Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla making HUGE mistake with Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been reading all the praise/positive comments about Tesla “finally” opening up their Supercharging network to other EVs. Outside of the additional revenue to them, I don’t see how this is a “win” for the Tesla owner?

Didn’t we pay a premium to have access to the network? Won’t this just add lines/crowds to chargers? Worries about not having an available stall then you need it?

Seems like a win for non-Tesla owners.

Reactions: Genie and RSpanner
Most people promoting it are probably also stock holders so it would be a win for them as Tesla becomes more valuable. I've never had a busy supercharger in my area (I know this is not the case in CA) so it really wouldn't impact me even if 50% of stalls were opened to CCS vehicles. But, I think the general idea is that Tesla will make more money from it and be able to substantially expand their charging network even further to account for extra volume.

I wrote about this over a year ago, and was absolutely BLASTED by all the Musk fan boys who salivate over his every genius move. I think the true colors of Musk are in plain view for everyone to see with his Twitter disaster.

The OP is absolutely correct. The ONLY reason I paid all that extra money for a Tesla over the competition was the Supercharger network, and the peace of mind that would bring on long trips.

If the network becomes available to everyone, my next car certainly won't be a 70K Tesla with Yugo build quality. Hyundai, here I come.

1DF149F8-5B24-4ADD-872C-E7935E870CCC.jpeg
yup. This is northern CA… don’t need more cars charging here lol 😜

If they charged a $5k-10k access fee for non Tesla EVs to be able to use it I bet many would buy it. The terrible charging options available to Rivian and other premium EVs being delivered is a massive downside of all those non Tesla EVs.

Big threads on this in the charging forum, it’s been discussed for months. There are two main points of view:

1) I bought a Tesla and that should come with special treatment and why would I want a plebe in a Volkswagen clogging up my charging spot I’m special and you’re not and it’s ridiculous to think that I should share my charging spots with the plebes.

2) The sooner we get rid of walled garden charging infrastructure and settle on open and interoperable standards the better off we ALL are.

I’m an option 2 guy personally, but lots and lots of people can’t see the big picture.

Big threads on this in the charging forum, it’s been discussed for months. There are two main points of view:

1) I bought a Tesla and that should come with special treatment and why would I want a plebe in a Volkswagen clogging up my charging spot I’m special and you’re not and it’s ridiculous to think that I should share my charging spots with the plebes.

2) The sooner we get rid of walled garden charging infrastructure and settle on open and interoperable standards the better off we ALL are.

I’m an option 2 guy personally, but lots and lots of people can’t see the big picture.
I'd like to see great charging options to all EVs ASAP.

But I don't agree with your #1 point. Maybe some people are this way, but it's not only these two extremes.

Tesla have been worth a huge premium because of the supercharging network. Many of us wouldn't have bought the vehicles without it. Tesla was happy to accept those billions in sales. If now they make superchargering more crowded and less available to current Tesla owners that's really screwing those people who forked over these huge premiums.

Now we don't know this will actually happen. It appears Tesla has allowed other brands in Europe fine. If Tesla is able to roll this out slowly, and do it in a way that adds many more supercharger it could actually benefit current Tesla owners.

But will that happen? It perfectly reasonable to be concerned and skeptical that this will help current Tesla owners.

My take is that they are looking at this on a grand scale. The Superchargers appear to have good ROI. It's got some heavy initial capital costs, but are pretty low maintenance after that. But to minimize the initial cost it will require taking advantage of government incentives which I believe require being able to charge more than one manufacturer's cars. So they need to open it up. But to make it most effective, it would help to have everyone use their connector, hence opening up the NACS connector. But to get the other OEs to adopt the NACS at this point, they would need to aggressively expand the network to the point that owners of other EVs are going to want the NACS ports built in to reduce the hassle. It would end up being a sort of hostile takeover. I don't see a lot of downside to this from Tesla's perspective. They grow their network leaving to a better supercharging network for their own vehicles which certainly can't hurt car sales and would increase availability and flexibility. They would make more money off the charging stations. And they won't have to adopt the J1772/CCS standard if they allow it to saturate the market as other OEs start to catch up. This tends to be just the type of aggressiveness Musk would employ. That CharIN essentially rejected NACS probably only fans the flames. The worst case outcome is likely that they still have a dominant charging network and source of revenue and they either sell a bunch of NACS to CCS adapters or they convert to CCS.

On a side note, I do wonder how they intend to deal with the various charge port locations of other OEs. Every time I back up to a supercharger, I always contemplate if I got close enough. There just isn't a whole lot of cable...

