Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing? Please enlighten us!!!
I expected to pay $500, but didn’t have to. Here’s the invoice.

95DC7EFA-3A3D-495E-A3F1-2CD5FCD12F1C.jpeg

...is it possible for a non sat radio equipped car to now receive sat radio - ie no sunroof ?...

@Zepman, your answer is no...Note: Sirius XM radio is only available on vehicles with existing XM radio antennas and requires an additional subscription...
I think no one without XM will get XM from a service center upgrade. However if you read what Tesla says closely, you don't need a current XM receiver. You only need an XM antenna. I wonder if there are some cars that have antennas because they were built when XM was available to order and hence the harness had it even though the car didn't ship with an XM receiver. If I had one of those I would upgrade myself - to the new 5G MCU 2.1. Grin.

Got my 2013 P85 MCU1 upgraded recently with a new center screen (since my old one had bubbles). They did a great job. No physical issues inside the car; the trim was installed correctly and is in great shape. Main screen looks great, drivers screen looks great.

There is a new graphic interface on the screens that my old screens couldn't/wouldn't produce. I like the new look...

I had the Reuss stereo upgrade prior, and to me the stereo sounded the same after the MCU upgrade (with the same settings) as before, so no issues with the sound. Still love the Reuss upgrade with two subwoofers...

Added the garage door back in and went through all the settings.

Entertainment functions work great, screen performance is much snappier, haven't tried the browser yet, but I will...So far I'm very happy with the upgrade...Would highly recommend it, especially if you have screen issues prior like I did...

I’ve got a warranty question/conundrum. I was supposed to have MCU2 by now but Cincinnati has pushed me back 2 weeks now. Anyway, I bought a used Model X in June so it still has the 4 year limited warranty until June 2024. If I replace the computer, but keep my old screen, will the screen still be warrantied until 2024 or will it be under the new warranty? I’m thinking I should keep my old screen, if I can, since it should have the better warranty.

Yes, keep your old screen and it will retain the original car warranty. I would make sure I have copies of my invoice from the MCU2 less screen for proof later. Like maybe even print one and keep it in the glove box. Yes, your SC record should reflect that, but why take the change? Sure as you don't you will need it. Sure as you prepare for the worse, it never comes..

Reactions: lonnielevi and bmah
Well, got a text message yesterday: "Unfortunately at this time the infotainment upgrades are constrained. We do not have an ETA at this time on when they will be available again. The pricing is $2250 for infotainment without a new screen, $2500 for infotainment with a new screen. If you did not have any further questions, I can cancel your appointment on your behalf. I would recommend checking back in in a few months as we have been constrained for a few months already."

I asked about the rumor of an FM radio becoming part of the upgrade. "At this time, we do not have any additional information on whether FM radio will be added to the infotainment 2."

So there you have it. Still nothing.
So I've tried again. Made an appointment to get the MCU2 upgrade to my MCU1 2017 Model S, already upgraded to AP HW3. As usual, on 11/29 the app made me schedule a mobile service appointment, then a day later somebody figured out it had to be at a service center and picked the wrong one, so I had to change it. In any case, it's now scheduled for this Wednesday and hasn't been cancelled yet, so maybe third time's the charm. I decided not to get the radio upgrade, as I never use it.

I have twice now gotten e-mail telling me that they ordered parts for the service:
Parts Ordered
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP3.0 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874563-00-A
Order Date: December 2, 2020

Yesterday's e-mail also says:
Ship Date: Pending

Anybody have a pointer to a recent iteration of the checklist? I'm guessing it's still best to check that everything still works after getting the car back.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I am an advocate for the MCU2 Upgrade. I think its the best thing we can do to our older cars to make them "like new". I am so glad that I did it. Two words, IMO, "merely wonderful". Mine was done in late Mar '20. In the following 2-3 months we saw many people on the fence and some took the leap. And for the next couple months after that, we saw more with a backlog waiting on parts of two weeks or so. Now it seems the wait is considerably longer.

This is the same MCU that they are using in 2020/2021 cars. So its not out of production. We've not heard of a big jump in S/X production, so there's no reason to believe more new MCU2 are going to the new car production line than to the parts supply line. So, makes sense there's no more new production cars getting a slice of what was available in the summer/fall. And there's no reason for Tesla to be ordering/building less MCU2s now than they were in the summer. Sound like a round about way to saying, it looks to me like there's more people these days upgrading to MCU2 than anticipated and more per month that were since April-Aug/Sep this year. Good. Yes, it cost, its not free. But its like getting a new car/S/X for $2500 there abouts.

