Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dramatic title, Tesla "slashes" acceleration. Seriously.

Interesting. I really wasn't expecting a standard range model in Australia, even though its perfectly fine for many users. Its pretty compariable to all of its competitors. The acceleration is not fantastic, but in the real world, its quick enough. Hopefully price comes in at less than $70,000inc GST, even a driveaway for less than $70,000 would be ideal.

Maybe...you hoon, me grandma ;)

I get 480km on a 100% change if I am doing my version of being a "hoon"....however easily often get 405-410km's on an 80% charge....

Maybe the lowreing of my car does make a difference? I am on Unplugged Performance springs for the performance which does drop the car by about 2.5cm's from memeory...see image below.

View attachment 767529
Just wondering if you live in the plains or hills? I live in the Adelaide hills and have a 300 M descent/ ascent every day, my efficiency is about 195 Wh/km (MS though)

I figure at least now it's a minimum 5-7 months from when the orders open, so that's a lot of time for ride-sharing/car-rental-sharing revenue to go towards the Model Y deposit!
Agree with the time estimate. Orders could open Q2 for shipping/delivery on that Q3 boat that has the 3s on it. It would be small numbers if orders do open. Could be Q4. Hope its before xmas.

I’m guessing that Tesla have pretty much stopped opening new markets, like Model Y in Australia/NZ or launching new models, Cybertruck, Semi and Roadster 2, because their existing production is at capacity until either GigaTexas and GigaBerlin are online and producing in reasonable numbers, possibly both.
This also assuming they can increase component parts supply to match the increased production capacity.

I’m guessing that Tesla have pretty much stopped opening new markets, like Model Y in Australia/NZ or launching new models, Cybertruck, Semi and Roadster 2, because their existing production is at capacity until either GigaTexas and GigaBerlin are online and producing in reasonable numbers, possibly both.
This also assuming they can increase component parts supply to match the increased production capacity.
I mean they did say this years focus was fulfilling orders and increasing production, finally a good decision but it must be extremely constrained to not open order books for Aus and NZ where you would only need 4 days to 1 week max to meet the first order demand (considering they produce a care every 43 seconds, roughly 2000 per day).

I would also think that they would open our market soon so that when Texas and Berlin ramp that the Aus and NZ orders will be already placed and ready to be produced at Shanghai.

My thoughts, based on zero evidence, is that Model Y orders here will open soon after Giga Berlin is given whatever final approvals it needs to start full production. I think Tesla is focussed on sorting that out as a priority since they were hoping to have it pumping out cars about 3 months ago.