Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S P85D Sets 1/4 Mile World Record vs Hellcat....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a couple of 0-60 hellcat vids and I don't think anyone's gotten to the 3-4 sec range b/c everyone spins at the start and the launch control doesn't seem to really work. Then people comment how dumb the driver is, etc etc.

thats what sucks about the drag strip. a lot of the cars that run are under a "test and tune" mark. which means the owner is messing around with air fuel ratios and what not. and... in the case of my trips to the drag stip or the track, its learning HOW to drive your car in a controlled area.

...and then we get a video on the internet where everyone says "look how dumb that driver is."
im curious to see how many times that hellcat owner had attempted a drag run, because if jumping the light is any indication... i would say not many.

Hmm... surprised that the Corvette didn't pull further ahead after keeping up so good from the start. But still weird to see all of these videos of the family sedan even in with a shot:)

A family sedan a tenth of a second off from a 2 door, 2 seater, purpose built sports car. Love it.

The 'vette will still be more tossible in the corners, but you can certainly toss a lot more stuff (and people) in the Tesla.

A family sedan a tenth of a second off from a 2 door, 2 seater, purpose built sports car. Love it.

The 'vette will still be more tossible in the corners, but you can certainly toss a lot more stuff (and people) in the Tesla.
Exactly:) i'm abusing youtube and the forums here these days watching all P85D-videos I can find while waiting for my car to arrive. My wife is so tired of it that she just moans when I bring out my ipad:)

I think the Hellcat driver was just messing around. Maybe after a poor launch he decided to just see how long of a peel out he could do. That, or maybe he needs a lesson in kinetic vs static friction.

Despite the fact that I love the Hellcat vs P85D matchup, I haven't passed this video around to show P85D performance because it looks more like skewed pro-EV propaganda than a real demonstration of EV potential in that context.

I'd like to see a real match... looked like the hellcat driver didn't know how to shift*...

* Shifting was a how power was transferred to the wheels using a transmission; antique reciprocating engines have a poor power curve requiring multiple gears to keep the engine at it's optimum speed.

Thanks for this. I got a good chuckle.

interesting that with a 3.1 0-60 and 11.6 quarter mile the P85D is pretty much right on top of the RS7, M6 Grand Coupe and the CLS63 AMG

2014 Audi RS7 vs. 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe, 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S-model Comparison Tests - Page 5 - Car and Driver
The important thing to look at in the 1/4 mile is the trap speed and the 660ft speed. Those three cars are all doing low-mid 120mph range, while the 85D is at ~114mph. This tells you how hard the car is pulling on the roll (highway speeds). A 10mph delta on the big end is huge.

The important thing to look at in the 1/4 mile is the trap speed and the 660ft speed. Those three cars are all doing low-mid 120mph range, while the 85D is at ~114mph. This tells you how hard the car is pulling on the roll (highway speeds). A 10mph delta on the big end is huge.

It all depends on what metric you want to think about. Higher trap speeds equate to better hp to weight ratios. Elapsed times are almost all about the first 100 feet. The 6mph difference at the end of the track will have a very small effect on the ET. If you imagine the last 100 feet were traveled at the trap speed, the Tesla would cover it in .598 seconds and the 120 mph cars would cover it in .568 seconds. It is only going to cost the Tesla .03 seconds of ET. The quicker launch is going to yield an order of magnitude more time, more like 0.3 seconds.

It is certainly true that the cars with a higher trap speed are going to be faster from a 60mph start, but in the real world acceleration from 60-120 is not going to be something you actually get much use out of. Everyone will have their own subjective impressions, but to me the 0-30 performance of the P85D is absolutely jaw dropping when compared to essentially everything on the planet and the difference between 60-80 is really barely noticeable. Coming from a 911 TT, I don't really miss the high speed performance at all. I do miss the nimble, responsive steering -- but all in all, I'm very pleased with the upgrade.