Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Performance value at CarMax - appraisal lower than expected!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By his admission he paid over 70K before tax credit plus he would have paid sales tax on that price.

So yeah, he took a bath if he sold it @59K after barely driving it.

I am pretty sure OP also said he wouldn’t be eligible for entire tax credit (maybe getting him confused with another thread) as his tax liability isn’t that much. He definitely took a substantial hit. I personally would have tried changing the wheels out but to each their own.

I am pretty sure OP also said he wouldn’t be eligible for entire tax credit (maybe getting him confused with another thread) as his tax liability isn’t that much. He definitely took a substantial hit. I personally would have tried changing the wheels out but to each their own.

Yeah I missed that part. Looks like he might have lost in excess of $10,000.

Just, wow.

Or as my grandfather used to say, play stupid games win stupid prizes.

I would have taken the $10K, done a monster vacation in New Zealand and continued driving an econobox.... but if briefly driving a mass production car is what floats your boat more power to you. Vroom vroom.

Just, wow.

I would have taken the $10K, done a monster vacation in New Zealand and continued driving an econobox.... but if briefly driving a mass production car is what floats your boat more power to you. Vroom vroom.

I personally love my model 3, as I am sure the large majority of us here do - so i can understand where the OP is coming from. I had never really been a car guy previously, this was the most I’ve spent on a car by a pretty significant margin - mainly because I didn’t care that much about the car I drive. If i am remembering correctly, OP stated they had been planning and saving for it for 4 years (?? I think he said he put 50% down??), so good for him. At that point it’s like a $35000 car loan - not that unreasonable.

That said - I don’t understand how OP gave up on it so quickly, just seems really impulsive over issues with wheels/tires - which should have been a known issue even with a small amount of research.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I personally love my model 3, as I am sure the large majority of us here do - so i can understand where the OP is coming from. I had never really been a car guy previously, this was the most I’ve spent on a car by a pretty significant margin - mainly because I didn’t care that much about the car I drive. If i am remembering correctly, OP stated they had been planning and saving for it for 4 years (?? I think he said he put 50% down??), so good for him. At that point it’s like a $35000 car loan - not that unreasonable.

That said - I don’t understand how OP gave up on it so quickly, just seems really impulsive over issues with wheels/tires - which should have been a known issue even with a small amount of research.

Well it looks like wheels/tires were only one of his problems, the other one was he wanted a car he can drive around to work and he is a painter (I assume house painter) in a trade union. Whatever vehicle he drives will probably get the tar beaten out of it not just with mileage but with all the inadvertent damage that happens in trade work. Probably won't find too many cars driven by house painters that look pristine after a few months let alone years.

Expensive, VERY expensive mistake but hopefully learned his lesson. Perhaps he will eventually pick up a much more practical dual motor version on the secondary market in a few years when those are down into the $25K-$30K range. Those come with 18" rims and all season tires.

Car still has room to run, I don't bid until the last 5 seconds.

LOL @ 15K offer.

upload_2019-2-26_11-20-24.png

Well it looks like wheels/tires were only one of his problems, the other one was he wanted a car he can drive around to work and he is a painter (I assume house painter) in a trade union. Whatever vehicle he drives will probably get the tar beaten out of it not just with mileage but with all the inadvertent damage that happens in trade work. Probably won't find too many cars driven by house painters that look pristine after a few months let alone years.

Expensive, VERY expensive mistake but hopefully learned his lesson. Perhaps he will eventually pick up a much more practical dual motor version on the secondary market in a few years when those are down into the $25K-$30K range. Those come with 18" rims and all season tires.

There's actually a lot he can do here. Convert his car into 100% business and deduct his gains against the vehicle. When I mean business, I mean legitimate business.

While it's going to be expensive to feed the beast, he will end up with a 3.5 second car in a few years when all is said and done.

If he can't EAT and do this then we have a problem.

A fun charity wager with you @voip-ninja could be interesting. I think you believe the AWD will hit 25K faster than I do. You do win if you lose. :D

Model 3 was the wrong car for you. You should have gotten the Model X if you are looking for a car for both work and play. As long as you use your car more than 50% for work, look up Section 179 or find a good accountant. With the first year deduction for business, the Model X would be cheaper than the Model 3... way cheaper.

The car will get dirty.. but hey something has got to give.

He can pretend eventually it's a bare bones 35K Model 3. A Model X is way more ostentatious than a Model 3.

It's been tough keeping up the lie to the wife that my 3 was 35K but way more believable than if I brought a new X home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pkmmte
Someone is stalking me..lol.. well I'm considering to do so because of that reason plus you going to consider I'm a union worker so my job is dirty and I starting to realize that buying this car and plus my second-hand car it's not going to work out in the long run because I'm losing so much more money driving the Tesla around depreciating it when I could just get one vehicle that does my leisure time and work time because I'm a painter in the union and obviously I'm not going to bring the Tesla to work

Model 3 was the wrong car for you. You should have gotten the Model X if you are looking for a car for both work and play. As long as you use your car more than 50% for work, look up Section 179 or find a good accountant. With the first year deduction for business, the Model X would be cheaper than the Model 3... way cheaper.

