Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 First Drive Reviews

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compromises are: Speed of refueling and number of charging stations. And both of those are handicaps only when road-tripping. On everyday use this is a plus as your refueling speed is technically 30 seconds in your garage.

Neutral: If you have a 300+ mile EV then range is not a handicap.

Positives: Everything else is a plus+
Another compromise - losing 5-20 miles of range per night while parked and powered down. That kind of energy waste doesn't happen with a gas car. You don't find your self worrying about leaving it at an airport during a long trip.

Picked up #17xxx in Kansas City yesterday. All I can say is: If you are waiting on dual motors because you want more performance, DON’T!
Stop everything you are doing and configure now! I’m a car guy and have owned or driven about every muscle car there is, Including a Dodge Hellcat and Tesla P90D. The only reason the M3 isn’t quicker than it is, is because it’s currently rear wheel drive , and appears it’s software limited to keep the tires from shredding themselves into a hot, lump of sticky goo. If you are an investor, buy more TSLA, but don’t overlook the tire companies, because this thing is going to go through rear tires like Wimpy eats burgers!

Ok, I just picked up my car Monday. At this point I have 840 miles on it (I commute 150 miles per day minimum to visit clients).

My other cars;

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid
2014 Ford Fusion AWD (my wife's car)
2017 Honda Civic SI

All I can say to start is, compared to the Model 3, all our other cars are terrible..... I absolutely love (loved?) the fun little SI. But, after driving the 3, the SI is a turd stuck in the stone-age! I mean that literally! I really cannot articulate adequately how well the 3 drives in every way. It is extremely powerful, very well planted, smooth, obviously high-tech, and overall very well balanced. Are there issues? Sure. I can list a number of them. But, the overarching trait of this car is, every time you drive it, you have stepped into the future.

Matt

#1 About 25% of the time my phone will not pair with the car. It will work as the key, but I sometimes have to manually command it to connect to make phone calls.

#2 The new car small is really strong, too strong..... Must be the vegan leather?

#3 my steering wheel is not centered (a simple warrantee service will fix that).

#4 the A pillar interior covers are warped where they meet the windshield.

There are others, but that gives you an idea of the issues.

Oh, all the panel gaps are wonderfully consistant.

Matt

Reactions: 03DSG
> Isn't it more like 3 to 5 miles per night? [daniel]

That is my experience with the Sedan, too, so when I had to store the SparkEV for 4 months I was concerned, but there was no way to plug it in (shrug). Turns out the SparkEV emerged with the same '91 miles' that it had when parked. And many nights it dropped below zero (F). Bizarre from a Tesla point of view.
--

[my comment in Edmunds article]

BS review. I have not had even one of the issues that are mentioned here. Not one. And my Vin is 13k.

And I call this review BS because the efficiency they see is 330 wh/mile. That is ridiculous and no where the kind of consumption what I am seeing and in fact every one of the owners in youtube reviews or on Teslamotorsclub forum. I am hard pressed to to go even more than 250 wh/mile and my average is around 235 wh/mile - going with the traffic at 70+ and AC on. I can easily go 330 miles just keeping up with traffic and AC on. That is an amazing amount of range.

Why is it reviews from regular users are mostly stellar and superlative while "automotive experts' come up with all these negative observations? Not saying this particular car did not have any issues, but the point is one car that a reviewer might have had some problems is not reflection of the overall quality of the product.

I have seen and read over a 100 reviews on the internet by regular users. Most of them are gushing about this car. I care about those reviews than paid automotive experts, which mostly I find highly biased

Last edited: