Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled this from a good reddit post analysing UK price of SR+

$39,500 Base Price + $1569 Transport & Logistics (T&L) = $41,069 Taxable Price
$41,069 = £31,477
£31,477 +10% Import Duty = £34,625
£34,625 +20% VAT = £41,550
£41,550 -£3500 Plug In Grant = £38,050
And that's where the price comes from.

If we can estimate the transport and logistics cost on X and S for us, and apply it to 3 as an approximation, then we can get to a better Aus estimate.

SR+
US price $39500 (convert to AUD) $56438
+T&L $4000 (guesstimate )
= Australian base price $60438
+Documentation fee $1200
+GST 6164
= $67801 AUD

State charges
+ Stamp Duty + Rego

Using above analysis
LR US$49500 = AUD83507+ small LCT + stamp duty + rego
LRP definitely over $100k

So Vostok and I are in same ballpark here. This is base price estimates - includes autopilot in base now.

A $70k car doesn’t quite equate to an electric car for the masses....IMHO.
I agree. I have been hoping for the SR+ to start from closer to 60k mark and hoping for a LR RWD to start around 70k (if it was made available for us). We don't know the actual prices (or available configuration options) until they open the configurator for us, but one can still hope...

I agree. I have been hoping for the SR+ to start from closer to 60k mark and hoping for a LR RWD to start around 70k (if it was made available for us). We don't know the actual prices (or available configuration options) until they open the configurator for us, but one can still hope...

it will do. and then you add 10% import tax and 10% VAT and 2% stamp duty on there and boom you are at 86k

it will do. and then you add 10% import tax and 10% VAT and 2% stamp duty on there and boom you are at 86k
What I was hoping was say 63k for SR+ on road with all taxes and fees included and then 73-74k with all included on road for LR RWD. Bringing that in just under the LCT. Though I know that is just wishful thinking and the actual prices may be somewhat higher.

I pulled this from a good reddit post analysing UK price of SR+

$39,500 Base Price + $1569 Transport & Logistics (T&L) = $41,069 Taxable Price
$41,069 = £31,477
£31,477 +10% Import Duty = £34,625
£34,625 +20% VAT = £41,550
£41,550 -£3500 Plug In Grant = £38,050
And that's where the price comes from.

If we can estimate the transport and logistics cost on X and S for us, and apply it to 3 as an approximation, then we can get to a better Aus estimate.

SR+
US price $39500 (convert to AUD) $56438
+T&L $4000 (guesstimate )
= Australian base price $60438
+Documentation fee $1200
+GST 6164
= $67801 AUD

State charges
+ Stamp Duty + Rego

Using above analysis
LR US$49500 = AUD83507+ small LCT + stamp duty + rego
LRP definitely over $100k

So Vostok and I are in same ballpark here. This is base price estimates - includes autopilot in base now.
I can guarantee, having worked for a decent sized company that imported all of its goods, there is a ‘safety margin’ used for exchange rate pricing calculations
Tesla would probably be using a USD0.65 exchange rate
And the exchange rate will continue to get worse, because the Reserve Bank will drop interest rates repeatedly to keep the housing bubble artificially inflated, which means a poorer exchange rate

Additionally, I suggest you all hold off buying the M3 until the change of government
Labor have been sending plenty of signals about EV subsidies, but cannot announce them specifically, lest the automotive market crashes also (like the housing market is)
Yeah, hopefully we'll get some nice EV Incentives one day. If we had the $7500 (Au$10,000) Tax Credits that they had in the US, everyone who's on the fence about being able to afford one here would take one.

If Labor gets in, EV Credits could still take a while. But by 2020 we could have the Model 3 production in China. And that's expected by Elon to be at least 50% cheaper per unit. So we'll have some very affordable cars, for those that are willing to wait another year or two.
I'd much rather have one now, but prices keep dropping, so it depends on how long people want to wait.

Additionally, I suggest you all hold off buying the M3 until the change of government
Labor have been sending plenty of signals about EV subsidies, but cannot announce them specifically, lest the automotive market crashes also (like the housing market is)

So far they've just announced the 20% immediate depreciation for company fleet purchases. On a $70k purchase and the company tax rate this equates to a benefit of over $4,000. However the rules for accessing this haven't been clearly defined. It may be possible for individuals say with a small business ABN to take advantage of it but we'll have to wait and see.

Incentives are likely to be for business related purchased of an electric vehicle plus the provision for DC charging infrastructure on any Federally funded major road construction.

From my personal view encouraging the roll out of charging infrastructure will be a far better and widespread method of increasing electric vehicle numbers rather than providing individual subsidies on the purchase price of vehicles, basically an EV will be cheaper than an ICE by 2022 regardless.

I could be wrong but it it appears that when a change of cost appears, it is usually because of a material change in the exchange rate. That new cost equates to around what it is at the time, and appears not to have a margin of error. From there it could go either way for a while, but once you put the order in, that's the price you pay.

If Labor gets in, EV Credits could still take a while.

I doubt that there will be any EV credits in the new term of government. I haven't heard any promises for that, and once a political party gets in, they are usually pushing it up a hill to keep all the promises they have already made. As for China, Elon has said (somewhere) that Chinese production is for China only. It may reduce prices overall (economies of scale) but there is enough demand in China, I would think, to keep the GF3 pumping out cars for the domestic market for quite a while.

And even though you can't just convert to GBP to AUD like Vostok mentioned, it lists the Cash Price and mentions that it includes VAT of approx. £6,483.

So I had deducted that already in my calculation, and added the £3500 Plug-in Car Grant back on to get the actual price.

It didn't mention 10% Import Duty, but if that's the case it's the same as our 10% GST.
That means we'd be at Au$67,973 for SR+ incl QLD Stamp Duty. Compared to Au$67,079 on the Google Docs Calculator (just changed Stamp Duty to reflect QLD). That's pretty close to the expected price.

But I'm not sure I can stretch to what is almost a $70k car, if SR is not available off-menu. After just building a house and getting Solar/Powerwall (once they can actually deliver it), that's tough.
I can understand some I'm the UK being angry, that's quite a bit more money over there because of their taxes.
No rush to buy, Teslas have tended to get cheaper over time, and features get added.
Don't forget you will save on petrol and servicing though.
My S75D has ended up costing my very little more than the diesel SUV it replaced, and has been a lot more convenient (especially the servicing part).

Reactions: tom_kauf
I can guarantee, having worked for a decent sized company that imported all of its goods, there is a ‘safety margin’ used for exchange rate pricing calculations
And the exchange rate will continue to get worse, because the Reserve Bank will drop interest rates repeatedly to keep the housing bubble artificially inflated, which means a poorer exchange rate
US Fed also weakening on rates though, so probably no change in AUD/USD. Tesla might go 0.70, especially given how quickly they can adjust their pricing.

Additionally, I suggest you all hold off buying the M3 until the change of government. Labor have been sending plenty of signals about EV subsidies, but cannot announce them specifically, lest the automotive market crashes also (like the housing market is)
Any policy change, even if that is their intention, would be 1+ years away. Who is willing to wait 4+ years for a Model 3? And who knows what the exchange rate will be by then - any benefit could easily be wiped out by that.

In any event, if there are to be EV subsidies, they should absolutely be means tested. I do not agree with giving tax breaks to wealthy people, and generally neither does the ALP. We need tradies and admin workers to buy EVs - that’s what will really move the needle.

I would certainly not be eligible for any EV subsidy. And that is exactly as it should be. So no waiting by me.

Keep refreshing this thread 20 times a day and constantly checking email, awaiting news of order page being open, after over 3 years of waiting the anticipation is killing me
Anyone think they would open it up over weekend or gotta wait till next week now?

Keep refreshing this thread 20 times a day and constantly checking email, awaiting news of order page being open, after over 3 years of waiting the anticipation is killing me
Anyone think they would open it up over weekend or gotta wait till next week now?
Haha, I was noticing the same thing, this thread is blazing over the last few days. The excitement is real :)

Reactions: Dakah3