Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure they including HW 3.0 as part of MCU upgrade? seems not necessary. but if they do it's a great deal. too bad, I already purchased FSD last month when it was offered at $3K.
I think it’s an AP 2.0 thing? Seems people with AP2 cars have ended up with HW3 even if they didn’t order FSD.

I speculate that AP2/MCU2 is not a tested/valid/compatible config and rather than go through the effort to make it such they’ve just decided to swap the AP computer.

I received the following text message from service today in regards to my scheduled appointment for the Infotainment Upgrade:
Hello, we are revising our process to optimize installation time and are pausing this retrofit until mid-August. In the meantime, we will ... order a kit on your behalf (if not already ordered) and contact you when the procedure is resumed.
A few minutes later, I received an email notifying me that my appointment was cancelled, even though I had numerous other issues to be addressed on my appointment.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cheburashka
It is just the hardware. We still need to buy the software to unlock the capabilities.

True. But I'm in for the long haul with this car and think it's reasonable to expect that future software improvements to even the basic functionality of autosteer, lane changes, summon, NOA, etc. are going to be optimized for HW3+, so there's incentive for me to be on the latest hardware platform even if I don't pony up for FSD (which I have no plans to do at the moment).

HW 2.0 is a dead end turd of a platform that probably should have never been released.

Any TeslaFi people here? Ever since the upgrade, my X hasn't slept at all that I can see. I've got the settings changed for MCU 2 (and tried a lot of options) [Set to no shift state, others unchecked, etc.], car is not using Sentry or Summon setup (whatever that is called), etc. Was fine under MCU 1, but no dice for the new MCU 2. Rebooted, powered off, etc. Anyone got a working config or suggestions? Thanks!

I’ve got an interesting one...
I have ‘16 AP1 and thought a couple of days ago that I might as well try to schedule an appointment for the upgrade as far Into the future as possible (which at the time was end of July). Yesterday tesla texted me asking if I purchased the upgraded through the upgrade section of the Tesla app, to which I responded that it wasn’t an option for me.

I then told them that I heard my car would be eligible soon and that I just wanted to get in line, which is why I scheduled so far into the future.

they then said no problem and they would request the upgrade on their end and order the parts, so then I had them move the upgrade sooner.

Last night I got an email saying they ordered parts, and I check and they ordered parts for an AP2 MCU upgrade
with HW3 upgrade. This will be interesting.....(I’m fully expecting them to come back and say my car is not ready for upgrade, but we’ll see)

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
I’ve got an interesting one...
I have ‘16 AP1 and thought a couple of days ago that I might as well try to schedule an appointment for the upgrade as far Into the future as possible (which at the time was end of July). Yesterday tesla texted me asking if I purchased the upgraded through the upgrade section of the Tesla app, to which I responded that it wasn’t an option for me.

I then told them that I heard my car would be eligible soon and that I just wanted to get in line, which is why I scheduled so far into the future.

they then said no problem and they would request the upgrade on their end and order the parts, so then I had them move the upgrade sooner.

Last night I got an email saying they ordered parts, and I check and they ordered parts for an AP2 MCU upgrade
with HW3 upgrade. This will be interesting.....(I’m fully expecting them to come back and say my car is not ready for upgrade, but we’ll see)

That kit probably won't work with your car. You definitely need the correct kit which might not be available. Same thing happened to me just before the AP2 kits came out. My service center tried and failed and then succeed easily weeks later with the right kit and firmware.

• Informative
Reactions: Evee and boaterva
According to the website AP 2.0 cars are now eligible for the MCU2 infotainment upgrade. No mention of FSD being a requirement:

Infotainment Upgrade

Also the service center in Santa Clara, CA just confirmed my appointment for the upgrade on Monday after initially stating I needed FSD. I have a 2016 Model S with AP 2.0 EAP (no FSD).

Last edited:
Any TeslaFi people here? Ever since the upgrade, my X hasn't slept at all that I can see. I've got the settings changed for MCU 2 (and tried a lot of options) [Set to no shift state, others unchecked, etc.], car is not using Sentry or Summon setup (whatever that is called), etc. Was fine under MCU 1, but no dice for the new MCU 2. Rebooted, powered off, etc. Anyone got a working config or suggestions? Thanks!

I can't speak from the MCU2 upgrade perspective (my X came with it) but I did get my HW3 retrofit about a month ago. I haven't been driving the X much with all that's going on though. With TeslaFi since the HW3 addition I notice my car doesn't sleep as much right off the bat, but over a few days it will sleep more frequently. For example about a week ago I took the X out and charged while at work. The next few days after that I drove my other vehicle while the X was home, unplugged. It didn't sleep much that first day, but the second day it slept maybe 12 hours, and by day 3 (and every day since) it's been sleeping 23hrs out of the day. I've noticed the longer it sits (and I don't access it on the Apps, just web based TeslaFi) the more it sleeps. Obviously Sentry mode is off while it's safe in my garage.

I can't speak from the MCU2 upgrade perspective (my X came with it) but I did get my HW3 retrofit about a month ago. I haven't been driving the X much with all that's going on though. With TeslaFi since the HW3 addition I notice my car doesn't sleep as much right off the bat, but over a few days it will sleep more frequently. For example about a week ago I took the X out and charged while at work. The next few days after that I drove my other vehicle while the X was home, unplugged. It didn't sleep much that first day, but the second day it slept maybe 12 hours, and by day 3 (and every day since) it's been sleeping 23hrs out of the day. I've noticed the longer it sits (and I don't access it on the Apps, just web based TeslaFi) the more it sleeps. Obviously Sentry mode is off while it's safe in my garage.
Thanks, I was going to ask for settings, but of course as soon as I post about it, with no changes, it then decides to cooperate. No idea why. It's been on the same version for a week. Lol.