Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would have raised my concern a lot more than the typical stuff you see. I don't get phased by the (thankfully, rather rare) people who yell, give you a colorful hand signal, or honk. But walk up to my window and smack it?

I carry one of these in the center console. Note: Please check your state and local laws before purchase, several states prohibit a pepper spray for personal defense that's this large. If you're in a state with a 2 oz restriction, use this one instead. Additionally, there are a few states where pepper spray is illegal, a few others that require a license, and some where you must buy it from a licensed dealer, not online.

Summary of state-by-state laws is here, but double check because the information may be out of date.

(Sorry for the off-topic post, probably should make a separate thread).

I did file a police report in case the guy is still worked up about it and decides to track me down or something (including dashcam footage of the lunatic). I opted not to have them pay him a visit though. I didn't think escalating the situation would help. The guy clearly has anger issues. Karma will take care of him.

I may or may not have a conceal carry permit and may or may not have been carrying, but definitely don't want to go there unless I have to...

I did file a police report in case the guy is still worked up about it and decides to track me down or something (including dashcam footage of the lunatic). I opted not to have them pay him a visit though. I didn't think escalating the situation would help. The guy clearly has anger issues. Karma will take care of him.

I may or may not have a conceal carry permit and may or may not have been carrying, but definitely don't want to go there unless I have to...

Karma will and I'm right there with you on the CCW. We are sitting ducks at superchargers so we can never be too careful. But I'm more concerned if God-forbid I get a flat and some crazy shows up on the side of the road, you never know these days.

Picked up my fully tricked-out, showroom S75D last Th in Mt Kisco NY. Decide to make my first road trip Sat the annual Xmas shopping pilgrimage to Premium Outlet mall in Lee MA since there is a Supercharger station right near the mall entrance. The timing is perfect since I am not big on shopping and finish well before SO and MIL, so I hop over to SpC while they are shopping. I get there and all 8 stalls are empty so I back in and start charging. Soon after, I notice a Lexus LS pull into the last stall and I am muttering under my breath at inconsiderate ICE drivers since there are many other available parking spots much closer to the store.

A short while later I get out of car to stretch my legs and the Lexus driver rolls down the window and asks how I like the Tesla. I tell him I've had it for two days and this is my initial drive but so far it's great. He quickly pops out of the car along with his striking daughter, who i realize I had seen earlier at the mall, and they ask question after question, ask to see interior, hatch space, frunk. I launch into Mr. Professor mode on all the features including AP and Summon--this is the geek version of standing straight and sucking in your stomach in the presence of an attractive young woman. When they mention they live in Springfield, I point out there is a SpC station there. They are very thankful and eventually go back to their car, still gazing at the S. Finally the wife emerges from store and they drive off just as two black S pull into the SpC.

Suspect there may be a Tesla in their future.

IMG_0542.PNG
Just sighted a little north of Texas HWY 67. I've seen one other in Johnson County but this one was a refresh nose, so it's not the one I've seen before.

Reactions: NoPetrolDream
On a recent trip I checked into a hotel. For car registration make and license tag, I entered "Tesla" and "BATTMBL". (Battery mobile, get it?)

After checking out of the hotel, plans changed and I came back and re-checked into the same hotel, same desk clerk. Before I filled out the registration form, he said "Oh, you're the one with the Tesla. You don't have to put the license tag in. I'm pretty sure you're the only Tesla here." I did enter the license tag and explained it. He chuckled and said "I've got to see that."

I parked the car with the rear too close to the office building at work a few weeks ago. I was walking up to the car with a 7' long box of pre-finished flooring. So as I arrived at the car, with the box on staying on my shoulder, I pulled out the phone and summoned car forward about 4 feet, then I pressed the fob to open the hatch, slid in the box. Closed the hatch with the fob and summoned the car back into position. All without touching the car. As it started to roll back I heard a call of "no way" from one of the windows followed by a round of applause. The model s was new to the office and only a couple of people knew anything about it.

These Tesla moments come in batches for me every couple of weeks, here's 2 standard ones:
Sitting at the Greenville, Al supercharger I see 2 suvs pull into the Hampton inn parking lot and I'm getting looks, which is normal at this point so I continue surfing my phone while stretching outside the car. One of the women of the group begins walking awkwardly down the middle of the parking aisle making eye contact but saying nothing. Finally about 50 ft away she says "do they charge you for that". I launch into Tesla promoter mode and explain the details. She said she had never seen a supercharger (from Indiana she said) and as this goes on another woman and 2 quiet but curious youngsters (age 8-12) come over to inquire about the car. I let them look inside and check out screen and they keep repeating how beautiful the car is and thank me for my time. I thank them and tell them it's the future of travel. She returns to the rest of the party she was with repeating stuff I said, maybe we will have some Model 3 owners out of the bunch.

Immediately leaving that supercharger a guy with windows rolled down just yells "awesome car man!" Out his window. I respond with a solid thumbs up and wave. This car just makes me grin.

Yesterday I was in a "Mom and Pop" drive thru and when I pulled to the window the conversation happened:

Miss: "Nice car! Beautiful Car!"
Me: thank you.
Miss: "how much does this cost?"
Me: (tad shocked at the blunt question) I tell her starting price $66,000 but also about tax incentives and gas savings.
Miss: I thought they were more expensive than that.
Me: They can be if you option them out.
Miss: Beautiful car. What do you do for a living?
Me: (a bit shocked again at the question) I tell her my job.
Miss: Yeah... because this is an expensive car so...?
Me: I had to save for years.
Miss: ~gives me confused stare

The conversation went from complimentary to slightly offensive. I think people are confused when they see I'm in the low/middle class driving a car that can cost over $140,000. Mine of course is the base 60kWh but some people don't know the difference.

Yesterday I was in a "Mom and Pop" drive thru and when I pulled to the window the conversation happened:

Me: (tad shocked at the blunt question) I tell her starting price $66,000 but also about tax incentives and gas savings.

The conversation went from complimentary to slightly offensive. I think people are confused when they see I'm in the low/middle class driving a car that can cost over $140,000. Mine of course is the base 60kWh but some people don't know the difference.
Given the central role in our society of cars as status symbols it is unsurprising, while still unfortunate, that people automatically assume
a connection not only between the car and the "status" of the driver but also -- and most annoying, I think, to many of us -- between
the car and the desire of the driver to "advertise" their (presumed) status. People don't really get how many Tesla owners bought cars
"above their pay grade" because they really like Teslas, for a variety of reasons.

I had a similar discussion with my eye doctor last week (but a lot more positive). He said he thought they were expensive and I said they can be but they don't have to be that expensive. I pointed out that for the most part, the $66k model looks just the same as the $140k model and that there are CPOs that can be found for less than $66k. He had lots of questions and wants me to stop by to show it to him later this year.

My next door neighbor's sister interrogated me about the cost too. I was vague, but made the point I saved up for a very long time. I wasn't specifically saving for a car the whole time, but I have been socking away money for several years. She also knows I've been driving a 1992 Buick for as long as she's known me.

My father asked too, but he also said "it's your money, do with it as you want."

The money thing is probably the most uncomfortable part of Tesla Moments. I am not an extravagant person by nature, my initial budget for a car was in the $30K to $40K range. There is still a part of me who says I was nuts to buy this car. Oddly that voice is quiet when I'm actually driving.

I was driving back from work in the lane next to the HOV lane and noticed a man in a Hyundai behind me gesturing wildly and waving to the left. I thought something fell out of my car so I slowed and he pulled up next to me in the right lane and screamed" why the hell aren't you driving in the car pool lane, man?" I was dumbfounded but replied that I didn't have my HOV stickers yet. He gave me a look of disgust and proceeded to cut me off.
I was laughing all the way home at the sheer stupidity that walks (and drives) among us. Sorry dude, for holding you up on the freeway!

Yes, I know a few owners and they say one of the top questions they get asked is always something to do with either the cost of the vehicle or what they do for a job. I must admit that I certainly wonder what people do if they've got a Tesla. :oops: Human nature, I guess, always curious and comparing ourselves with others.

When my 3 arrives I'll be able to say I have indeed been saving up for it for years, not unlike @wdolson. I'm going to try hard to not be offended and not make either my interrogator or myself uncomfortable when conversation inevitably shifts toward finances. (I suppose I have a year or two to figure out a good response tactic.) It's going to be the "cheap Tesla," but a lot of people I know have never bought a brand new vehicle, and their used "finds" have always done marvelously for much less than new. Hard to justify a new car for that reason, but ... it's a Tesla ... :p

I get a lot of these type of questions, "what do you do to make so much money?" etc. Society as a whole lacks tact and courtesy concerning other people's income and possessions. I used to do some racing and the old adage there was "if you have to ask you can't afford it". A little rude the other way, but I never heard anyone use that in response to someone asking "what does a fancy engine like that cost?". Anyway, I think it is somewhat comparable to asking a woman if she is pregnant, pretty much none of your business.