Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model X Annual Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Tesla Model X with the latest updates installed. As I prepare to take the car in for its first annual service in September, I have experienced a few intermittent ??glitches?? during the year. Any comments are appreciated.

1. Drive into the garage and exit car. Headlights are on. Close entrance to home door behind me. Came back in 10 minutes and headlights still on. Opened and closed the driver door. Lights went out. Has happened a few times.

2. Get in car in garage. Put it in reverse. Reverse camera is all black except for two guide lines. Reboot the console and then the backup camera shows the rear view. Has happened a few times.

3. Start car and back it out of the garage. No volume from radio. Reboot the console and radio volume comes back on. Has happened a few times.

Anyone else experience these issues?

1. Drive into the garage and exit car. Headlights are on. Close entrance to home door behind me. Came back in 10 minutes and headlights still on. Opened and closed the driver door. Lights went out. Has happened a few times.

There's a headlights upon exiting your car slider. You might want to toggle it this way and that way to see if there's any difference.

I choose the on that when I open the driver door, the headlights are still on but as soon as my buttocks are off the driver seat, the headlights are turned off.

...2. Get in car in garage. Put it in reverse. Reverse camera is all black except for two guide lines. Reboot the console and then the backup camera shows the rear view. Has happened a few times...

It could be that your car was asleep and it just takes time for the view camera to wake up.

As long a reboot restored it, I wouldn't be worried.

...No volume from radio. Reboot the console and radio volume comes back on. Has happened a few times.

If reboot restored the audio, I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes, I've had he black backup screen a couple of time but not since about 5 downloads ago. I've also had the driver's side window close about 2/3 and then open again (also several rev's ago and I understand that this may be a force sensor) both of which were resolved by rebooting. Remember it's not so much a car as a computer with wheels.

But the OP raises a question. Sucker that I am I prepaid for two annual services. What will they do when I show up at the SC in December with the paper in my hand?

I prepaid for 4 annual "services" - and have taken it in for 3 of them. You do get get a free wheel alignment and tire check-up, new wipers and check-up on the a/c system. Plus I get updated to the latest software (I don't park in wifi, so my X was pretty behind in the software version).

I've been in for annual service since the "no annual service" rumors started, and I got annual service. They told me they could do everything recommended for the list price or inspect everything and only charge me for what is needed. I chose the latter and got what was needed. There are consumables in the X, and Tesla doesn't make self-service easy at all, so I can't imagine a service center actually telling you no if you want the work done (although I also can't imagine why one would have unnecessary work done instead of having them inspect and piecemeal the service).

I've been in for annual service since the "no annual service" rumors started, and I got annual service. They told me they could do everything recommended for the list price or inspect everything and only charge me for what is needed. I chose the latter and got what was needed. There are consumables in the X, and Tesla doesn't make self-service easy at all, so I can't imagine a service center actually telling you no if you want the work done (although I also can't imagine why one would have unnecessary work done instead of having them inspect and piecemeal the service).

I signed up for the second year service because I had 21000 miles in my first year. I did not prepay, so I was expecting upwards of $750. I needed an alignment since I just got new tires. Also mentioned I had the shudder problem. SA advised they had the parts to fix the shudder problem, since that fix requires an alignment, he said "you know that takes of nearly everything we'd do in the 2 year service" Why would I want to pay? So got out with basically the 2 year, and an alignment, all for no charge. Gave me a loaner as well. I was pretty happy camper!