Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S P85D Sets 1/4 Mile World Record vs Hellcat....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drag Race: Tesla P85D vs. Dodge Hellcat

For comparison purposes, the P85D is powered by two electric motors with a combined output of 691 horsepower while the Hellcat has a 6.2L Supercharged HEMI V8 pumping out 707HP. According to Streetcardrags.com, during this run the Tesla Model S P85D set a new world record (verified by NEDRA) for being the quickest and fastest production electric car in the world running 11.6 @ 114.6 MPH down the 1/4 mile with a very impressive 1.65 60′ time. 0-60 MPH came in at just 3.1 seconds during the run as per the VBOX. Although the Hellcat made a big, noisy show smoking its tires, it's driver choked at the race's start, and the silent killer, the Tesla P85D, easily prevailed.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's always the excuse when an ICE loses badly to a Tesla -- blame it on the driver not the antiquated ICE technology. Admittedly, the guy had a false start but he would've been smoked anyway with a clean start.

Exactly. The Tesla difference is that anyone can achieve those factory times, and with a minimum of fuss & effort. Even I beat the "4.2" figure on my P85 on my first serious try. (4.19, admittedly) With ICE "muscle cars" it requires the right track temperatures, tire temperatures, engine conditioning, driver skill, "launch" functions and a host of other stuff to get the manufacturer's claimed figure. Who needs all that crap!

That's always the excuse when an ICE loses badly to a Tesla -- blame it on the driver not the antiquated ICE technology. Admittedly, the guy had a false start but he would've been smoked anyway with a clean start..

Dude...the hellcat ran a 17.4. Minivans do that. That was all driver error.

No way the tesla smokes the hellcat with a clean start. Beat? Sure, quite possibly. Especially with two amateur drivers and the very sophisticated tesla traction control.

Agreed. When you get to a certain amount of power its simply doesn't mater anymore if you can't connect/hook up. The "D", GTR, and just a few others have mastered this and the results are documented. You simply can't just punch it with 700HP in a rear wheel car and expect to do anything but burn your tires up and/or loose complete control. He would have been a lot better of feathering it but that's where the "amateur" part comes in... Yes the good thing about the "D" is it does its thing drama free yet you still get the thrill. And anyone can accomplish the task without having to worry about killing themselves in the process. Its very unprecedented. We're going see some hideous accidents in the next couple of years from irresponsible US car manufactures putting this much HP in these cars without the ability to control that HP effectively, especially at the price point they will be sold at. These are wild and dangerous machines that only experienced drivers should be piloting. They should be mastering putting that power to the ground rather than putting more power in. More is not better, better is better.

Agreed. When you get to a certain amount of power its simply doesn't mater anymore if you can't connect/hook up. The "D", GTR, and just a few others have mastered this and the results are documented. You simply can't just punch it with 700HP in a rear wheel car and expect to do anything but burn your tires up and/or loose complete control. He would have been a lot better of feathering it but that's where the "amateur" part comes in... Yes the good thing about the "D" is it does its thing drama free yet you still get the thrill. And anyone can accomplish the task without having to worry about killing themselves in the process. Its very unprecedented. We're going see some hideous accidents in the next couple of years from irresponsible US car manufactures putting this much HP in these cars without the ability to control that HP effectively, especially at the price point they will be sold at. These are wild and dangerous machines that only experienced drivers should be piloting. They should be mastering putting that power to the ground rather than putting more power in. More is not better, better is better.

Couldn't agree more. The instant power and torque available encourages a kind of reckless driving in the hands of imprudent, immature drivers. I'm afraid we'll be seeing more tragic consequences as more adolescent males get their hands on electric cars.

At least the "D" specifically is very controlled in the way it goes about its thing. My concern with it is people's inability to judge distance during inertia and not being able to stop in my time in the event warranted. The thing is like a controlled missile yet it doesn't act like it. The inability to stop during a launch in the event of an emergency (unexpected car or bicycle pulls out) would be nearly impossible for the brain to react to. This coupled with its "ease to launch" could cause some bad decision making on when and where to launch. In other words it would be easy to loose respect for the thing. At least radical ICE vehicles scare you.

Did you guys see the BMW M4 lose it the other day at this "meet and greet" in CA? Although humorous and plain stupid, it wouldn't have been if someone would have been oncoming in the other lane...

BMW M4 Crash @ CARS COFFEE Blackhawk 2015 - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Yes probably. Be careful seeking out others to slay with this thing. It won't be you that loses, it will be the idiot ICE driver that literally loses it trying to think he can beat you. Of course that's when he loses it into you or some other innocent bystander, not good... Even if the results are injury and/or damage free, our insurance rates as a group will go through the ceiling... Simply put, there is really nothing that can beat this thing 0-60. We know that, but the idiot in the ICE vehicle doesn't. However that won't stop him from giving it his worst/best...

I'm not preaching, just being wise:)

Last edited:
To anyone who says "the driver of the Hellcat didn't know what they were doing"

Do you think if they switched drivers and did the run again the outcome would be any different?

Should the outcome not be different? :/ The Hellcat did false start, brake and then just drive very slow to the finish. Off course a 700hp car does not run the 1/4 mile on 18 sec, a 300hp car runs 13 sec
The hellcat with a good driver does the 1/4 mile on 11.2 Seconds (10.8 Seconds with Drag Radials) so it should be able to beat the P85D time if the grip is good. But that is the problem with powerful 2wd cars, traction is always a problem. Personally I don't like cars without 4wd.

I hope the firmware update boost the hight speed performance for the P85D, it should be able to do the 1/4 mile a bit faster and have a higher trap speed of 120mph+ with all that power.

Last edited:
Indeed, though I'm not sure I understand the contextual relevance.

Chest thumping this "win" is like the high school bully beating up a 5 year old.

Agree.

Soon a video will come out with a close race with a Hellcat. The D will beat it to 60, and will slightly win or slightly lose at the quarter mile, depending on conditions and driver skill. That will be impressive enough. But this video--where the Hellcat driver was obviously not in his element, is not the video to chest-thump.

We're going see some hideous accidents in the next couple of years from irresponsible US car manufactures putting this much HP in these cars without the ability to control that HP effectively, especially at the price point they will be sold at.

You can turn off the traction control in a Tesla just as easy as in the hellcat or any other modern car.
The bad accident rate wont be any different than the current death-by-automotive-excess rate. The same thing has been said about every step in the personal transportation timeline. Fast cars have always existed, and cheap fast cars have always existed.