Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla model S battery Failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello my 2013 model S battery failed only 30k miles. SC quoted reman battery series B I approved the estimate for $ 12.9k however they installed the new battery model
BATTERY,90KWH,SX(1014116-00-C and asking for $22.5k. I didn’t authorize this. I approved 12.9 k they made a mistake and installed a 22k battery. I denied to pay $22k I said I will pay $12.9k that I approved. What will happen now?

. What will happen now?
From least to most likely:

1) they’ll say “lol our bad” and give you the new battery for the reman price (seriously doubt this).

2) They’ll try again to source a reman battery and may manage to get one in another 4-8 weeks. Meanwhile you keep waiting.

3) They’ll take out the new battery, put your busted one back in, and give you the car back.

Upvote 0
From least to most likely:

1) they’ll say “lol our bad” and give you the new battery for the reman price (seriously doubt this).

2) They’ll try again to source a reman battery and may manage to get one in another 4-8 weeks. Meanwhile you keep waiting.

3) They’ll take out the new battery, put your busted one back in, and give you the car back.
The paperwork says that cost cannot exceed more than 10% of the estimate provided. If it exceeds they are required to get authorization for that right? In this case they did not.

Upvote 0
The paperwork says that cost cannot exceed more than 10% of the estimate provided. If it exceeds they are required to get authorization for that right? In this case they did not.
Absolutely. You are definitely under no obligation to pay the new amount that you didn’t authorize.

That said, Tesla is under no obligation to give you the new battery either. If you decline to pay the new estimate you didn’t authorize, they are well within their right to put the car back the way it was and give it back to you.

Upvote 0
Absolutely. You are definitely under no obligation to pay the new amount that you didn’t authorize.

That said, Tesla is under no obligation to give you the new battery either. If you decline to pay the new estimate you didn’t authorize, they are well within their right to put the car back the way it was and give it back to you.
Thank you for the insight and support. The best case scenario can also be that I pay 10% more for a win win outcome. I’m willing to work with them as long as the solution is reasonable.

Upvote 0
Hello my 2013 model S battery failed only 30k miles. SC quoted reman battery series B I approved the estimate for $ 12.9k however they installed the new battery model
BATTERY,90KWH,SX(1014116-00-C and asking for $22.5k. I didn’t authorize this. I approved 12.9 k they made a mistake and installed a 22k battery. I denied to pay $22k I said I will pay $12.9k that I approved. What will happen now?

I'm guessing your car originally came with an 85kWh battery. Maybe they will lock your new battery to 85?

Reactions: Spathepu
Upvote 0
I am 99% sure you will have to get a lawyer

Upvote 0
OP has the advantage here. The main risk is that they claim they don’t have a appropriate battery to install, and your car is out of service for months. It’s much easier for Tesla to eat the 8k compared to the OP, hope that Tesla realizes this
What advantage exactly? Not sure I see it the same way. Knowing what I do about Tesla I’m pretty sure their stance on the matter is going to be “this is what we have, take it or leave it.”

Reactions: Spathepu
Upvote 0
What advantage exactly? Not sure I see it the same way. Knowing what I do about Tesla I’m pretty sure their stance on the matter is going to be “this is what we have, take it or leave it.”
Fundamental problem is that they didn’t make me aware of this change. The original estimate was for a refurbished battery that I approved.There was no mention of this other battery, which is double the cost almost. Tesla never told me about the change and I never approved the revised estimate, and there was no mention of this. Now I get a message that my car is ready but my invoice is $22.5k. Vs $12.9k. The paperwork says the invoice cannot exceed ‘more than 10% of the original estimate otherwise it required authorization. I’m open to reasonable solution at this point.

Upvote 0
I suspect the OP’s original battery is long time gone…

I would say stick to your guns. You approved an estimate. It clearly says they can’t go more than 10% higher without approval.

You did not screw up, the service center did, and now they want you to cover their mistake.

You also have certain consumer protections rights depending on your state

Upvote 0
Fundamental problem is that they didn’t make me aware of this change. The original estimate was for a refurbished battery that I approved.There was no mention of this other battery, which is double the cost almost. Tesla never told me about the change and I never approved the revised estimate, and there was no mention of this. Now I get a message that my car is ready but my invoice is $22.5k. Vs $12.9k. The paperwork says the invoice cannot exceed ‘more than 10% of the original estimate otherwise it required authorization. I’m open to reasonable solution at this point.
I totally agree and understand your point.

Again - I suspect the “solution”, if you stick to your guns, is Tesla putting your original battery back in and giving you the car back to do what you will.

Upvote 0
Im not looking to get free bees’ but I want to challenge their process because they don’t have one. People can’t cough up 10k just like that. I was at a decision point whether to keep the car or not when I was convinced to get a refurbished battery. Had I known it was 22 k . I would have salvaged the car and sold the car in junk yard.

Upvote 0

Download and save the copies of your estimate, screenshots of your chat with service manager, etc. immediately. I've had service details completely disappear on me after raising concerns that service was done improperly, or that service was denied on a part that will eventually be out of warranty and need replacing anyway. Save anything that establishes the approval of the initial amount and shows they didn't contact you with an updated estimate.

Then you might need to talk to a lawyer if they don't give your car back.

Upvote 0
Don’t know what state you’re in, but in Hawaii it is against the law to do work on a car without approval. This happened to me at a Mercedes dealer and when I challenged it , they tore up the papers and ate the whole bill. If your laws are similar, and they give no joy, take a cop with you and ask who wants to be arrested. Did this once too in Missouri. Worked

Upvote 0