Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we think Aussie Model 3s will be built in batches like in the US? Or due to being a much smaller market they'll be custom made?
With the model S, we get the same car as the UK anyway. RHD to European standards. A few oddities, like you think one of your reversing lights is broken but in fact it only has one, the other light is a rear foglight. I expect that there will be quite a large run of RHD Model 3s as a batch at first, most people will be catered to off of cars already in production. After you pick a model yours options that impact production are only wheels and colours, so there really isn't much "custom" about a Tesla these days (very different story a few years ago).

For real? I didn't know about this, or even if it was legal.

Well, I haven't been pulled over for it! But yeh, first time I reversed it with the Mrs watching she freaked, but after checking with Tesla that was the story, and I confirmed that turning the rear fog light does light up the other light. That said, this is on the S, no saying the 3 will be the same.

Well, I haven't been pulled over for it! But yeh, first time I reversed it with the Mrs watching she freaked, but after checking with Tesla that was the story, and I confirmed that turning the rear fog light does light up the other light. That said, this is on the S, no saying the 3 will be the same.

That is normal, you only need 1 reverse light and 1 fog light. 2 Fog lights would be less safe as it can be confused with brake lights. So you'd sort of end up with some asymetric appearance if you'd have 1 random fog light attached somewhere. A lot of manufacturers get around this by just having 1 reverse light.

Given that most americans cannot be trusted with fog lights american cars always have 2 reverse lights where the 2nd reverse light takes the place of the foglight in the european speced version.

Do the supercharger credits go both ways for referral code? Like does the referrer and the referree both receive the supercharger credits?
yep its 7500 each until the end of May, so make sure you use a code.

Also, everyone should note Model 3 owners will likely need to follow this process to use a code: Breaking: Tesla Allows Use Of Referral Codes On European Model 3 Orders, But With A Twist | CleanTechnica but model 3s are eligible for the referral program.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Tension
That is normal, you only need 1 reverse light and 1 fog light. 2 Fog lights would be less safe as it can be confused with brake lights. So you'd sort of end up with some asymetric appearance if you'd have 1 random fog light attached somewhere. A lot of manufacturers get around this by just having 1 reverse light.

Given that most americans cannot be trusted with fog lights american cars always have 2 reverse lights where the 2nd reverse light takes the place of the foglight in the european speced version.
My Mrs is a USA citizen, so it might explain her freak out ;)

Not too sure about that.
Two fog lights are safer since they aid with depth perception.
By the way, Australian Model Xs have two fog lights and two reversing lights (unlike Australian Model Ss).

Not too sure about that.
Two fog lights are safer since they aid with depth perception.
By the way, Australian Model Xs have two fog lights and two reversing lights (unlike Australian Model Ss).

ehm i dont know if you have ever driven in dense fog but there is no depth perception as the light is very diffuse. If you have depth perception then there is no role for foglights as they will dazzle people.

If you have 2 fog lights and someone comes around the corner those can be mistaken as brake lights whereas if you just have 2 very faint rear lights (or none as they may not be visible) with 1 brighter light you know it is a fog light. The colour isn't necessary that reliable.

Last edited: