Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3p Vs Bmw M850i Vs Mercedes-amg E63 S - Drag Race, Rolling Race & Brake Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Another interesting one, against cars about double the price of the Performance 3.

The problem is I'm accustomed to this: Model 3 Performance is blistering off the line, and then really not that fast at the top end.

The key in the rolling race is that the other cars have to shift, whereas the 3P has insta-torque. This is why on the "regular" roads of the US/EU (Autobahn is the exception) the P3 is going to be the faster car for everyday users.

Really wish we could see some tweaks for the top-end, but we might be hardware-technology limited at this point.

Elon did proclaim the Model 3 would have a ludicrous mode, so perhaps there is a future software upgrade that could smack these higher end ICE's.

On the other hand, I expect Tesla would prefer you buy the P100D, so we'll see.

Another interesting one, against cars about double the price of the Performance 3.

The problem is I'm accustomed to this: Model 3 Performance is blistering off the line, and then really not that fast at the top end.

The key in the rolling race is that the other cars have to shift, whereas the 3P has insta-torque. This is why on the "regular" roads of the US/EU (Autobahn is the exception) the P3 is going to be the faster car for everyday users.

Really wish we could see some tweaks for the top-end, but we might be hardware-technology limited at this point.

Why would you care about top end?

You will use your 0 - 60 alot more that getting up to high speeds?

Reactions: alexGS
Also, it becomes apparent from looking at the rear ends that E63 and M850 are much bigger cars. Too big for some of us. It’s really quite a cheeky test ;) C63 and M3 are the natural rivals.

Even C63 and probably my old Gallardo would beat the Model 3 at speeds over 120mph. A car with 460+ bhp is usually faster at the top end than the Model 3 is. I don’t care one bit, as I seldom get to do over 87mph/140km/h. And I sure know which one will be easier and more pleasant to drive the rest of the time. :D

-Alex

And how often do people in Germany drive 120+mph? I'd wager not very often. I'll take the car that's faster in 99.9% of the time on 99.
And how often do people in Germany drive 120+mph? I'd wager not very often. I'll take the car that's faster in 99.9% of the time on 99.9% of the public roads in the world.
Might be a lot more than you imagine. I've driven there at 200kmph (about 125 mph) and had other cars pass me. Also drove my 14 year old Mercedes convertible with the top down at 180 kmph while having a quiet conversation with my wife. So driving that fast is not unusual. The roads are good and the cars are built for those speeds.

But your decision is a good one. Those speeds are not legal in North America, so driving that fast has no practical purpose in USA.

I spent a few years repeatedly driving the Salzburg to Munich airport route. I had an Audi A4, so was top-ended but regularly hit 200kpmh. So I understand why those metrics are relevant to Autobahn drivers. I now drive the I-680 every day. If I hit 90mph then I'm watching for cops, but my Model 3 Performance is more than fine at this end. I struggle to get the complaints abut the P3D's "top end".