Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla removing 2 years of warranty on this is a real bummer.

I'm debating doing the upgrade now vs later.

I already have a ranger coming by to do the FSD upgrade. I really am not feeling dealing with Tesla service again. It seems like it's becoming a clustertruck again with some people not getting new screens.

Has anyone here done the FSD computer first, then the MCU2 after?

My sense from this thread and maybe another one is that, yes, there’s a decent number of folks who are doing HW3 without MCU2, but it seems to be a distinct minority.

I got my HW3 upgrade on Thursday, holding off on MCU2 for now.

My sense from this thread and maybe another one is that, yes, there’s a decent number of folks who are doing HW3 without MCU2, but it seems to be a distinct minority.

I got my HW3 upgrade on Thursday, holding off on MCU2 for now.

Curious to hear some feedback. Did the MCU get even slower after the update or is it still somewhat usable?

I am planning to get MCU2 eventually but I want to wait until Tesla gets their crap together. Seems to be many problems with misaligned screens, screens not replaced, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: GWord

Well.... I think I can see why he is being “torn apart” by looking no further than the title of that thread.

If he hadn’t written those last 3 words, I highly doubt there would be the initial hostility. So the author of that post did two things:

1. Acts “surprised” by the “fanboy” reactions even though he’s the one that initiated the negative bias.

2. Comes back here and posts to make it sound like all the fanboys attacked him for no reason (just shooting the messenger).

Hmm

When I scheduled my appointment for the Infotainment Upgrade, I very specifically specified, "...including screen replacement, as current screen has yellowed borders." However, contrary to my expressed wishes, when I received my email for "Parts Update for Your Service Visit", it specified, " MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA Part #: 9874561-00-B". Now service is ignoring my attempts to contact them regarding this.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
When I scheduled my appointment for the Infotainment Upgrade, I very specifically specified, "...including screen replacement, as current screen has yellowed borders." However, contrary to my expressed wishes, when I received my email for "Parts Update for Your Service Visit", it specified, " MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5 - WITHOUT DISPLAY - NORTH AMERICA Part #: 9874561-00-B". Now service is ignoring my attempts to contact them regarding this.

That is unfortunate. But they can fix the yellow borders with that UV treatment. If the yellow borders is the only issue with your screen, you will probably not be able to tell the difference between your screen and a new one. Just make sure you don’t get charged for the screen.

If I had a yellow bordered display, I would certainly let them know you want to cancel until you got a confirmation that you are getting the "A" kit for $2500 vs "B" kit for $2250.

Blfljlf.jpg

For those that care sometime since June 1st. 2020 Tesla has updated the warranty and reduced the coverage on MCU replacements. It is now only 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...repair-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf?redirect=no

As of June 1st, 2020 it was still a full 4 years: Wayback Machine

Not good... very disappointed in Tesla. More detailed information from Electrek.

Tesla updates ridiculous warranty on problematic media unit and touchscreen - Electrek

Reactions: MP3Mike
Well.... I think I can see why he is being “torn apart” by looking no further than the title of that thread.

If he hadn’t written those last 3 words, I highly doubt there would be the initial hostility. So the author of that post did two things:

1. Acts “surprised” by the “fanboy” reactions even though he’s the one that initiated the negative bias.

2. Comes back here and posts to make it sound like all the fanboys attacked him for no reason (just shooting the messenger).

Hmm

Screenshot_20200704-225440.jpg

Or OP is getting attacked with random made up facts by tesla fanboys. Just checked that thread more after a day of bbq. This guy literally posted this misinformation on the thread dozens of times. Same message copy and pasted. He claims it was a 90 day warranty upped to 2 years and that we should be praising Elon. And yes it is a sleazy move.

Last edited:
What is the effective date of the warranty change? I can't find a date on the pdf of the warranty....

There is none. Wayback machine shows last known valid date of June 14th 2020 for the 4 year no limit on miles warranty. I believe that July 1 is a decent start date for a new warranty but who knows? I asked on June 22 when I got my MCU2 upgrade and was told 4 years but front line staff are usually the last to know (even less than some customers). It is not like the warranty terms are actually stated anywhere on the service invoice.

Curious to hear some feedback. Did the MCU get even slower after the update or is it still somewhat usable?

Depends on what you consider to be “usable”. Does it still work? Sure, eventually. Navigating from my office to home, or my home to a random place within about 20 miles takes somewhere on the order of minutes. I guess that’s fine though, seeing as how the screen going black randomly hides some of that delay. So yeah, perfectly usable!