the code before they decide to create MCU3.

I'm a software engineer, I think this "too many configurations" problem is vastly exaggerated. Especially these areas of the code that never make it to the UI, such as the MCU2 upgrade. Just build the software right keeping the right code at the right place in your software stack, and you can handle millions of configuration combinations for 10-15 years without almost any effort.

And it's not like Tesla even tests out all configurations on real hardware so the unit tests would be enough :p

Many in this thread will be interested in this petition at change.org. It has over 700 signatures now.

Sign the Petition

Meh, signing a petition is two clicks and free. I don't think it really shows the interest of people willing to put down >$2k for a retrofit program. Now if someone were to set up a funding site with a $1000 buy in per person (to be paid towards the upgrade or refunded if it never happens), that would speak a lot louder than a change.org petition.

And it's not like Tesla even tests out all configurations on real hardware so the unit tests would be enough :p
Yepp, true that. :p

Adding three physical MCU's to the CI/CD pipeline for performing the same unit tests + some basic integration tests on the master branch should be fairly easy though. I'd recommend that they do that ... just for the sake of adding some comfort when releasing rapidly.

• Funny
Reactions: thenaimis

Fist, Tesla doesn't seem to have much automated testing. Second, you cannot test everything for a car in automated testing. Third, it's not just wifi, there are other differences, line BT. Say someone designs "phone as a key" for S/X with MCU 2 - do think automated software test will catch poor performance on retrofitted cars due to lack of BT antennas in the mirrors? Lastly, you have to make sure repair procedures for technicians include how to service such retrofitted MCU. They are not engineers, they need clear directions on what to plug/unplug, or even what parts to order if things break. All that takes time and money. Elon is learning the hard way, but he is streamlining and limiting number of configurations because he learned how expensive it is to have to maintain them for over a decade. Hence no MCU2 retrofit.

Meh, signing a petition is two clicks and free. I don't think it really shows the interest of people willing to put down >$2k for a retrofit program. Now if someone were to set up a funding site with a $1000 buy in per person (to be paid towards the upgrade or refunded if it never happens), that would speak a lot louder than a change.org petition.
Setup a kickstarter for $3K upgrade. Ask for $1,000 payment for the right to buy one later at $2K instead of $3K. Set the goal to 100,000 people (so $100M), or money back. See how close you get.