Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S P85D Sets 1/4 Mile World Record vs Hellcat....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should the outcome not be different? :/ The Hellcat did false start and did brake and then just drive very slow to the finish. Off course a 700hp car does not run the 1/4 mile on 18 sec, a 300hp car runs 13 sec
The hellcat with a good driver does the 1/4 mile on 11.2 Seconds (10.8 Seconds with Drag Radials) so it should be able to beat the P85D time if the grip is good. But that is the problem with powerful 2wd cars. Traction is always a problem. Personally I don't like cars without 4wd. I hope the firmware update boost the hight speed performance for the P85D, it should be able to do the 1/4 mile a bit faster and have a higher trap speed of 120mph+ with all that power.

Makes you wonder what a P85D could do on slicks, doesn't it? :)

Make fun all you want but for a 700Hp Monster like the hellcat at just over $40K is a LOT of bang/$$. One drivers inexperience does not a trend make. And really it's not that HARD to handle that much power in an ICE car.

Just over $40k?!? Last I saw the MSRP was a little over 58k before any options. Still a lot cheaper than a P85D, of course, but not $40k.
Walter

The Hellcat driver totally messed up the start. Makes it impossible to tell what the real performance would be. But it shows another thing that keeps being mentioned when it comes to drag races. People always blame the ICE driver for not having done a perfect start. Well if it's so hard to make a good start in an ICE car isn't that just another downside for ICE cars. Because any driver can sit in a Tesla and do a perfect start without any skills other than pressing the pedal down quick.

The Hellcat not only had no traction at the start, but for the rest of the drag. A shame, I would have enjoyed seeing the D destroy it in a more fair fight, but as said, it does really showcase how easy the Tesla can be operated. Heck, I bet the Tesla driver was quietly listening to NPR while sipping a flat white the whole time :p

the P85D does not spin off the line, slicks would not help.... a P85D with the 19" wheels and tires could be quicker though... who will give it a try?

It's been demonstrated on various occasions that the P85s are capable of breaking the rear end loose - and that Tesla's traction control is so quick and well made that you aren't necessarily aware of it while watching. There's no reason to think this has changed with the P85D, since the rear drivetrain is still the same.

If the car can break the wheels loose, it can benefit from more grip. :)

With nicer seats and auto transmission and taxes, a realistic price is $70,000.
Still a lot of bang for the buck (but save some dollars for petrol...this cat is a thirsty one).
At that price a used Model S becomes a possibility. Completely different target group but still interesting.

Indeed, though I'm not sure I understand the contextual relevance.

Chest thumping this "win" is like the high school bully beating up a 5 year old.

that's a very good analogy.

To anyone who says "the driver of the Hellcat didn't know what they were doing"

Do you think if they switched drivers and did the run again the outcome would be any different?

..is this a serious question?

i suggest you watch some more drag vids.

that's a very good analogy.

..is this a serious question?

i suggest you watch some more drag vids.

I don't think EarlyAdopter is suggesting the Hellcat driver didn't screw up - it is certainly obvious they did.

Instead, I read his point as being about the relative skill level required to get the best from the car - the P85D driver AFAIK just had to time the light and floor the pedal, while flooring the pedal appears to be half the Hellcat's problem.

I've seen a couple of 0-60 hellcat vids and I don't think anyone's gotten to the 3-4 sec range b/c everyone spins at the start and the launch control doesn't seem to really work. Then people comment how dumb the driver is, etc etc. I don't see how the hellcat can approach the P85D's 3.2secs, is there a vid showing someone getting a good hellcat 0-60?