Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model Y Long Range Only Hits 220 miles in Real World Test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VW ID.4 Goes 190 Miles In Car & Driver Highway Test, Tesla Model Y Hits 220

The Tesla Model Y Long Range Car and Driver tested did 220 miles in the same test and averaged 94 MPGe. It has AWD and an 80.5-kWh battery pack. However, it’s not much of a win for Tesla because its EPA driving range is 326 combined driving and 117 MPGe on the highway. This will make some question the EPA's Model Y estimates. Also, it's important to know that the ID.4 was tested on a 40-degree day and the Model Y on a 75-degree day.

Some owners have posted they are able to achieve EPA estimates. Some even do better, but more posts claim they do worse. Could it have anything to do with the way the cars are driven?
It’s a standardised test by them:

More information on the publication’s 75-mph highway test:

“We run all our tests at a GPS-verified 75 mph on the same 200-mile out-and-back loop on Michigan's I-94 highway. Our consistent procedure includes a methodical fill-up process, following a specific route, using cruise control, and setting the climate control to the same temperature (72 degrees auto). We also correct for odometer error, and we don't test in heavy wind or rain or with extra passengers. In the event we encounter too much traffic or unusual conditions, we abort the run and try again later.”

“We follow the same procedure for electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids, except for these, we have additional steps that include making sure the battery is fully charged before starting and recording the kilowatt-hours (kWh) needed to fill the battery after the drive loop."

Our Y meets the efficiency stats. However. my driving is closer to the EPA’s test than the ‘real world’ tests C&D used.
I strongly suspect that the Y is much more sensitive to changes from the EPA tests than the 3 is.

This is what I mean. If you drive 75 mph you will not achieve EPA rated range.

Believe EPA testing never goes over 55 mph.

In addition, they measured the kWh needed to fill the battery to determine range. To get true range you need to measure the total kWh used. Measuring the amount needed to fill introduces a variable as to the efficiency of the charging system. It takes more than 1kWh of juice to get 1 kWh out due to the inefficiencies of charging. Likewise it takes more than 100kWh of electricity to fully charge a 100kWh battery from full to empty.

Same with refining crude oil. It takes more than one barrel of crude oil to get one barrel of refined products. Some loss is expected within the process. Also far less than one barrel of gasoline can be extracted from barrel of crude.

If you drive the way EPA test, usually you will match the EPA rated range. If you drive way faster...you will get way less.

Critics of Tesla tend to hang on reports like these to somehow try to make the case that Tesla does not do as well as expected. There is a strong bias in testing like this.

In my X, if I drive a typical route to work, I can easily get EPA rated range. When I am driving 80 mph down the highway it is not unusual for that range to drop. Same thing happens when I am towing something.

These larger frontal areas of SUVs tend to use more juice at higher speed than do the smaller EVs like Model 3.

Last edited:

@Nuclear Fusion, what is your "real world" experience with a Tesla?

My MYP (March 2020 build) averages 290 wh/mile @ 7K miles here in SoCal mostly freeway driving 75-80 mph.

That translates to 75,000 W battery/290 wh/mile = 258 miles.

My November 2018 build M3 LR AWD ave 273 wh/mile at 85K miles, mostly freeway driving 75-80 mph in SoCal.

75kW/273 wh/mile = 274 miles.

YMMV, in each of our real world.

PS: I know I can match rated range in the 3 or Y if I drive slower than usual - somewhere around 60-70 mph.

My MYP (March 2020 build) averages 290 wh/mile @ 7K miles here in SoCal mostly freeway driving 75-80 mph.

My November 2018 build M3 LR AWD ave 273 wh/mile at 85K miles, mostly freeway driving 75-80 mph in SoCal.

Battery capacity and energy are measured in watt-hours (Wh) or kilowatt-hours (kWh). 75,000 W battery and 75 kW (referring to a battery) make no sense in this context.

Reactions: Big Earl
@Nuclear Fusion, what is your "real world" experience with a Tesla?

YMMV, in each of our real world.

PS: I know I can match rated range in the 3 or Y if I drive slower than usual - somewhere around 60-70 mph.

It really would have been interesting if they had released the RWLR Y version.
Numbers would be interesting to have been seen.

I get 280ish range on mine 290WH/Miles is about right - 3/2020 MYPUP