Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
U.S. probes touchscreen failures in Tesla Model S cars

Hopefully they are forced to recall and repair cars with mcu1.

Those from 2016-2017 should submit something. It only covers cars to 2015, and MCU1 was used after that.

For anyone wondering if their MCU1 is near death and whether to upgrade. This happened to mine yesterday and i need to reboot once each day to get streaming and 4g to work. For reference I have a 2017 with 49k miles. I reported all this to Tesla to look at when my car is in for AC repair next month. Ill then need to decide to pay the $2500 if they don't replace the MCU

Document the heck out of it. Mine started being problematic at 49,000 miles. Fully failed 10,000 miles later - conveniently out of warranty.

Just got an invoice for my upgrade (scheduled tomorrow). Appears odd in that there are two entries and the part numbers for one appear to be different than what others have reported. I also see no mention of a cable assembly or the four screws others have reported. My invoice states:

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 12.00.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 12.00.22 PM.png

The touchscreen part number in work item 1 appears to be correct, but the upgrade in work item 3 (ending in "B") appears to be new. I'm wondering if this is the AP3 kit with the cable (note it says "NODISP"). Maybe this is the AP3 upgrade kit for those who don't upgrade the MCU and just keep MCU1 and go from AP2 to AP3?

If anyone has any insights, would very much appreciate them as I certainly don't want to drive all the way to the service center only to discover they are missing parts and don't have the whole kit. Of note, I was told the upgrade will take 1 to 2 days and will definitely not be done same day (this is at the Tyson's Tyco Road service center in Virginia).

Note: My care is an AP2/MCU1 car built in March 2017.

Last edited:
Dear Tesla Technician -

I know that my MCU2 retrofit means that I will lose AM/FM/XM radio because part of the retrofit process does NOT include replacing the old analog tuner (for mcu1) with the new digital tuner (for mcu2).

However, I have replaced the tuner myself, and all the wiring is completed. I've even routed the single cable to the rear of the MCU so you can plug it I to mcu2 once your retrofit is complete.

However, mcu2 will not provision the new tuner unless you enable it in the gateway's internals.dat car configuration. It's my understanding that all that needs to happen is to change "ethernettunertype 1" to "ethernettunertype 0" (or just removing that line entirely" in the gateway and it'll start to work.

Would you mind doing this while Toolbox is connected?

Thank you

Any others have had any luck with this? My mobile techs here are willing to try this, with the understanding that I can't return the MCU2 and new tuner I already purchased.

There are
Just got an invoice for my upgrade (scheduled tomorrow). Appears odd in that there are two entries and the part numbers for one appear to be different than what others have reported. I also see no mention of a cable assembly or the four screws others have reported. My invoice states:

View attachment 555684
View attachment 555685

The touchscreen part number in work item 1 appears to be correct, but the upgrade in work item 3 (ending in "B") appears to be new. I'm wondering if this is the AP3 kit with the cable (note it says "NODISP"). Maybe this is the AP3 upgrade kit for those who don't upgrade the MCU and just keep MCU1 and go from AP2 to AP3?

If anyone has any insights, would very much appreciate them as I certainly don't want to drive all the way to the service center only to discover they are missing parts and don't have the whole kit. Of note, I was told the upgrade will take 1 to 2 days and will definitely not be done same day (this is at the Tyson's Tyco Road service center in Virginia).

The third item is the FSD harness for 2.0 cars with the MCU2 kit (which includes ic2 and HW3).

I had the other items as well. I'm inquiring if my screen wasn't replaced as my ordered part says no disp.

@croman Thanks for the explanation. Presumably the first item is the replacement with display since it says "with replacement touchscreen". I'm guessing those who don't get the display replaced have a different part number/description and presumably the $250 discount. Guess I'll ask/confirm when I get there.

I think the first one is the generic package but my actual mcu2 part says no disp. And my work order lists the replacement parts and no screen is mentioned but it says tegra to Intel but that could be done without swapping screens.

Honestly I paid the full price because I want the 4yr warranty to cover everything.

Reactions: drklain
There are many different types of HomeLink. Would likely depend on the type/generation you have. My Chamberlain MyQ openers are less than a year old and had to be re-programmed after the MCU upgrade.

I wasn't aware HL changed at all/that much on the S and X. If so, that accounts for it, of course. Never saw that mentioned anywhere here in the last four years, but I'll take your word for it.

I am scheduled for next week for my HW3 and MCU2 upgrade on my March 2017build Model S. For now my invoice has me down for the $2500 for the MCU2 (already bought the HW3 before the price increase) but after reading the article I am wondering if Tesla will have to eventually recall those cars and replace them with MCU2. If so, I would have to think that they would also have to refund the $2500 to anyone that paid for the MCU2 upgrade.

Reactions: TK16688
I am scheduled for next week for my HW3 and MCU2 upgrade on my March 2017build Model S. For now my invoice has me down for the $2500 for the MCU2 (already bought the HW3 before the price increase) but after reading the article I am wondering if Tesla will have to eventually recall those cars and replace them with MCU2. If so, I would have to think that they would also have to refund the $2500 to anyone that paid for the MCU2 upgrade.

If they are liable they would just have to replace with another MCU1. And with the new software fix they could show that MCU1 would last much longer

<snip>

Note: My care is an AP2/MCU1 car built in March 2017.
That same part number has shows up before but with different text. See line 2.
KS5mA5u.jpg

FYI on 10% off for keeping your existing screen, I was texted this for my appt to do MCU2 & HW3 upgrades & recall repair:

....The Infotainment Upgrade parts will need to be ordered. Also you have the option to have it installed at a 10% discount if you choose to retain your current display. Please let us know how you'd like to proceed at your earliest convenience to ensure we order the correct parts, thank you!

Also FWIW, I received note in app for the HW3 upgrade and recall repair, but not for the MCU2 Infotainment upgrade.

That was not a request. It appears the estimated quote they sent him exposed a MCU part number not seen before and a description that represented it did not include the screen.

I'd recently heard a rumor that Tesla has a shortage of screens. That could explain why his did not include the screen. But he didn't get the price reduction until he asked for it.

@Dreamontom99 Why would I want to keep old screen? Especially with any warranty issues?

Some people are doing it to save the $250 bucks and rolling the dice on the screen. Personally I'm going to pay the full $2500 which presumably means everything in the MCU is warrantied without any cost to me for the next 4 years (my car is 3 years old now).

Screens have never been an issue. Other than the yellowing which can be fixed with UV.
Not true. Some of the earlier screens had bubbling and leaking fluid/glue due to issues in manufacture. I believe those were mainly pre-autopilot screens anyway, but there have been issues with the screens besides the yellowing. In addition, the jury is still out on the UV fix and there are indications that (a) it may not be a permanent fix, (b) Tesla doesn't warranty that fix, and (c) if it returns you may have to pay for the fix yourself).

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva