Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla market share of BEVs in NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another fun fact…

Prior to September 2011, the number of hydrogen fuel cell EVs (HFCEV) registered on NSW roads was actually higher than the number of battery EVs (BEV) registered.

HFCEVs peaked at 184 in the December quarter of 2010.

Since then, HFCEV numbers have declined, to a low of 43 in May last year. At the end of Feb there were 57.

In comparison, BEV numbers have increased 298 times. Not percent. Times!

Maybe Toyota could include that stat in their next TV ad for the Mirai? 😄

I raised with RMS the issue that in the NSW registration dashboard, when filtering just on BEVs, that BYD, Polestar and others are not listed in the manufacturer breakdown. It shows Tesla as #1 and “others” as #2. Next is MG then Hyundai.

They got back to me, thanked me for drawing this to their attention, and said “we have raised this matter for the appropriate teams to remediate”.

Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

Reactions: Hairyman and B3AU
Maybe there is a minimum number required before they are off the "other" list ?

No, because the list goes all the way down to Smart with 10 battery EVs registered in NSW, presumably directly imported from China. There’s even 26 Mazda MX-30s registered in NSW, apparently 🤣.

There are thousands of BYDs registered in NSW, and hundreds if not thousands of Polestars, but they are not separately listed. That is clearly a mistake. The RMS has admitted as much, and has said they will fix it.

Reactions: Quickst
OK, I’m not going to keep updating this every month 😄 but the March figures came out on Wednesday and given the recent talk of BEV sales “collapsing” it’s worth noting that NSW added another 3413 BEVs in March to bring the total to 58,866 BEVs. The second highest month on record and only 17 fewer than in February.

2352 of these were Teslas, bringing the Tesla total to 33,810. So NSW has a bit over one-third of the 100k Teslas in Australia that they announced recently.

0.944% of the entire NSW vehicle fleet (including heavy vehicles) is now BEV. Getting close to the 1% threshold!

So NSW has a bit over one-third of the 100k Teslas in Australia that they announced recently.
Was surprised that the UK has only just hit 200k
Whereas they have over 2.5 times our population. I thought the UK was much further ahead, then you see that Tesla has a much smaller percentage of the market in the UK with around 1,000,000 total EVs. I just just showing how we miss out on the variety and volume of thay variety of EVs.

I thought the UK was much further ahead, then you see that Tesla has a much smaller percentage of the market in the UK with around 1,000,000 total EVs. I just just showing how we miss out on the variety and volume of thay variety of EVs.

Yep - I was talking about this to a colleague from the UK last year. He noted how many Teslas he saw here compared to the UK. It’s the result of a number of things: more competition in the BEV space in Europe, different vehicle tastes, practicality, the fact that people don’t drive as long distances there as often as people do here (hence range is king here not so much there), and a bit of brand loyalty/familiarity.

In Europe and the UK, Model S/X were considered absolutely massive vehicles and not popular as a result. 3/Y are still considered to be fairly big. Also, hatchbacks reign supreme in Europe and many other manufacturers came out with BEV hatchbacks before Model Y was released there.

Last I looked, Tesla has about 15% BEV market share in Europe, compared to nearly 60% here.

Not NSW but cannot find anywhere else to place it- - from RACQ Club News received today.

Article quotes - "according to peak industry body the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries .......

".........Sales of electrified vehicles in March made up 23.5% of the total market, with battery electric vehicles accounting for 9.5% of sales, up from 6.8% in March 2023."

Hybrid and plug-in hybrid sales also increased, recording a 14% share compared with 6% in March 2023.

Hardly seems like a slowdown in sales or growth of sales.

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok