Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 vs Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Bolt is designed from the ground up for ride-sharing, car-sharing, and autonomous operation. Lyft gave their input into it. Chevrolet is working on the autonomy programming right now.

Frankly, I think the Model 3 has design elements very suitable for autonomous car/ride sharing, probably even more so. There is a piece of me that thinks part of the Model 3 design is set up for Tesla to start their own autonomous ride sharing business.

The Bolt that the Model 3 must compete with is not the 2017 Bolt, it's the 2018 Bolt. The price and features have not been released for the 2018 Bolt.

To counter your response, I would say its not the 2016 Model 3 prototype that will compete with the "2018 Bolt," but the 2017 production Model 3. My money is on the production Model 3 being more impressive in every category (not named of cargo utility) than the Chevy Bolt in either 2017 or 2018.

If you decide to lease either car, then you don’t get the tax credit at all.

I want to confirm this point because I think this might be in error possibly.

When I leased my 2013 Leaf, there was no issue with getting the full credit. It was actually better leasing in this regard than buying because the credit came straight to me in about 60 days and I didn't have to wait until doing my taxes. I bought in August so it would have been 6-8 months before I would have benefited from the credit if I had bought. I then realized another benefit to leasing which was realized two weeks ago when I was able to buy my 2013 Leaf S with 29k miles for $8600.00 which covered an additional $7500 discount off Residual- that was a no brainer since I have also saved paying 4 lease payments as well.

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-6_17-48-58.png
    upload_2016-4-6_17-48-58.png
    264 bytes · Views: 57
I don't think the Bolt and Model 3 can be compared. If you are comparing them you are then only considering them as EVs. That is only a valid comparison for "green people". It is a limited market that does not explain the large number of reservations. The "experts" look at it in those terms. They assume the EVs fight in the green space and new models only eat into other green sales. This explains their projection of slow EV adoption and growth.

Try comparing it by the actual car class to get an idea of the value. The Bolt is a small front wheel drive SUV/CUV? So that puts it into the Honda CRV, RAV4, Ford Escape class. At an MSRP of $37,500 I would say it cost more than $10,000 more than those cars before rebates. I also see it as being used more of a soccer hauler and used on vacations which might not utilize the torque and the handling that an EV provides. When you are buying a small SUV you look for what it can haul and maybe ground clearance.

Now look at the Model 3 which is targeting the BMW3 and A4. without the rebates they are all playing in about the same ballpark on price and performance. The sport sedan takes advantage of the strong points of the EV which is torque and handling.

So the Model 3 can attract buyers from the sport sedan market and not just the green market. The Bolt I think is only playing in the green sandbox and will be limited even though I think it is a good car.

This has to be the battle Chevy has been waiting for. So without further ado, lets compare and judge this EV prize fight.

Delivery Schedule
I have to admit; Tesla has not been the most punctual car manufacture as it relates to keeping a delivery date. Chevy has many more people and money to throw at production issues to make sure they hit their delivery dates. I just hope that Tesla has really learned from their past mistakes and can prove everyone wrong. Crossing my fingers…… The winner of this category goes to Chevy.

Winner: Chevy Bolt

t

Add to that the fact that there won't be 276,000 people ahead of you in line to buy a Bolt. :)

I want to confirm this point because I think this might be in error possibly.

When I leased my 2013 Leaf, there was no issue with getting the full credit. It was actually better leasing in this regard than buying because the credit came straight to me in about 60 days and I didn't have to wait until doing my taxes. I bought in August so it would have been 6-8 months before I would have benefited from the credit if I had bought. I then realized another benefit to leasing which was realized two weeks ago when I was able to buy my 2013 Leaf S with 29k miles for $8600.00 which covered an additional $7500 discount off Residual- that was a no brainer since I have also saved paying 4 lease payments as well.

That may be how the lease was setup on your Leaf, but at least with the Model S and X, the tax credit is added directly to the residual due at the end if you keep the car. Doing this lowers your monthly payment.

Who knows how the Tesla lease partner will handle it for the Model 3.

I don't think the Bolt and Model 3 can be compared. If you are comparing them you are then only considering them as EVs. That is only a valid comparison for "green people". It is a limited market that does not explain the large number of reservations. The "experts" look at it in those terms. They assume the EVs fight in the green space and new models only eat into other green sales. This explains their projection of slow EV adoption and growth.

