Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making CCS adapter for fast charging interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not seen an EA L2 but the other providers often have both, particularly Blink and ChargePoint. Some EvGo are even putting Tesla plugs at some of the newer sites

On my very first EV road trip, a ChargePoint station with two DCFC (both not working) also had two J1772 that were working... 3 hours of charging vs 30 min, but it kept the trip from being a disaster. EA stations have a minimum of 4 DCFC plugs, so I guess they don't feel the need for J1772 backup.

Keith

Some of the highest power EA stations are listed as 320 KW, others are labeled as 350 KW Is that a labeling convention difference or a real difference with some rated for 800V at 400 amps (320 KW) and others rated at 1000V at 350 amps (350 KW)?

I wish manufacturers of CCS chargers would just list max amp and voltage available. Very frustrating in the Bolt to pull in to a 50 KW station to discover it is rated at 500V at 100 amps.... gives around 37 KW on a 400V system like the Bolt has. Other 50 KW CCS are actually 400V at 125 amps, this provides 45 KW to a Bolt.
The new generation of chargers like the typical ones at Electrify America all have a peak voltage output of at least 920V and some are 1000V. The “150kW” chargers are rated at 350A peak amperage and the “350 kW” are rated at 500A peak amperage.

You might think that means that a “150 kW” could thus output say 800V at 350A which is 280 kW but they really would be limited to around 150 kW (800V at 187A) because of other internal circuitry limitations. A car pulling 400V would be limited to 350A and thus only get 140 kW. The “150 kW” Electrify America chargers made by ABB are actually rated for 175 kW at 350A peak.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I've not seen an EA L2 but the other providers often have both, particularly Blink and ChargePoint. Some EvGo are even putting Tesla plugs at some of the newer sites
Electrify America has 2 categories of charging sites.

The highway chargers have 4 to 10 DC chargers (two 350 kW chargers and the rest 150 kW) and no AC connectors.

The metro charging sites have 3 to 6 DC chargers usually at 150 kW (although a few older sites have 50 kW chargers) and at least one AC connector.

Over time, some sites may have even more charging stalls.

Reactions: GSP and cwerdna
So it sounds like to really take advantage of the EA network, you'd want the CCS adapter. Otherwise, using the J1772 adapter, you'd be limited to pretty slow charging (I think something like 19kW). Was just curious because we have a timeshare on Cape Cod, and there are only 4 SC locations on the Cape and getting to them in the summer could be difficult due to traffic - and I suspect they will be busy. Although the closest one is only about 10 minutes from our timeshare, which is what I plan to use.

So it sounds like to really take advantage of the EA network, you'd want the CCS adapter. Otherwise, using the J1772 adapter, you'd be limited to pretty slow charging (I think something like 19kW). Was just curious because we have a timeshare on Cape Cod, and there are only 4 SC locations on the Cape and getting to them in the summer could be difficult due to traffic - and I suspect they will be busy. Although the closest one is only about 10 minutes from our timeshare, which is what I plan to use.
Highest power J1772 I have heard of is 48 amp 240V (11.5 KW) and that matches the fastest L2 speed of the MY LR and MY P, the MY SR+ maxes out at 32 amps, (7.8 KW)

Keith

We? My 2015 S85D is not. It Accepts 80 A, which provides 19.2 kW at 240 V.

However, there is no pressing need for more than 48 A AC charging. There are only a few edge cases where it helps.

Keith <---- looks up to see what section of the forum he is in.

Keith <---- verifies that it says "Model Y"

Keith <---- replies "WE"

Keith

Insideevs has an article on charging a Tesla with a CCS station. Below is a chart from it. You can find it by searching for Tesla charging at a CCS station.
1627678785128.png

Hey smart people... why did CCS become the standard anyway? What are the advantages of it? A big disadvantage is it is larger in size to the Tesla connector. It appears the Tesla connector should have become the standard.
I realize it's a year late (almost to the day), and @cwerdna mostly answered this already, but keep in mind you are looking at this with (a) the benefit of hindsight and (b) without taking into account the competitive aspects of the EV market. I just discovered this thread and thought I would weigh in on a few other aspects to this question, which are important.

Zoom back to 2010 before the Model S and the Tesla connector even existed (at least in production form). The CHAdeMO connector was the de facto DC fast charge connector as it was the only one on a production vehicle (the Nissan LEAF and Mitsubishi i-MiEV). Unlike Tesla, that as we know will not hesitate to engineer their own solution, usually at great expense, to wind up with a technically better solution, traditional automakers typically buy solutions from suppliers and assemble them into their vehicles. Thus the CHAdeMO connector was a "bolt on" solution which was a second charge connector. This wasn't a huge deal with the LEAF with its charge ports located in the front of the car where there is plenty of room and size is not a huge concern.

Obviously as Tesla designed the Model S, they figured (correctly) they could do better and created a more elegant connector that could multiplex both AC and DC charging on the same power pins, something that I'm sure wasn't cheap at the time, but when you are selling your vehicles for 3X the price of the other EVs on the market at that time, the additional cost of the wiring and electronics behind the connector weren't a huge deal.

Once the LEAF started selling in "huge" (at least in the context of EV sales numbers at the time) numbers, and without any products of their own being released in the near term to compete with Nissan, the rest of the European and North American automakers needed some way to thwart Nissan's advantage. Thus, CCS was born. It was defined as a standard well before any cars that could accept it were released. As cwerdna speculated, and which I believe is 100% truth, their primary goal at the time was not to create a better charging standard, but to inject confusion into the system by introducing a competitor to CHAdeMO. And you can be sure it worked! Other than Nissan dealers and some early adopter entities (mainly in CA, OR and WA in the US, as well as outlets in Europe), many entities that were considering building out charging networks decided they needed to wait and see what happened with the so-called charging connector war. Mission accomplished! Nobody (especially in the US) wanted to install a CHAdeMO charging station they feared would be obsolete if most of the auto industry was not going to support it. So they just bided their time and waited for the CCS standard to be completed and the first cars (several years later) to support it become available. That maneuver set charging networks in the US back probably 2-3 years, and as designed, gave the other automakers a chance to catch up.

You could argue that they could have simply chosen the Tesla connector. But two things:

First, their goal was not to create a compelling connector. It was to inject confusion and doubt into the system and delay the actual standard for as long as possible. Using an existing connector would not have bought them any time. And keep in mind that the Tesla connector was proprietary anyway (technically CHAdeMO was as well, but it was controlled by a consortium rather than a single automaker). Plus, I think that Tesla would have (and does still) preferred to keep control over the connector so they could rapidly enhance it, versus having to go through a rigorous standards approval process that would slow down innovation.

Second, and more importantly, Tesla was not really on automakers' minds in 2011 when the CCS standard was being developed. It's not like they were unheard of, but most figured the company would probably wither and die, or at best become a niche player. You would have been laughed out of the room to suggest that the Tesla connector be adopted as an alternative charging standard. In fact, I think it's only been since about late 2019 that the auto industry has finally come to accept that Tesla is a real player, much less a decade ago!

Hopefully this adds some historical perspective to the evolution of the various connectors. While it's certainly clear to us in 2021 that Tesla provides the most elegant solution, that certainly was not obvious in 2011 when the CCS standard was being developed.