Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3, another charger recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to get another charger installed at my Mum's house for when i visit - I currently have the official Tesla charger at home.
I would like to get a different charger for my Mum's so i can use the grant

Can anyone give some advise on charger good/bad etc etc

Also looking at a cable to store in the car so i can use supermarket free supermarket chargers - once again advice on the good/bad. - so far looking at Rolec.

M3D

Thanks

In my experience, the grant won't result in a lower cost of installation (just fill the pockets of the installers) but will force you to have a smart charger - which will only cause grief. My advice - find a good local sparky and fit a dumb charger.

Or even a 32A commando socket. Dumb as a box of rocks and works perfectly for me. I bought a separate cable so I could keep the Tesla supplied cable in the car.

I want to get another charger installed at my Mum's house for when i visit - I currently have the official Tesla charger at home.

Also looking at a cable to store in the car so i can use supermarket free supermarket chargers - once again advice on the good/bad. - so far looking at Rolec.

M3D

Thanks

Have been very happy with my Pod point.

I have a Rolec and based on my experience and what I have read hear they seem pretty reliable. at least as good as any other choice...... so long as you use it dumb. jury is still out on the reliability of the smart features but Rolec is not alone in this.
I think you will get an advantage using the grant but it will certainly not be £500 worth there is definitely some gouging going on.
I recommend downloading the installers list and finding a small local electrician who is registered then negotiate a good price based on knowing what the units actually cost (google) and how many hours it will take to install
Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme authorised installers
Some of these installations seem to equate to about £300 per hour based on what people are being charged for "standard installation" from the big players but then sometimes they are coming from miles away

In my experience, the grant won't result in a lower cost of installation (just fill the pockets of the installers) but will force you to have a smart charger - which will only cause grief. My advice - find a good local sparky and fit a dumb charger.

I suspect much the same, but it would be interesting if we could compare actual installation costs to see what the difference is.

I paid £380 for install and the Rolec point. So definitely a saving!

Was that including the OLEV grant?

If so, then that puts the total cost at £880. The Rolec smart charge point is around £450, IIRC, so that means installation came to about £430.

Labour around here is maybe £220/day for a very good electrician and a typical install might use around £100 to £120 worth of cable, a small enclosure, RCBO, and other bits and bobs. It's rare for an install to take as long as a whole day, a straightforward one, with surface mounted cable, no obstructions, etc, is around 4 to 5 hours work at most.

I've seen one done in two hours, including testing, but that was a <3m cable run with the CU and meter in the garage, with the charge point fitted on the wall next to the garage door, with an isolator already on the meter and a pair of Henlys on the board with spare ways, so the exception, rather than the rule. That installation cost the chap £185, plus the charge point cost, but the electrician doing the work did have another job booked for the same day. Out of that there would have been about £10 for the cable, plus maybe another £30 for the RCBO and enclosure, and maybe another fiver or so for odds and sods.

Out of interest, how long are people finding that installers are taking on average?

Reactions: Roy W.
My Rolec cost me just under £500 (so just under £1000 with the grant). It took the guy a good 4-5 hours (I don't remember exactly), which included lifting floorboards. There is 100% abuse of the grant going on, but I suspect we the public are still benefiting at least partially, to the tune of £200-£250, which is better than a poke in the eye, but not as nice as the full £500.

Double check that the installation at your Mum's house is going to be eligible for the OLEV grant: my understanding is that it's for the purchasers of new EVs for installation at their own residence/home/property. As your Mum's not buying the EV nor is it your house you may not be able to get the grant

I suppose how much effort and cash you put in depends how often you'll be charging there but if you want something on the cheap then get a commando socket, as @Artiste suggested, and maybe a spare UMC and wall bracket off fleabay (or the "For Sale/Wanted" sticky thread) you can leave behind.

Reactions: nightowl
Double check that the installation at your Mum's house is going to be eligible for the OLEV grant: my understanding is that it's for the purchasers of new EVs for installation at their own residence/home/property. As your Mum's not buying the EV nor is it your house you may not be able to get the grant

Specific point from the terms on the OLEV grant form:
"The address specified in Part A is a residential address and is owned or rented by me."
(Address in Part A is labelled "installation address")

I've just been quoted £988 for a Zappi 2 - £688 for the unit, £120 for electrical materials and £180 for installation (all exc VAT), so after the VAT and the OLEV and EST grants that'll be £285 to me. Waiting on other quotes before deciding.

I've just been quoted £988 for a Zappi 2 - £688 for the unit, £120 for electrical materials and £180 for installation (all exc VAT), so after the VAT and the OLEV and EST grants that'll be £285 to me. Waiting on other quotes before deciding.

That's actually a fairly realistic price for the work involved, significantly better than some other companies are charging.

M3D

Thanks
Well I use a Wallbox which I am happy with. I got it through Scottish Power and it cost me £350 installed. It is 7kW and charges at around 30 miles an hour. As my Model 3 is a company car, I like that it tells me how much power I consume so I can claim it back from the Company. It is pretty small and sits on the wall next to the garage door and I can set a timer and control it via Bluetooth or WiFi from my phone

Just received a second quote, this time for the EO Mini Pro tethered at £995 after the OLEV grant and the labour is £360 ... just shows what a difference there can be!

• Informative
Reactions: Glan gluaisne