Try comparing it by the actual car class to get an idea of the value. The Bolt is a small front wheel drive SUV/CUV? So that puts it into the Honda CRV, RAV4, Ford Escape class. At an MSRP of $37,500 I would say it cost more than $10,000 more than those cars before rebates. I also see it as being used more of a soccer hauler and used on vacations which might not utilize the torque and the handling that an EV provides. When you are buying a small SUV you look for what it can haul and maybe ground clearance.

Now look at the Model 3 which is targeting the BMW3 and A4. without the rebates they are all playing in about the same ballpark on price and performance. The sport sedan takes advantage of the strong points of the EV which is torque and handling.

So the Model 3 can attract buyers from the sport sedan market and not just the green market. The Bolt I think is only playing in the green sandbox and will be limited even though I think it is a good car.

Very good point-- hence our plan: 1 Bolt and 1 M3. Bonus is we're very much in the green sandbox with our PV array with netmetering

Reactions: navguy12

Actually the Bolt is closer in size the Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, not the CRV/Ford Escape. Here is the lengths:

Bolt 164"

Honda Fit: 160"
Honda CRV: 179"
Ford Fiesta: 160"
Ford Escape: 178"

Its a subcompact hatchback, not an SUV.

Reactions: SCW-Greg and GSP
Actually the Bolt is closer in size the Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, not the CRV/Ford Escape. Here is the lengths:

Bolt 164"

Honda Fit: 160"
Honda CRV: 179"
Ford Fiesta: 160"
Ford Escape: 178"

Its a subcompact hatchback, not an SUV.
Totally agree. Bolt has 102 inch in wheelbase length, while Model 3 is around 111 inch range in wheelbase. Totally different category of car in just size alone, let alone Model 3 is premium in looks, fit and finish, technology etc, and Bolt is low-end. Both car costs the same, which one would you choose?

This has to be the battle Chevy has been waiting for. So without further ado, lets compare and judge this EV prize fight.

Pricing
Tesla has stated from the beginning that the Model 3 would cost the consumer $35,000.00 before federal and state tax credits. They delivered on that promise at the recent unveiling. Chevy’s Bolt will cost $37,500 before federal and state tax credits. Let’s stop here for a second and make sure everyone understands what a tax credit is. The tax credit does not mean everyone will get it. It will depend on multiple factors when filling your taxes. So we need to measure these cars by the MSRP without calculating the tax credit. If you decide to lease either car, then you don’t get the tax credit at all. Now, I know there could be an argument between which car will have the most technology in the base price, but I have to say with Tesla’s track record on delivering technology in their cars, they will crush Chevy. The winner is Tesla!

Winner: Tesla Model 3

Range
Chevy’s website states that the Bolt’s range will be more than 200 miles per charge. Tesla is stating their Model 3 will have 215 miles per charge. Since Tesla is telling us that 215 miles per charge is just the beginning, one would think there will be options to get the car up to 300 miles per charge maybe even higher. The Internet rumors have been saying Chevy might hit the 240 miles per charge range, which would be very nice but the one thing most can all agree on is both cars will not hit their EPA stated numbers. There are just too many factors that can hinder range on electric vehicles. I have to give this round to Tesla as they have better battery technology to date.

Technology
With three vehicles in the Tesla line-up, we know what to expect from Tesla in regards to their technology from AutoPilot to the big computer screen that runs the whole car (there are only 2 buttons/switches on the dash). With Chevy, we really just don’t have a lot to go on yet other than what’s on their website. So far, from everything I have read about the Bolt’s technology, it seems they have a lot crammed into their base car, but they are going up against Tesla who really is a technology company first. Technology goes to Tesla!

Winner: Telsa Model 3

Performance
This will be a quick one. Tesla is faster than the Bolt. Elon said it best “We do not build slow cars” Tesla wins!

The Look
Now here is where we come to the fork in the road. I assume Chevy’s design engineers want to wow us with their design capabilities, but the powers to be at Chevy are traditionally old school guys who think a car should look a certain way. Really guys? Why don’t you listen to the consumer? We want edgy in-your- face cars. Cars that will wow people as they pass by. Cars with such a wow factor they fly off the lots. That’s the space where Tesla lives. More wow factor in every design. You go Tesla! We know who wins this one don’t we? All you have to do is look at both cars side by side.

Delivery Schedule
I have to admit; Tesla has not been the most punctual car manufacture as it relates to keeping a delivery date. Chevy has many more people and money to throw at production issues to make sure they hit their delivery dates. I just hope that Tesla has really learned from their past mistakes and can prove everyone wrong. Crossing my fingers…… The winner of this category goes to Chevy.

