Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my first moment today. Took the family to Sea World on Sunday. We were sitting in traffic when I noticed a classic car that I didn't immediately recognize. Got a little closer and figured out the score though. As I did, I noticed the gentleman in the drivers seat point in our direction and both he and his passenger turned to check out the S. We exchanged photos and smiles and were off in short order, but it was cool none the less.

jIUsEYz.jpg

Had my first moment today. Took the family to Sea World on Sunday. We were sitting in traffic when I noticed a classic car that I didn't immediately recognize. Got a little closer and figured out the score though. As I did, I noticed the gentleman in the drivers seat point in our direction and both he and his passenger turned to check out the S. We exchanged photos and smiles and were off in short order, but it was cool none the less.
Wow, that's a real unicorn in the wild! Not many of those around... Nice!!!

Wife is running in the NYC Marathon so we came down last night. Parked near Jacob Javitts so I could drop her off at the South Ferry at 6:15AM today. Went to the garage this morning and attendant took my ticket and disappeared for 10 minutes. When he finally arrived the charge port was open and the sunroof slightly ajar. He gets out and says "they need to provide better instructions for this car." Apparently, he couldn't figure out how to get it into drive.

Drove up the Columbus circle and parked again so I could get a viewing of the runners. Attendant looks at the car and asks "Chevy??" [emoji15]. (That hurt a little.). I said "No, it's a Tesla. You know, all electric?" He scrolls through the computer screens and finally selects "Other." I decided it was a good idea to go over the controls before letting him park it.

I guess we still have a long road to go in NYC before Tesla becomes better known.

Yesterday was our annual family pumpkin carving get together. One of my sisters brought her new bf, and his 2 teenaged children. They were both only interested in my car, pretty sure that was the only reason they agreed to come! Needless to say, before I got my hands gunked up with pumpkin guts I gave then a test ride. They were super excited! And, while my other sister and I chose more difficult pumpkin designs, they all came out great!

Before anyone thinks I have way more talent than I do, my talent is really more around cutting along the lines. My sister and I just have more patience so choose more complex patterns. If you've never done it, I highly recommend Ultimate Pumpkin stencils - Awesome Pumpkin Carving Patterns for everyone. and we just use cheap pumpkin tools from target. No artistic skills required, just fine motor skills and patience.

Last year's pumpkins:
FB_IMG_1446399987922.jpg
FB_IMG_1446399998761.jpg

Attachments

• 20151031_154717.jpg
    20151031_154717.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 20151031_154717-1.jpg
    20151031_154717-1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Wife is running in the NYC Marathon so we came down last night. Parked near Jacob Javitts so I could drop her off at the South Ferry at 6:15AM today. Went to the garage this morning and attendant took my ticket and disappeared for 10 minutes. When he finally arrived the charge port was open and the sunroof slightly ajar. He gets out and says "they need to provide better instructions for this car." Apparently, he couldn't figure out how to get it into drive.

Drove up the Columbus circle and parked again so I could get a viewing of the runners. Attendant looks at the car and asks "Chevy??" [emoji15]. (That hurt a little.). I said "No, it's a Tesla. You know, all electric?" He scrolls through the computer screens and finally selects "Other." I decided it was a good idea to go over the controls before letting him park it.

I guess we still have a long road to go in NYC before Tesla becomes better known.

I usually try to park at a garage with a HPWC, even if I don't need a charge. I figure they are more likely to be familiar with the car. Never had a problem so far.

Heh. In the 2 weeks I've owned the car, I've had three different AMG Mercedes try and race me (CLA45, and S series of some sort, and just today a ML63)... all in black of course. And I don't even own a P! Typically have a 3 year old in the back so nothing came of any of that, but these cars certainly garner a different breed of attention than my previous vehicles... even the highly modified ones. Edit, just to add to this I had two kids pull up next to me and excitedly requested I lower my window so they could ask me if my car was driving itself. They were smiling more than I think I did when I took delivery of my car!

@Btrflyl8e epic pumpkins. Grumpy cat FTW.

Last edited:
A few Tesla moments to post:

Tried to keep the car low-key at work by parking far away (I don't like attention and didn't want anyone knowing who the owner of the new Tesla was). Was running late one morning and as I was entering the parking structure, I got caught behind one of our managers who must have glanced in his rear view mirror and saw me. By the end of the day, it seemed like all the managers in my building knew I was the owner of that shiny black Tesla in the parking lot, and even had a few ask me some questions about Tesla and EVs in general (how far can you on a full charge, where do you charge, etc.)

I'm in a fully-employed MBA program and a few of my classmates wanted to get a close-up look of a Tesla. Class ends, and they all follow me out to the parking lot. Must have been about a dozen of them swarming the car! Felt weird and awesome at the same time...I guess I should get used to the attention the car may draw occasionally.

