Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 Performance value at CarMax - appraisal lower than expected!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point right now it's still at $59,000 and I'm getting a lot more views and a lot more Watchers on the car but I still have a day left until the bed or auction ends but at this point right now a lot of people convinced me just to keep the car and just enjoy what you have of it or at least use up the supercharging that you have for free for 6 months that way you don't have to worry about paying for gas going to work and whatnot so what I've been doing for this week so far is that I just been bringing a set of clean clothes and my work clothes with me and I just change at the job so that this way my car will never get dirty something I'm not used to doing but I could get used to it

It sounds like your thinking you get to pick and choose up until the auction closes?
I hate to clue you, but once the first bid is made, you are under obligation to follow through.

It's one thing to back out of a used mobile phone (not worth anyone's time to fight over). But backing out of $60K contract (which you are now under) is pretty serious.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh
Assume it wasn’t loved or cared for if it can be let go so easily.

If someone makes a numerical claim, multiple or divide by 3 to get the real numbers.

Funny it even works when I said 35K Model 3 to wife.

Add in EAP, FSD, taxes, insurance, PPF, ceramic costing, tint, dash cam. Ouch!

The difference between me and the other people is that when I buy something I drive it to its potential I'm not one of those guys that buys a $200,000 car or whatnot and stores it in the garage 6 months throughout the year and doesn't want to take it out because he's too scared that stones or salt is going to damage the car... you know what I could care less I've basically bought this car for performance and surely I'm going to drive it to its purpose and potential.."RIDE OR DIE"

It sounds like your thinking you get to pick and choose up until the auction closes?
I hate to clue you, but once the first bid is was made, you are under obligation to follow through.

It's one thing to back out of a used mobile phone (not worth anyone's time to fight over). But backing out of $60K contract (which you are now under) is pretty serious.

There's ways around it

There's ways around it
Yes, I am judging people who, in my opinion, make poor financial choices. It saddens me that so many people have no idea how to budget, make sound financial decisions, or resist impulse purchases.

It was already mentioned, but crash test ratings are not comparable between weight classes. So, pretty much every large SUV has an advantage over your Tesla, in most crashes. As an extreme example, who do you think is safer in a head-on crash between a 1990s H1 Hummer with only front airbags and a Tesla Model 3 with the latest safety features? Given the choice, I’d ride in the Hummer.

Yes you are judging people without knowing their circumstances and then professing your silly specific guidelines as to what you think is the correct financial model. Your opinion on being responsible is one thing but your silly philosophy as to what you think is the correct approach to buying a car is arrogant and obnoxious and hypocritical. I may not agree with some people's choices but I don't start to profess some stupid guidelines on them. You sound like the religious fanatics at that knock on the door telling everyone what is the proper way to live their life.

Last edited:
Yes, I am judging people who, in my opinion, make poor financial choices. It saddens me that so many people have no idea how to budget, make sound financial decisions, or resist impulse purchases.

It was already mentioned, but crash test ratings are not comparable between weight classes. So, pretty much every large SUV has an advantage over your Tesla, in most crashes. As an extreme example, who do you think is safer in a head-on crash between a 1990s H1 Hummer with only front airbags and a Tesla Model 3 with the latest safety features? Given the choice, I’d ride in the Hummer.

Except that this makes a huge assumption that crash data research explicitly contradicts. And that assumption is of a full-on non-offset frontal crash as being the most dangerous. First of all that's not how most fatalities occur as most fatalities take place in rollovers where there are multiple impacts. And by the way the Hummer is one of the worst on that point with a very high Roll center and a high vulnerability to rollover. Secondly getting hit from the side looks like it's more lethal at any given miles per hour than being hit front on in a non-offset frontal collision. And actually it's the side impact data that's so compelling and in favor of the Tesla. Hummer, actually fares dismally in this from what I understand.

Lastly there are huge disparities from model to model in terms of the partially offset frontal Collisions, which is actually much more likely than a non-offset one. Here again the Tesla scores highly, the Hummer not so well.