I did my own short cost benefits analysis by costing out the value of the individual parts - even factoring the lost of the FM radio. That analysis is a post in one of the MCU2 threads here. And I think its a bargain at only $2500.

I am an advocate for the MCU2 Upgrade. I think its the best thing we can do to our older cars to make them "like new". I am so glad that I did it. Two words, IMO, "merely wonderful". Mine was done in late Mar '20. In the following 2-3 months we saw many people on the fence and some took the leap. And for the next couple months after that, we saw more with a backlog waiting on parts of two weeks or so. Now it seems the wait is considerably longer.

This is the same MCU that they are using in 2020/2021 cars. So its not out of production. We've not heard of a big jump in S/X production, so there's no reason to believe more new MCU2 are going to the new car production line than to the parts supply line. So, makes sense there's no more new production cars getting a slice of what was available in the summer/fall. And there's no reason for Tesla to be ordering/building less MCU2s now than they were in the summer. Sound like a round about way to saying, it looks to me like there's more people these days upgrading to MCU2 than anticipated and more per month that were since April-Aug/Sep this year. Good. Yes, it cost, its not free. But its like getting a new car/S/X for $2500 there abouts.

I did my own short cost benefits analysis by costing out the value of the individual parts - even factoring the lost of the FM radio. That analysis is a post in one of the MCU2 threads here. And I think its a bargain at only $2500.
In my case, I have the original 3G modem (never spent the $500 for the LTE modem) so that will be included in the upgrade. I'll probably get it one of these days. No real pressure now since not traveling much. By next summer hopefully it will be OK to long distance travel again and I'll try to schedule it before then.

Reactions: Akikiki
In my case, I have the original 3G modem (never spent the $500 for the LTE modem) so that will be included in the upgrade. I'll probably get it one of these days. No real pressure now since not traveling much. By next summer hopefully it will be OK to long distance travel again and I'll try to schedule it before then.

If you can wait, I would wait. After Feb 2021 when we learn from Tesla if they are going to compensate some of us for our MCU1 repairs or maybe MCU2 upgrades, your net to purchase might be different. It's worth the wait, I think.

Tesla is already including LTE upgrades for MCU1 replacements and MCU2 Upgrades. That helps swallow the cost either way. And we've heard lately of some combined labor costs for performing LTE upgrades at the same time as eMMC daughterboard replacements. So, you might save some $$$ there too.

Either way, it does not look like it will cost more - but will possibly cost you less if you wait. Who knew.

Whoa, the list fails to mention one of the most Pain-in-the-Ass when overlooked items. Be absolutely sure you lock and unlock the car with the fobs to make sure they work. THEN, use your app to unlock/lock and start your car. Its easy for Techs to miss setting up the security certificates to match your car to new MCU. You could find yourself unable to open and start your car, because they over looked this task. They can usually fix it remotely. But check it before you depart. Check it before they close.

Would we all not look a little silly running along next to our car under Summon trying to keep up with it because the doors are locked?

Reactions: KalJoMoS
So I've tried again. Made an appointment to get the MCU2 upgrade to my MCU1 2017 Model S, already upgraded to AP HW3. As usual, on 11/29 the app made me schedule a mobile service appointment, then a day later somebody figured out it had to be at a service center and picked the wrong one, so I had to change it. In any case, it's now scheduled for this Wednesday and hasn't been cancelled yet, so maybe third time's the charm. I decided not to get the radio upgrade, as I never use it.

I have twice now gotten e-mail telling me that they ordered parts for the service:
Parts Ordered
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP3.0 - NORTH AMERICA
Part #: 9874563-00-A
Order Date: December 2, 2020

Yesterday's e-mail also says:
Ship Date: Pending

Anybody have a pointer to a recent iteration of the checklist? I'm guessing it's still best to check that everything still works after getting the car back.
And an update. I know you've all been waiting to see if this time they finally do it.

But no. On Tuesday they texted me that they were still waiting for parts and so they'd postponed my appointment until a week from Friday (12/18). So, I continue to wait. At least this time it's only projected to be an extra week rather than for an unknown time.

Still hoping somebody has a pointer to a good checklist for this upgrade. I know quite a few people have gone home only to find that something on their car didn't work.