Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Backup camera is way darker. Even during the day I could tell. MCU1 backup video had the contrast turned way, way up. There were basically no shadows and black level was crushed. MCU2 has contrast way down and while there is no artifacting and the details are vivid in good light, in darkness everything is a shadow. This hopefully should be addressed as the view out the back is not great. The upcoming side camera view might help but we still haven't confirmed that will come to RCCC cam cars (though I don't see why it wouldn't).
I haven't noticed any difference (nor recall hearing about this from others). I'm very happy with my backup camera actually.

I haven't noticed any difference (nor recall hearing about this from others). I'm very happy with my backup camera actually.

I will post before and after backup camera images from the same lighting conditions inside my garage. The difference is stark. I've read others with HW2.5 getting MCU2 upgrades and noticing the same differences. Even with backup lighting, I have some issues seeing more than 10 feet whereas it was so bright and easy before.

I've read others with HW2.5 getting MCU2 upgrades and noticing the same differences.

@croman You are right about this. The problem was even mentioned by owners that used to have an MCU1 car and bought an MCU2 vehicle, and noticed the exact same issue with the rear view image quality. You can read a bit more in this thread.

After your AP2 car is upgraded, is the car reported as AP3 on Teslafi or under AP2?

No you have to update it under settings.
Screenshot_20200623-124233.png

I will post before and after backup camera images from the same lighting conditions inside my garage. The difference is stark. I've read others with HW2.5 getting MCU2 upgrades and noticing the same differences. Even with backup lighting, I have some issues seeing more than 10 feet whereas it was so bright and easy before.
After my MCU2 upgrade, the entire screen seemed dark. I found that the auto brightness had to be re-enabled. Fortunately, our rear view camera doesn't appear any darker than before. We did just wash the car over the weekend and now the backup camera view is looking better than ever.

@croman You are right about this. The problem was even mentioned by owners that used to have an MCU1 car and bought an MCU2 vehicle, and noticed the exact same issue with the rear view image quality. You can read a bit more in this thread.
I mostly drive during the day so that thread indicates it is a noticeable night thing. Got it.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I also think the IC surround piece sticks farther away from the IC than it used to by about .5". I can almost fit my finger behind the IC surround piece and to the edge of the IC and grab the film (but not quite). I don't recall there being a large gap there before.
This area? Mine doesn't have a gap. Perhaps there is a space that they missed or something.
8dmDUvg.jpg

6GWNQD8.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: boaterva and croman
This area? Mine doesn't have a gap. Perhaps there is a space that they missed or something.
8dmDUvg.jpg

6GWNQD8.jpg

That is the gap. Yours seems way more flush to the screen. Mine has a half inch gap. The service center said the IC is physically different and a larger gap is likely but I would like it addressed referrals eventually. They are also encouraging me to remove the IC film like I haven't been trying everything in my own to fix that issue already.

Reactions: John G
Well here we go. I have been waiting on this. Thought I would pause to make sure it was not going to be called back in.

I think I was the first AP 2.0 that had a MCU 1 to 2 with just EAP. Yet Tesla also installed the FSD computer.

Little background. I have had a little go round with Tesla regarding FSD. My original MVPA(new car) that I signed. A copy was never provided to me. Car was purchased from Palm Beach. Shipped from Texas to Michigan. It was sent to my Florida address with no one there and was presumably lost during hurricane season. It is not on my Tesla home page either. Just finance and insurance docs. Summary Tesla has yet to provide it to me. All I have is the same and my window sticker showing FSD. Which means nothing. This has gone on for a year and a half. Half the email responses are I have it. Other ones say I don't.

So it says in car EAP. Tesla service knew it when I pulled in. Tesla SC said FSD computer comes with the package of Infotainment Upgrade. So I confirmed again that it was installed, and I get everything except stopping at lights.

So maybe initially they do come with the FSD computer, because most have FSD per the timetable shown at Tesla and in this thread. Maybe as we go we will see changes as far as just screen etc.