Winner: Chevy Bolt

Charging
One word ‘Supercharger” Enough said. Tesla kills Chevy. Chevy has no charging infrastructure and they rely on others to build it. That’s going to work, right? I blogged recently on this topic. It was called “Range anxiety – The Electric Highway” Please read that blog.

Well there you go. I really feel with all the information we have so far on both cars; Tesla wins hands down over Chevy. Tesla might be a young car company, but they are truly reshaping the automotive industry like it or not.

Visit my YouTube channel

Visit my Facebook page

My Blog Site

@elonmusk @chevyboltnews @teslamotors @chevrolet

Tesla cult fans never disappoint.

Pricing
By the time the Model 3 is out, Bolt EV's price will be lower. Much lower, if Model 3 comes out with a delay like Model S and X had.

Range
So far, Tesla has always over promised and GM has always under promised and over delivered their EV range. Let's wait for the official EPA results, shall we?

Technology
I was not impressed by the dashboard and that flimsy tablet in the middle of it. Even Elon said, it would get a redesign.
However, at least the ACC should be available as an option in the Bolt EV. That's a big minus for the GM from me.
AP and ACC is a big plus for the Tesla.

The Look
Are you talking about that duck nose or that small, useless trunk opening in the back? Other than that - yes, it's a mini Model S, which is a good looking car.
Other than that - good luck getting in or getting up your elderly parents in such a low car. I've got to give my and my wife's parents a hand to get in and get out of my Ampera. In the last year (of 4 years) I have the Ampera, they got old enough, so that they can't get easily in and out of such a low car.

Last edited:

Pricing
By the time the Model 3 is out, Bolt EV's price will be lower. Much lower, if Model 3 comes out with a delay like Model S and X had.

Range
So far, Tesla has always over promised and GM has always under promised and over delivered their EV range. Let's wait for the official EPA results, shall we?

Technology
I was not impressed by the dashboard and that flimsy tablet in the middle of it. Even Elon said, it would get a redesign.
However, at least the ACC should be available as an option in the Bolt EV. That's a big minus for the GM from me.

The Look
Are you talking about that duck nose or that small, useless trunk opening in the back? Other than that - yes, it's a mini Model S, which is a good looking car.
Other than that - good luck getting in or getting up your elderly parents in such a low car. I've got to give my and my wife's parents a hand to get in and get out of my Ampera. In the last year (of 4 years) I have the Ampera, they got old enough, so that they can't get easily in and out of such a low car.

My reply: GM cult fans never disappoint.

Please go ahead and order 10 GM Bolts now. They desperately need your order.

Pricing

Interesting prediction. Last review, from March 2016 said that Chevy is still tuning Bolt's suspension.

Range

Why wait with that particular aspect. All we doing here is speculating. I think Tesla put a lot of pressure on Bolt quoting minimum 215 EPA range. I suspect it did not make LG Chem very happy that they need to provide more $140/kWh batteries if they want to beat Tesla.

Technology

Tesla pioneered large display which pushed GM to give bolt huge center console screen (10.2)... at least by GM's standard. Tesla is leading the pack again with new center console.

The Look

Some have tried to "improve" on the looks of the Model 3 and none really succeeded. Model 3 looks great and front is electrifying. When I look at current Bolt I wish they go back to the old grille, since ICE grille is so last century.

Model 3 is Tesla's first entry in affordable segment. They don't have to make everyone happy and there are plenty of cars sold with smaller and less versatile trunks. Those who are not happy with Model 3 will likely wait for the Y. If Tesla have proven anything is that they can engineer great cars.

Last edited:
Pricing

Why do you expect that GM will be able to lower the price on the Bolt? It is likely that the Bolt has negative gross margins at first, and GM released the cell pricing which indicates that they expect it remains flat through 2019. GM is going to get a solid amount of Type III ZEV credits, but that will have to used to offset the cost of selling all those gas guzzlers now that gas is cheap. Tesla is already paying somewhere in that pricing and expects the Gigafactory to further lower pricing. Most of the input costs for battery cells have cratered alongside other materials costs, which means that GM is locking in those rates for a while to make the Bolt possible. But lowering price further? Unlikely without basically losing money.

LG Chem "Ticked Off" With GM For Disclosing $145/kWh Battery Cell Pricing - Video

The Bolt is basically a Chevy Trax or Buick Encore conversion. Basic arithmetic makes it easy to understand the price point for the Bolt by removing the ICE powertrain and adding in the electric one + some electronics. For those that want to understand the dimensions of the Bolt, visit your Buick dealer and check out the Encore.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnSnowNW