Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a personal Tesla moment this morning. I am currently in Australia returning home tomorrow. When I am travelling I keep our "S" at 50% charge level as recommended by Tesla SC. Well today, using the Tesla App, I was able to set my charge limit to 80% to have the car sufficiently charged for our return. Everyone is amazed here that I can control our car in Canada from Australia.

Just had Automotion here in the Wisconsin Dells last weekend. BIGGEST Car show in the Midwest. Anything and everything. Turbo Charged Geo Metro's to your Supercars. Ricers everywhere. And.... They are all so... Sad and lacking. If your building your car from Autozone..... Just.... No.....

I had no intention to race, and in fact, I did not. I was egged on many times. I did use full accel from every stop light when clear ahead, noting came close... To my 60kWh....... Could hear the ricers behind me, and on the side trying to get out of first gear.... So sad that a 60 would beat them!!! Now, a p85D would have owned the whole event.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a personal Tesla moment this morning. I am currently in Australia returning home tomorrow. When I am travelling I keep our "S" at 50% charge level as recommended by Tesla SC. Well today, using the Tesla App, I was able to set my charge limit to 80% to have the car sufficiently charged for our return. Everyone is amazed here that I can control our car in Canada from Australia.

Did the same thing while in China. My car was in parents garage on a 120v to keep er happy (was -10 to +10 Degrees F while I was gone). The friday night, I raised the SOC to 90% from 50%, and let er at it. Took until Sunday night to get to 90% though. I attribute that to car needing to keep things warm with the cold weather.

Just had Automotion here in the Wisconsin Dells last weekend. BIGGEST Car show in the Midwest. Anything and everything. Turbo Charged Geo Metro's to your Supercars. Ricers everywhere. And.... They are all so... Sad and lacking. If your building your car from Autozone..... Just.... No.....

I had no intention to race, and in fact, I did not. I was egged on many times. I did use full accel from every stop light when clear ahead, noting came close... To my 60kWh....... Could hear the ricers behind me, and on the side trying to get out of first gear.... So sad that a 60 would beat them!!! Now, a p85D would have owned the whole event.

- - - Updated - - -

Did the same thing while in China. My car was in parents garage on a 120v to keep er happy (was -10 to +10 Degrees F while I was gone). The friday night, I raised the SOC to 90% from 50%, and let er at it. Took until Sunday night to get to 90% though. I attribute that to car needing to keep things warm with the cold weather.

I was driving home from my road trip on Sunday. Going through Madison there was this big group (over a dozen) of ricers clogging up the freeway. They were taking up all 3-4 lanes of traffic and driving really slow. Anyone who tried to pass them would be tricked into racing them. So this went on a for a few dozen miles. I finally got up close behind them and they were gearing up to race me. The last guy that just tried to get past them had two of the ricers racing up ahead 80+ miles an hour. Where is a cop when you need one. Then suddenly there's a cop! He pulled over the speeding ricers and broke up the existing group of ricers enough for me to get around without getting sucked into a race.

I was driving home from my road trip on Sunday. Going through Madison there was this big group (over a dozen) of ricers clogging up the freeway. They were taking up all 3-4 lanes of traffic and driving really slow. Anyone who tried to pass them would be tricked into racing them. So this went on a for a few dozen miles. I finally got up close behind them and they were gearing up to race me. The last guy that just tried to get past them had two of the ricers racing up ahead 80+ miles an hour. Where is a cop when you need one. Then suddenly there's a cop! He pulled over the speeding ricers and broke up the existing group of ricers enough for me to get around without getting sucked into a race.

I had that happen to me once in a previous sporty ICE I owned. The comical part was that the ricer was trying to race me when I was on cruise control in sixth gear. He was trying hard too!

I visited an office building in Stamford CT which is not the office I normally work at. When I pulled into the garage I found a space right next to another Tesla. Then I looked at the license plate. Mine is on the right. What are the odds.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432082328.470694.jpg

I visited an office building in Stamford CT which is not the office I normally work at. When I pulled into the garage I found a space right next to another Tesla. Then I looked at the license plate. Mine is on the right. What are the odds.
Now that is quite the coincidence! On a side note, what's the message in the vanity plate? Or is that not a vanity plate and just the ones CT handed you two?

I am sorry, who/what is a 'ricer'?

Thanks

(Ricer: from the latin word Ricarius meaning to suck at everything you attempt)

A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):

- Huge exhaust that serves no purpose but to make the car louder
- Large spoiler on the back that looks like something Boeing made for the 747
- Lots of after-market company stickers they don't have parts from, but must be cool
- Expensive rims that usually cost more than the car itself
- Bodykit to make the car appear lower, usually accented with chicken wire
- Clear tail lights and corner signals
- A "performace intake"- a tube that feeds cold air to their engine usually located in areas of excessive heat (behind or on top of the engine)
- Most of these riced cars (a.k.a. rice rockets or rice burners) are imports; Honda Civics, Accords, Integras, CRXs, RSXs, Del Sols Mitsubishi Eclipses, Lancers, Subaru Imprezas, however there are some domestics such as Chevrolet Caviliers, Dodge Neons, Ford Focus; small, slow, economy cars designed specifically to go slow. Please note that some Supras, Skylines, WRX's and other higher performance imports are designed to go fast, and are therfore not always considered rice. It really depends on the severity of the case.

The "ricer" attempts to make their car "performance" by adding the modifications listed above. These ricers are not confined to any one ethnic group or color, however different ethnic groups are known for certain styles.
Honda Civics with big spoilers and 4" exhaust tips are considered to be ricers.

Ref: Urban Dictonary

Thanks for the term explanations (and the nice illustrations above), I did not know the term ricer either, I just used to call these "audio-visual tuning", i.e. mods that make the car look and sound like a fast car even though they are not...

View attachment 81420
Out of curiosity, does CT issue plates in sequential series? If so, might these have been licensed the same day at the same time?
I recall from ancient memory, 50 years or so ago, that sequential plates were not entirely uncommon. A friend had purchased two cars the same day from the same dealer and received sequential plates. That is the only other time I remember seeing such a thing. Those cars were not twins, as yours seem to be.

The CT service center/delivery team will go in and get your plate for you so they probably had both those cars done at the same time. Which means somewhere out there is another Tesla one number above or below mine as well.... :)

And yes they do issue plates in sequence. My husband and I had plates that were one off from each other until I switched cars.

Out of curiosity, does CT issue plates in sequential series? If so, might these have been licensed the same day at the same time?

I presume that they are issued sequentially and that Tesla registered both cars at the same time. Still, I have never seen my sequential plate so it was neat just to find the sequential plate let alone having it be the same make and model. I guess it is the little things that make me smile.