You will need to start a business and became a contracted painter or something. The car will get dirty.. but hey something has got to give.

Car still has room to run, I don't bid until the last 5 seconds.

LOL @ 15K offer.

View attachment 380765

There's actually a lot he can do here. Convert his car into 100% business and deduct his gains against the vehicle. When I mean business, I mean legitimate business.

While it's going to be expensive to feed the beast, he will end up with a 3.5 second car in a few years when all is said and done.

If he can't EAT and do this then we have a problem.

A fun charity wager with you @voip-ninja could be interesting. I think you believe the AWD will hit 25K faster than I do. You do win if you lose. :D

He can pretend eventually it's a bare bones 35K Model 3. A Model X is way more ostentatious than a Model 3.

It's been tough keeping up the lie to the wife that my 3 was 35K but way more believable than if I brought a new X home.

I don't remember what the cost is to sell a car on eBay, couple hundred bucks maybe. Then you have the monumental % of flakes on eBay that will try to find some reason to back out after they have the winning bid.... or they win the auction then poo poo all over the item when they see it in person.

I've sold hundreds of items on eBay but I kind of despise it.

Come on, clearly a used VM Vanagon would be more economical and spacious!

If you don't mind freezing and putting your life on the line. I would never drive a car with safety below a Tesla. I was recently in a very bad accident where a ride share driver ran a light and almost killed me. There is no price for safety or your life IMO.

I don't remember what the cost is to sell a car on eBay, couple hundred bucks maybe. Then you have the monumental % of flakes on eBay that will try to find some reason to back out after they have the winning bid.... or they win the auction then poo poo all over the item when they see it in person.

Sounds terrible. You may need to learn better posting habits, I have done thousands of transactions with 100% positive feedback and no returns or issues. Really depends on what you are selling and how you post it. The "what" also defines your buyer pool as well. I think ebay sucks for sellers but if you have a good reputation it can be a great too if you don't overpromise and you are clear on your postings.

Last edited:

Just, wow.

Or the saying that hind sight is 20/20 every time. Perhaps you can send him a card to rub it in his face as well. Just, wow as you say.

It's a flat fee to sell a car and not too bad ($100 is in the ballpark). But, yes, often the buyer won't follow-through on paying, or will try to negotiate the price down. The seller has little recourse in that instance. I've sold three cars and a boat on ebay. Had to deal with a deadbeat bidder for one of them, and an attempt to negotiate me down for another (which I refused).

It's a flat fee to sell a car and not too bad ($100 is in the ballpark). But, yes, often the buyer won't follow-through on paying, or will try to negotiate the price down. The seller has little recourse in that instance. I've sold three cars and a boat on ebay. Had to deal with a deadbeat bidder for one of them, and an attempt to negotiate me down for another (which I refused).

And then you have the extra time of relisting, getting your listing fee back, wasted time during which the item continues to be devalued, etc.

So you made the assumption he can't afford it. Were was that stated? Did you read the other thread on the issues? Did you finish your buying guidelines sheet yet?

Based on this thread and his others, it's pretty obvious he wasn't prepared to own the car. Trying to be a plumber from the back of a Model 3 just isn't practical, nor is paying for the car on $45k/year.

I don't really need a whole sheet for buying guidelines. If you have the cash, buy it. If not, buy the cheapest thing that will reliably get you around. Pretty simple.

If you don't mind freezing and putting your life on the line. I would never drive a car with safety below a Tesla. I was recently in a very bad accident where a ride share driver ran a light and almost killed me. There is no price for safety or your life IMO.

Tesla's are safe for their segment(s), but they're not remotely the safest vehicles overall. If safety was your primary concern, a car was not the way to go. Large SUVs maximize occupant safety. Tesla doesn't make an SUV, just the humpbacked Model S crossover (AKA Model X).

• Disagree
And you don't deal with deadbeats, no-shows, hagglers selling on craigslist or even here? There's a give and take with any avenue.

The process with a deadbeat is more drawn out on ebay because they usually have a week to get you the money. During that time you can't sell the car to anything else. Other venues are really cash-and-carry to the first person who shows up with money.

The process with a deadbeat is more drawn out on ebay because they usually have a week to get you the money. During that time you can't sell the car to anything else. Other venues are really cash-and-carry to the first person who shows up with money.

Yeah and if anything goes wrong on ebay, it can take many weeks to sort out.
But in the end ebay has been fairly good in sorting out mishaps fairly.

Based on this thread and his others, it's pretty obvious he wasn't prepared to own the car. Trying to be a plumber from the back of a Model 3 just isn't practical, nor is paying for the car on $45k/year.

I don't really need a whole sheet for buying guidelines. If you have the cash, buy it. If not, buy the cheapest thing that will reliably get you around. Pretty simple.

Tesla's are safe for their segment(s), but they're not remotely the safest vehicles overall. If safety was your primary concern, a car was not the way to go. Large SUVs maximize occupant safety. Tesla doesn't make an SUV, just the humpbacked Model S crossover (AKA Model X).

I said afford not that the car met his needs. My point all along is your financial judgements. Please show me "Large" SUVs with crash ratings as high as a Tesla. Most large SUVs perform poorly and handle terribly not to mention all their other downsides.

• Love