To be quite clear. I did not represent that I had FSD. I just requested via app and they reached out to initially order, and then tell me backordered. Then pieces came in stock. The invoices all match the parts for the upgrade as well.

That is the gap. Yours seems way more flush to the screen. Mine has a half inch gap. The service center said the IC is physically different and a larger gap is likely but I would like it addressed referrals eventually. They are also encouraging me to remove the IC film like I haven't been trying everything in my own to fix that issue already.
I would get pictures from another person or two. I barely have a gap as you can see. That 2nd picture shows a shadow on the far right as the gap is small like the left side. To be honest, I think they messed up your IC install. I don't know how they can explain why it would be different than mine (or others if you get picts). Sorry but I'm also sure you can get it fixed with some more picts and telling them you have examples from other upgrades.

Last edited:
Reactions: croman
Here is the gap as best as I could photo. Note, this is the IC before the protector was removed (hence bubbles and weird scratches). I removed it after the photos (included one of the actual wrap with tab).

Honestly, I will just have them take a look next time I bring the car in (even if it takes months). It is a really minor thing but it is something I want fixed. I told them I could just be crazy too and I'd totally understand if they concluded there is nothing wrong except in my head.

IMG_20200623_135335.jpg
IMG_20200623_135706.jpg
IMG_20200623_135357.jpg

When mine was done, the only thing I needed to 'redo' was BT and Wifi (as those are new hardware with new MAC addresses, as expected). I have no idea why some people had to do redo Homelink, as my settings were migrated. I wonder if it's an option on the settings app that didn't work/didn't get checked, who knows. But it's definitely possible to migrate that. And I didn't have any gap/protector on the IC, either. (Looks like I definitely lucked out, being either the first or second one that Tysons did!)

When mine was done, the only thing I needed to 'redo' was BT and Wifi (as those are new hardware with new MAC addresses, as expected). I have no idea why some people had to do redo Homelink, as my settings were migrated. I wonder if it's an option on the settings app that didn't work/didn't get checked, who knows. But it's definitely possible to migrate that. And I didn't have any gap/protector on the IC, either. (Looks like I definitely lucked out, being either the first or second one that Tysons did!)

Did you notice any darkening of the backup camera image as some members have reported?

Well here we go. I have been waiting on this. Thought I would pause to make sure it was not going to be called back in.

I think I was the first AP 2.0 that had a MCU 1 to 2 with just EAP. Yet Tesla also installed the FSD computer.

Little background. I have had a little go round with Tesla regarding FSD. My original MVPA(new car) that I signed. A copy was never provided to me. Car was purchased from Palm Beach. Shipped from Texas to Michigan. It was sent to my Florida address with no one there and was presumably lost during hurricane season. It is not on my Tesla home page either. Just finance and insurance docs. Summary Tesla has yet to provide it to me. All I have is the same and my window sticker showing FSD. Which means nothing. This has gone on for a year and a half. Half the email responses are I have it. Other ones say I don't.

So it says in car EAP. Tesla service knew it when I pulled in. Tesla SC said FSD computer comes with the package of Infotainment Upgrade. So I confirmed again that it was installed, and I get everything except stopping at lights.

So maybe initially they do come with the FSD computer, because most have FSD per the timetable shown at Tesla and in this thread. Maybe as we go we will see changes as far as just screen etc.

To be quite clear. I did not represent that I had FSD. I just requested via app and they reached out to initially order, and then tell me backordered. Then pieces came in stock. The invoices all match the parts for the upgrade as well.

FWIW, I can confirm the same on a MX even without the drama. I noticed my parts list had HW3 computer on it and I specifically asked since I wasn't looking to pay for a FSD upgrade. They confirmed and I now have a MCU2+EAP car. The question is how long this will continue. I wonder if it's a compatibility thing, or if it'll be pulled in the future similar to how the screens are now not being replaced as well.