Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S VIN 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339034221.785795.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339034230.225132.jpg

First Detailed Photos of Founders Series VIN #1 (It's a beautiful-looking machine!)

I got an extended opportunity to photograph Steve Jurvetson's #1 Tesla Production vehicle before and after the 2012 Annual Meeting of Shareholders I attended with my wife at the Computer History Museum (how fitting!) in Mountain View, CA on June 6th, 2012.

After I saw it today I wished I'd reserved a signature for the color.
SIGNATURE RED IS BEAUTIFUL!! THE CAR IS GORGEOUS!!! I COULD NOT FIND ONE EXTERIOR FIT OR FINISH ANOMALY!

Enjoy these photos, everyone!

https://plus.google.com/photos/117433471618932049710/albums/5751183181825194433#photos/117433471618932049710/albums/5751183181825194433

[If you have Google+, please +1, comment and share these photos to help them get broader distribution for viral marketing to help TSLA.]

Note the special engraving on the badging. Also, the "P85" badge reads: "PHASE CURRENT AMPLIFICATION" under it. P85 = Performance 85 Kwh battery.

VIN = 5YJSA1DP8CFF00001

Elon said during the annual meeting the idea was that founders would get their cars, first, to put miles on them to try to find any anomalies so they will be "as perfect as possible" when non-insider customers receive their Model S'. He said he spent the entire weekend with staff going over lots of little details -- stuff a "normal" customer probably wouldn't even notice.

-russ

PS. I'll post my lastest video interview with George Blankenship to another thread.

Elon said during the annual meeting the idea was that founders would get their cars, first, to put miles on them to try to find any anomalies so they will be "as perfect as possible" when non-insider customers receive their Model S'. He said he spent the entire weekend with staff going over lots of little details -- stuff a "normal" customer probably wouldn't even notice.

It sounds like the Founders' Series fills the role of the Release Candidate development stage.

It sounds like the Founders' Series fills the role of the Release Candidate development stage.

Yes, Doug, it sure does, but it's very short RC window, since they are delivering 10 units to "non-insider customers" on Friday, June 22nd, during a private company event.

When you look at the big picture, the delivery staging is brilliant (please correct my stage list if I made an error):

1. Founders Series - have a vested interest in the success of TSLA so will report all anomalies and not publicize them.
2. Roadster Owners Series - brand loyal customers who are already used to driving electric Telsa roadsters
3. Signature Series - highly motivated and/or wealthier customers willing to loan TSLA $40K each to acquire one of the first 1,000 units (after founders)
4. Production 85Kwh - highest range model so we won't see range anxiety complaints from these buyers.
etc.

-russ

Stunning! Thanks for all the great pics!

Would love to see some more of the production interior, but you had every exterior angle covered! MUCH appreciated!

Yes, I stayed for an hour after the end of the annual shareholder's meeting waiting for Steve to emerge from his TSLA Board Meeting that was held right afterwards so I could ask him for permission to photograph the interior for TMC.

I would have stayed longer to get the interior pics, but my dear-wife-who-is-not-a-Tesla-fanatic-and-says-we-should-wait-to-buy-the-Mercedes-with-the-Tesla-skateboard-if-we-can't-lease-the-Model-S-so-we-can-get-rid-of-it-when-the-lease-is-over-if-there-are-any-problems-with-it :love: insisted that we had to leave at 11am to prepare for an important afternoon business meeting.

One thing I learned from TSLA staff is that they were told the panoramic roof sunshade blocks-out all the sun's rays, but "Steve didn't want it on his car." This is a panoramic sunroof deal-breaker for me, because we just took delivery of a 24-month lease on a 2012 Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec "clean" diesel with a panoramic sunroof (24 months to overlap our X P83 by a few months). It has an automatic sunshade made of a flimsy cheap nylon material that let's some of the sun through. A Mercedes design fail. My wife hates it, and won't even drive it until I get the darkest window film I can find applied to the front glass panel.

-russ