Was visiting my parents this past weekend and parked in their garage. While I was inside, my dad went out to open the garage for something. One of the neighbors saw the car and said something along the lines of "are you kidding me!?" apparently he knew the deal with Tesla

My 2nd Tesla moment came from my wife, sitting in the passenger seat. We somehow a little bit in a hurry for an appointment, and I was driving a two-lane (one lane each direction) road, when I had one car in front of me. He stopped at a red signal, and when the signal turns green, his ICE accelerated normally and I naturally followed. Eventually he stopped again at the next red signal.

Then my wife complained: his start dash from green signal is too slow! He should drive more quickly or we'll be late for the appointment!

So she is also spoiled with Tesla :)

My 2nd Tesla moment came from my wife, sitting in the passenger seat. We somehow a little bit in a hurry for an appointment, and I was driving a two-lane (one lane each direction) road, when I had one car in front of me. He stopped at a red signal, and when the signal turns green, his ICE accelerated normally and I naturally followed. Eventually he stopped again at the next red signal.

Then my wife complained: his start dash from green signal is too slow! He should drive more quickly or we'll be late for the appointment!

So she is also spoiled with Tesla :)

love this. I recently found out my hubby's been pricing out turbo vs supercharger addition for our Porsche 911 Cab, which is his occasional fun drive. When I asked him about it this morning, he said "was feeling a little slow after driving the Tesla".

Not quite a Tesla moment, but made me smile. (and mine's the slow version)

love this. I recently found out my hubby's been pricing out turbo vs supercharger addition for our Porsche 911 Cab, which is his occasional fun drive. When I asked him about it this morning, he said "was feeling a little slow after driving the Tesla".

Not quite a Tesla moment, but made me smile. (and mine's the slow version)

Wow, that's definitely another cool Tesla moment!

My MS doesn't arrive for another couple of weeks, but when the husband and I ordered ours a couple of weeks ago, I was so excited, I couldn't wait to tell anyone who would listen. So Monday morning arrives and my 33 fifth graders (10 and 11 year olds) walk in. I greeted them, went through the schedule for the day, and while they went about working on their morning stuff, I discreetly projected the screenshot from the My Tesla page of our build. I sat quietly, waiting. One student noticed the picture, and suddenly, the class went nuts, asking me all sorts of questions. Many of them knew exactly what car it was. They were so stinkin' excited, you'd think THEY were the ones getting the car. We spent about 45 minutes discussing Tesla, Elon Musk, Space X, solar power, Mars, innovations, the future, etc. We only stopped our discussion because they had to go to their reading group. :tongue:

Later that week, my super shy student came running into the classroom shouting, "Yo, Mrs. P! Mrs. P!! I was coming back from the bathroom and I saw a white Tesla with some sick grey rims driving by! It. Was. AWESOME!!"

Tesla moments despite not actually having the Tesla yet! Can't wait for it to get here!

Thanks! Very, very happy to be here! :smile:

San Jose was the first time I ever TOUCHED a Model S. Was even near one.

Here is my story, including a Tesla Moment.

I live in Hong Kong. Read about the Model S in 2012, very excited! Finally put down the HKD equivalent of 5,000 USD in the beginning of December 2012. I work as a pilot. At the end of month, I got a last minute change, flying into San Francisco. Rented a car (no Model S rentals back then), drove up and spent New Years Eve with friends in Healdsburg. Next day, the very first day of 2013, I went to Santana Row, with some relatives living near by.

Imagine, I put down a deposit for a car I only read about on the internet. I had never been close to one - yet. So here I was, finally at the Tesla Store. At the time, waiting time for a test drive was about 2 weeks. I told the sales rep that I came all the way from Hong Kong, and I had a deposit down already for a Model S. He slotted me in for a test drive, and I was so ecstatic. He let me floor the car totally, although it was limited to ... I think 65 mph. Not to worry, I really got confirmed that this was THE EV that would finally spark the EVolution.

Having just seen the launch event video recently, I had to try this of course:

This was my very first Tesla Moment. Maybe not as funny or awesome as others posted here, but it had a very significant impact on me.

Had I only had the cash to buy some TSLA stock back then .........

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one today. Went through the McDonalds drive through. Kid at the window knew what the car was and complimented me on it, said how he loves Teslas, etc... made me feel pretty good. Then after handing my change to me he says "so, since you have a Model S let me ask you something... would you like to donate to XYZ charity today to help starving children?" Ugggg. I say sure, hand him the loose change (the better part of a dollar) and prepare to drive forawrd. Thats when he thanks me and says "You know, as a Tesla owner I was expecting you to lat least give a whole dollar". :rolleyes: I was not amused. However it does remind me of the recent South Park episode with the Whole Foods cashier asking for donations. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one today. Went through the McDonalds drive through. Kid at the window knew what the car was and complimented me on it, said how he loves Teslas, etc... made me feel pretty good. Then after handing my change to me he says "so, since you have a Model S let me ask you something... would you like to donate to XYZ charity today to help starving children?" Ugggg. I say sure, hand him the loose change (the better part of a dollar) and prepare to drive forawrd. Thats when he thanks me and says "You know, as a Tesla owner I was expecting you to lat least give a whole dollar". :rolleyes: I was not amused.

My usual response to that is, "I spent it all on the car."