So given what we know about the variety of causes for serious injuries and fatalities, the fact that you would be choosing to ride in a 1990 Hummer over a Tesla Model 3 - and that's putting aside all the enormous ways in which the Tesla is way better at active safety - even from a passive safety standpoint looks like a bad choice

Last edited:
Except that this makes a huge assumption that crash data research explicitly contradicts. And that assumption is of a full-on non-offset frontal crash as being the most dangerous. First of all that's not how most fatalities occur as most fatalities take place in rollovers where there are multiple impacts. And by the way the Hummer is one of the worst on that point with a very high Roll center and the high tendency to rollover. Secondly getting hit from the side looks like it's more lethal at any given miles per hour than being hit front on in a non-offset frontal collision. And actually it's the side impact data that's so compelling and in favor of the Tesla.

Lastly there are huge disparities from model to model in terms of the partially offset frontal Collisions, which is actually much more likely than a non-offset one. Here again the Tesla scores highly, the Hummer not so well.

So given what we know about the variety of causes for serious injuries and fatalities, the fact that you would be choosing to ride in a 1990 Hummer over a Tesla Model 3 - and that's putting aside all the enormous ways in which the Tesla is way better at active safety - even from a passive safety standpoint looks like a bad choice

As if a Hummer would even be in the decision pool for cars to drive. It's like saying a M3 or a Tank for sake of an argument, The better comparison are cars one may drive and a M3 or perhaps all EVs. Of course people like to use extreme examples to prove their points. Perhaps a Semi is a safe choice?

Reactions: dfwatt
Except that this makes a huge assumption that crash data research explicitly contradicts. And that assumption is of a full-on non-offset frontal crash as being the most dangerous. First of all that's not how most fatalities occur as most fatalities take place in rollovers where there are multiple impacts. And by the way the Hummer is one of the worst on that point with a very high Roll center and a high vulnerability to rollover. Secondly getting hit from the side looks like it's more lethal at any given miles per hour than being hit front on in a non-offset frontal collision. And actually it's the side impact data that's so compelling and in favor of the Tesla. Hummer, actually fares dismally in this from what I understand.

You can’t beat physics. In a crash, assuming you’re wearing your seatbelt and stay within the vehicle, you want to be in the heavier vehicle.

• Disagree
Reactions: dfwatt
Yes you are judging people without knowing their circumstances and then professing your silly specific guidelines as to what you think is the correct financial model. Your opinion on being responsible is one thing but your silly philosophy as to what you think is the correct approach to buying a car is arrogant and obnoxious and hypocritical. I may not agree with some people's choices but I don't start to profess some stupid guidelines on them. You sound like the religious fanatics at that knock on the door telling everyone what is the proper way to live their life.

Looks like my judgement of the OP is spot-on based on his admission that he’s just playing games with his eBay auction. Deadbeat move, but not surprising for someone foolish enough to buy the car with a $45k income.

You can’t beat physics. In a crash, assuming you’re wearing your seatbelt and stay within the vehicle, you want to be in the heavier vehicle.
Well, you can’t beat science either. In this situation, weight (really, it’s actually mass that you’re referring to) is only one physics attribute that is relevant. Velocity, place of impact (as the earlier responder mentioned), and even where you’re sitting in each car are all other inputs to the equation. Count me as someone who would rather be in a Model 3 over a 1990 Hummer. The safety design enhancements in the almost twenty years would be more than enough, The fact that the 1990 Hummer was 5-10 years behind even for its time just makes the decision all that much easier.

Looks like my judgement of the OP is spot-on based on his admission that he’s just playing games with his eBay auction. Deadbeat move, but not surprising for someone foolish enough to buy the car with a $45k income.

Now you use compound false arguments to justify your failed ones. Do you realize how foolish you sound? The only thing you are spot on about is being a bit of a not so great person.

So I got even more screwed thanks to Elon Musk in announcing the new lower price for the model 3 version car since he made the announcement yesterday 2 p.m. now.... I got screwed in selling my model 3 performance at the price that was at the bid, so here's the message from the buyer that was interested in buying the car

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190301-063438_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20190301-063438_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 63
Now since the model 3 Performance is at $58,000 brand new and that's not after credits, so I'm hoping that Elon Musk is planning to make another announcement in stating that they are willing to give credit back to buyers that recently purchased any type of model 3 car in the last few months, either give some type of credit or at least free supercharging for the life of the car, just to make up the difference then I will be happy