Been reading all the praise/positive comments about Tesla “finally” opening up their Supercharging network to other EVs. Outside of the additional revenue to them, I don’t see how this is a “win” for the Tesla owner?
This really should just be merged into the existing 11 page thread of this exact complaint:

I'm not saying it's not a valid complaint, but we really don't need yet another new separate thread on it.

Isn’t Tesla “opening up” their network to get some of the BILLIONS of dollars being handed out to build EV charging stations. I don’t believe the folks who wrote the bill stipulated exactly how many stall’s or locations they need open. So Elon could grant access to historically low usage sites to meet the legal requirement annd intent of the bill and get some of the Biden Bucks to build more Super Chargers.

The devil is in the details of that bill. Could be a genius move by Elon.

Reactions: moa999
I always assumed they would charge non Teslas more? Seems like a bad biz model to screw their own customers when literally going forward their SC network is the only real moat. Can’t imagine the loss of goodwill from loyal customers could be overcome by charging revenue

Elon has always said moats are lame. That it's lame for a company to construct moats around them to ward off competition.

The kind of "moat" that Elon can stand behind is that of offering superior value. Tesla has a very real technological lead and, probably more significant, a substantial advantage in terms of efficiency of manufacture. They can make higher quality cars for less money than legacy auto can. That's why they have nearly 30% profit margins while most legacy auto makers struggle to get 10% margins on ICE cars and to break even on EV's. That is Tesla's moat, the pricing power those high margins allow. If Tesla ever has trouble selling every car they produce, they can simply lower the price so they only have 20% margins. Or, lower prices further so they only have 10% margins like most legacy automakers get for ICE cars, Tesla can make up the difference on the high volumes those kinds of margins would allow. But Tesla has to continue expanding production before they can utilize that pricing power to increase their sales volume. Efficiency matters more than legacy auto knows.

We have been hearing about how "the competition is coming" since 2018 (and even before) but it still hasn't come. The competition is still ICE cars because legacy manufacturers are selling EV's at below cost just to get the Emissions Credits from them. That's not competition because they lose money on every EV they sell. It's not sustainable even at the low volumes they sell EV's at now. What kind of competition is that? Legacy auto is fat and lazy and they waste your money every time you buy their over-priced wares. They even force you to pay for expensive Superbowl ads and glossy color ads in magazines when you buy their products. They have corporate structures loaded with highly paid managers and executives twiddling their thumbs and having excessive meetings and basically doing little of value. Yet you have to pay for all that inefficiency every time you buy their overpriced junk. Their EV's are not real competition because they can't move high volumes, even when priced at a loss!

And if you think all of that is eye-opening, just realize that Tesla is not done learning new ways to make better cars for less. The gap is widening, not falling. Tesla doesn't need an exclusive Supercharger Network to compete with fat, lazy automakers who couldn't innovate themselves out of a cardboard box. They are pitiful at competing with Tesla and the release of Cybertruck next year will make that even more clear. Tesla was supposed to be bankrupt by 2020 because multiple manufacturers were coming out with superior EV's, but here we are in 2022 and we have seen the EV "competition" and it's no competition at all.

Opening the Supercharger Network to other brands is not bad for Tesla owners, it's actually a huge boon. Because the increased volume of charging customers will allow Tesla to not only install more stalls than they otherwise would have to install to keep up with the growing size of the Tesla fleet, but they will also install Superchargers in increasingly rural locations which will expand the charging opportunities for all Tesla owners as well. That is the power of an ever-increasing fleet size. I say, welcome the Ford's, GM's, Nissan's, VW's Kia's and the rest with open arms! The more the merrier. I've never had to wait for a Supercharger but I have wished they had even more numerous locations in rural areas. Those more rural stations will now pencil out sooner with an expanding fleet of fast charging customers.

The party is just getting going. Come one, come all!

I think people also forget the other massive benefits that come from government funding. Firstly more new sites, and secondly it suddenly becomes much easier to deal with other government authorities (like electrical authorities or even other federal/state/local owned land)

See for example NSW, Australia where Tesla has won funding (part subsidies) which will almost triple the number of superchargers in the state over the next two years.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I guess the question is, is it more important that Tesla succeeds or that EVs succeed?
I love my Teslas, but I don’t really want it to be the only EV brand out there a few years… Ultimately that would make Tesla just a niche player.
Now that Elon Musk is spending all of his time at Twitter instead of at Tesla, it is much more important that EV's succeed.

Someone said that this opening up of the Superchargers to other makes would happen by the end of this year.

I guess in 2 weeks we will see how this all works out right ? :rolleyes: