Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the profile on the 21" wheels on the YP? Looking to compare with the 3P's corresponding (20") tyres to get some idea of ride. Have heard conflicting stories that it's better/worse/the same.

EDIT: Answered my own question. 245/35R20 on 3, 255/35R21 on Y. Probably not enough in it to make a difference.

Last edited:
Are the comments valid that LR is a few weeks away?
Can’t be anything more than rumour.

I suspected they know what will sell more with the number of batteries they can make at the moment and that is why they have started with SR and P.

We may never get the LR. In fact with the range of comparable vehicles (polestar 2, ev6, ioniq5 etc) they don’t need the range to compete anymore

And honestly I think it’s the right decision. SR has been fine and more chargers coming online will only make that situation even better.

Reactions: Chuq
What's the profile on the 21" wheels on the YP? Looking to compare with the 3P's corresponding (20") tyres to get some idea of ride. Have heard conflicting stories that it's better/worse/the same.

EDIT: Answered my own question. 245/35R20 on 3, 255/35R21 on Y. Probably not enough in it to make a difference.
Bjorn got his hands on a Made in Berlin YP and feels that the tyres / suspension tune has improved things.

And honestly I think it’s the right decision. SR has been fine and more chargers coming online will only make that situation even better.
We are years away from having a sufficient number of chargers in Australia.
If you want to go to remote areas, you need range.
See how a Model Y handles going to Lake Eyre, Strezleki, Big Desert, Sturt National Park, Birdsville, etc, etc, etc
Then wack on a caravan

We are years away from having a sufficient number of chargers in Australia.
If you want to go to remote areas, you need range.
See how a Model Y handles going to Lake Eyre, Strezleki, Big Desert, Sturt National Park, Birdsville, etc, etc, etc
Then wack on a caravan
Without doing the ABRP testing I’d hazard a guess that even the LR would struggle in these use cases. Hybrids will still have a long future IMHO.

Not sure that these areas would be high on a Model Y owner's road trip list. EV's appropriate for these areas are still to hit our shores and will be some time away methinks.
Having said that many years ago I took a 2WD station wagon up to Sturt National Park and the Dig Tree then down the Strzelecki Track. It went OK but low clearance and sandy stretches made for some interesting moments.
Even when 800km - 1000km range off-bitumen EVs eventuate remote area charging will still be a challenge.