Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla lowering trade in value due to dash cam?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a call from my DA today that because I had a Blackvue camera installed below the rearview mirror, they were going to lower my trade-in value of my 2015 MS 85D by $4000. Has anyone encountered this before? Never had any issues with AP or anything else, and I've had the camera installed for years.

Got a call from my DA today that because I had a Blackvue camera installed below the rearview mirror, they were going to lower my trade-in value of my 2015 MS 85D by $4000. Has anyone encountered this before? Never had any issues with AP or anything else, and I've had the camera installed for years.

That...is pretty crazy. Granted, I normally remove dash cams before trading in (so I can put them in the next car), but $4000 sounds like a lot. But, I dont think there is much you will be able to do for it now.

Dunno of you are in a state with a trade in tax reduction, but I might take the car over to CarMax or Vroom or something and get a appraisal there instead. Probably without the dash cam installed just in case.

That...is pretty crazy. Granted, I normally remove dash cams before trading in (so I can put them in the next car), but $4000 sounds like a lot. But, I dont think there is much you will be able to do for it now.

Dunno of you are in a state with a trade in tax reduction, but I might take the car over to CarMax or Vroom or something and get a appraisal there instead. Probably without the dash cam installed just in case.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have mentioned that during the trade in, but it seems quite excessive either way. Carmax is way below Tesla so not worth it.

Pay a shop $50 to remove the dashcam. You just made $3950!

Blackvue? SImply grasp the housing mount and the camera and pull it down slowly. Tuck the wires out of sight for the next owner to find. And don't mention what you did.

Do you have OEM wheels still on your Tesla? Its been reported that Tesla does not like taking in trades that do not have the factory wheels. Maybe that's why they lowered your trade-in value.

Blackvue? SImply grasp the housing mount and the camera and pull it down slowly. Tuck the wires out of sight for the next owner to find. And don't mention what you did.

Do you have OEM wheels still on your Tesla? Its been reported that Tesla does not like taking in trades that do not have the factory wheels. Maybe that's why they lowered your trade-in value.

I got this resolved through the sales folks, but it was literally due to the dash cam. I hid all the cables inside the trim during trade in, and service center said nothing.

I had stock wheels on, never had aftermarket.

It’s fairly standard that trade ins ask if you made ANY non factory modifications to the car, and if you say yes, the car takes a pretty sizable trade in hit, regardless of your opinion of whether or not it should. Sucks, but you have to either choose to be dishonest about that (after uninstalling your dashcam), take the hit, or try a private party sale to someone who values your dashcam install.